PDA

View Full Version : hard to shift into second

dirtrider77
06-22-2009, 07:59 PM
so i put a used but good condition oem clutch basket, plates, inner hub and all in my 450...also put in a new gasket and sprayed it wit "copper spray-a-gasket" .... i put some rotella gear oil in it to use while im waiting on the oil i ordered....when i go to shift into first it isnt very smooth, and when i go to shift to second, sometimes it is hard to pull up the shift lever...and when i start in gear with clutch pulled in it will start and go forwards 3 or 4 feet....

so are all these problems caused because my clutch is too loose and not adjusted??

or do i have a bent shift fork??

or is rotella gear oil junk??

anything else??

thanks

wckedclownz69
06-22-2009, 08:16 PM
did you adjust you clutch near the case and i always use honda gn 4... did you soak the clutches in oil too before putting them in??

dirtrider77
06-22-2009, 08:20 PM
im waiting on belray gear save oil to come in...ive heard it works pretty good

and no i didnt soak them in oil...they werent new and had been in a bike before...should i take em out and soak them??

would that fix the problem

and nope i havent adjusted near the case...but i do notice the clutch arm thing on the case vibrated back and forth while idleing indicating that it is loose...so thats prolly the problem?

so i guess tomorrow i will soak my plates and adjust my clutch...thanks

sound logical to everyone??

wckedclownz69
06-22-2009, 08:45 PM
well if you dont put them in oil before putting them together they can get hot burn up and stick together...which causes them not to work.. and check your transmission side and make sure it has enough oil..some people dont realize there are 2 sides to put oil in...

dirtrider77
06-22-2009, 08:58 PM
ok i will soak em tomorrow...and the oil is good

i changed both sides today and put new oil in..then ran it for 30 minutes and checked oil again

hope i didnt burn up those plates..lol

good thing i got extras

Butter
06-22-2009, 09:57 PM
No, you don't need to soak used clutches. Thats not your problem. The problem is you haven't adjusted to clutch at all, and its dragging so bad it never fully disengages. Sit back adjust it both at the engine, and lever. Get that completely right, and you'll be fine.

dirtrider77
06-22-2009, 10:06 PM
thank goodness!

i didnt think i would have to soak used plates

wckedclownz69
06-23-2009, 08:22 AM
either used or not i always dip mine in oil before i put them.. better safe then sorry

Butter
06-23-2009, 11:03 AM
Yeah man, I do the same, but figuring its def. not going to cause that problem. If he changed his oil, I would think he gave it a quick cycle, shut it off, and topped off if needed, and not put oil in it, start it, and then instantly put it in gear and go, but who knows. That short cycle soaked in enough on used plates. I could be wrong but either way, wouldn't cause the shifting problem. If he toasted them that way, then he'll notice it slipping like hell when he rides it.

dirtrider77
06-23-2009, 12:06 PM
yep i changed oil ran it for a minute and then topped it back off...

and the clutch doesnt slip at all

but sometimes (like once or twice in 2 hours of riding) it will be hard to shift into second

and i adjusted my clutch near the case to where there was a nickles width of play and it is still a little rough shifting to first to take off, and still goes forwards a bit when starting in gear??

??????????

wckedclownz69
06-23-2009, 01:14 PM
have no clue about the shifting but when you adjust the bottom you have to re adjust the top too...

dirtrider77
06-23-2009, 02:04 PM
the top adjustment is screwed all the way in, and the bottom was adjusted so there would be about a nickels width of play in the lever.

Scro
06-23-2009, 02:10 PM
Was the basket you put in grooved at all? If you're clutch is adjusted properly, the basket was probably grooved.

Butter
06-23-2009, 02:11 PM
Don't adjust the lever all the way one way. You can't adjust it as you go now. Put the lever around the middle, then adjust your bottom tight. Then go back to the lever and I run a dime's worth if play in my lever. Just enough not to drag, and enough throw to lockup when all the way out. As the clutch wears it will change too, thats why you leave adjustment at the lever so you dont have to constantly adjust at the motor.

dirtrider77
06-23-2009, 02:28 PM
the fingers of the basket where the last plate goes wasnt grooved, but the basket had some slight bumps/grooves where the majority of the plates slide in

Scro
06-23-2009, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by dirtrider77
the fingers of the basket where the last plate goes wasnt grooved, but the basket had some slight bumps/grooves where the majority of the plates slide in

That's probably contributing to your problem. There shouldn't be any grooves in the basket. All the flanges of the basket should be flat. When a basket gets grooved, you can adjust on your clutch all day long, but those grooves aren't going to allow the clutches to be completely disengaged.

dirtrider77
06-23-2009, 02:51 PM
well atleast i know my problem, got any good reccomendations on a cheap but good clutch basket??

how are the vortex baskets that are like $150?

2006black450
06-23-2009, 03:03 PM
i have a vortex basket in my 450 never had any problems with it