PDA

View Full Version : wont turn over completely

Sweendogie
06-22-2009, 06:35 PM
my quad wont complete a stroke.... i can roll it back and forth and it will only complete about a half a stroke and stop at the same place each time, i pulled the spark plug still nothing and i pulled the oil filter and it doesnt look like theres any shavings in it... any ideas?

markvette
06-22-2009, 06:46 PM
check your timing. sounds like it jumped time and the piston is hitting a valve.

Mark

Sweendogie
06-23-2009, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by markvette
check your timing. sounds like it jumped time and the piston is hitting a valve.

Mark

alright this might be a dumb question to ask but how can i make sure its proper timing if i cant get the piston to top dead center.... or how would i reset the timing if the piston is hitting a valve because that might be my problem

Sweendogie
06-23-2009, 01:11 AM
just checked the timing and it looks to be fine.... thats as close to TDC as i can get so it looks off

Sweendogie
06-23-2009, 01:15 AM
heres another picture

markvette
06-23-2009, 08:20 AM
looks to be off if you are at top dead center on compression stroke. pull the cams out and spark plug if it has jumped time it should turn over then. with the cams out the valves will be all the way up unless you dropped a valve. do you have slack in the cam chain ?

Mark

Ride1Rob
06-23-2009, 09:55 AM
The cams are in line with each other. Someone has retarded the exhaust cam but their in line. Like he said though, if you know how you should pull those cams to make sure your piston and valves didn't touch. My guess is that one of your bearings is seizing up.

Sweendogie
06-23-2009, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by markvette
looks to be off if you are at top dead center on compression stroke. pull the cams out and spark plug if it has jumped time it should turn over then. with the cams out the valves will be all the way up unless you dropped a valve. do you have slack in the cam chain ?

Mark

theres no slack in the chain but i couldnt get it to tdc when i took that picture... thats as far as the piston will revolve to the top.... it wasnt running when it started doing this we just tried to turn it over and it stopped all of the sudden... i had it at a dealership before all this started happening

Sweendogie
06-23-2009, 01:14 PM
how big of a pain is it to pull the head off the cylinder... ive never done it before i have a manual, but it says something about the mounting bolts being inline when you reinstall them... i dont want to mess anything up more than it already is...

Sweendogie
06-23-2009, 06:07 PM
look what i found!.... a washer.... where does it look like this came from? my dealers were pretty ****ty since i refused parts so could i ***** to the owner?.... question... does that look like the valves would seal good enough to where i would be able to ride on it or do i need to replace the piston and head....
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b61/sweendogie/IMGP2116-1.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b61/sweendogie/IMGP2117.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b61/sweendogie/IMGP2119-1.jpg

BakerRacing40
06-23-2009, 07:19 PM
i'd be picced!!! look at your cylinder wall hows it look? how deep are the scars on the head and piston? if its not too deep i'd go ahead and put a piston in it clean up the head and possibly get new valves.. but have to feel to see if good or not.. and you still never know if it'll blow or not

Sweendogie
06-23-2009, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by BakerRacing40
i'd be picced!!! look at your cylinder wall hows it look? how deep are the scars on the head and piston? if its not too deep i'd go ahead and put a piston in it clean up the head and possibly get new valves.. but have to feel to see if good or not.. and you still never know if it'll blow or not

cylinder walls are fine... theres a bunch of small dents in the valves and the piston but nothing deep.... should i ***** at the dealership?... theres no way i could of done that... and they were pretty ****ty with me for refusing parts check out this thread

dealership problem (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=398440)

BakerRacing40
06-23-2009, 07:44 PM
i remember when you first posted that thread.. i'd still be scared to run it, honestly.. man this really sucks for you man this kind of stuff is expensive.. new piston for sure though.. if you get new valves stay with titanium valves not steel your engine wont rev worth a crap.. the washer had to of came through the intake side so if it was caught half in and half out of the valve, it may have damaged the valve seat and the top of the valve.. so you need to remove your valves to inspect them entirely.. dealership wise i don't see them doin sheet.. they appear to be worthless to you so far doubt it'll change but i'd be doin something.. not sure what though.. whats the washer look like its off of?

BakerRacing40
06-23-2009, 08:11 PM
sweendogie sent you a pm to check out for parts?

Sweendogie
06-23-2009, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by BakerRacing40
i remember when you first posted that thread.. i'd still be scared to run it, honestly.. man this really sucks for you man this kind of stuff is expensive.. new piston for sure though.. if you get new valves stay with titanium valves not steel your engine wont rev worth a crap.. the washer had to of came through the intake side so if it was caught half in and half out of the valve, it may have damaged the valve seat and the top of the valve.. so you need to remove your valves to inspect them entirely.. dealership wise i don't see them doin sheet.. they appear to be worthless to you so far doubt it'll change but i'd be doin something.. not sure what though.. whats the washer look like its off of?

they are a pretty prestigious dealership... im not sure what it came off of we've been trying to think about what it could of came off of.... my bike would turn over before i took it to the dealer and i took it to them whole... they gave it back to me with the carb out of it and the intake boot wide open not covered up or anything... im pretty crappy im going to call up there tomorrow and talk to the owner and see if i can get anything out of him this time im going to go with my dad... it sucks being 18 years old ive been treated like i was a little kid ever since i dropped my quad off

Exrider434
06-24-2009, 11:32 PM
maybe the dealer dropped somethin down the intake while removing the carb?? i saw in the other thread, there was parts missing for the carb?? Maybe thats where they went....

I'd definitely be complaining to the dealer. They should know not to leave the motor wide open like that.

Let us know what happens with it.

Sweendogie
06-24-2009, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Exrider434
maybe the dealer dropped somethin down the intake while removing the carb?? i saw in the other thread, there was parts missing for the carb?? Maybe thats where they went....

I'd definitely be complaining to the dealer. They should know not to leave the motor wide open like that.

Let us know what happens with it.

it doesn't look like anything that could come off of the carb...me and my dad have a meeting with the owner tomorrow morning hopefully i get somewhere with this... i think im going to shoot for new valves piston and a cylinder just to be safe any other suggestions?... is there anyway it could of cause any damage to the bottom end of the engine? should i be worried enough to have them inspect it? the quad never ran with the washer in the engine, we could only turn it over so should i be alright?.... the worst part about all of this is that i needed this to be ready to ride by the 4th of july for a trip to kentucky that ive been planning for the passed couple of months but oh well ill let you guys know how it goes

Sweendogie
06-25-2009, 09:32 AM
okay i went into the dealership and met with the owner and he said the head and piston were fine to just sand the imperfections out of them and it would be alright... he also checked the valve seals and they were fine... he bought me 3 quarts of fully synthetic oil, some engine ice, head gasket, oil filter and a sparkplug.... will my piston be alright if i just sand it?

daddio
06-25-2009, 10:21 AM
Can you post more pictures of that washer, form different angles.
Is it a copper washer?

It almost looks like the washer that should be under the 6 mm cap on your cam chain tensioner.

Either way, I would insist on a new head, valves, piston, rings and cyl.

Sombody was careless at their shop when the quad was left without a carb on it.

Sweendogie
06-25-2009, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by daddio
Can you post more pictures of that washer, form different angles.
Is it a copper washer?

It almost looks like the washer that should be under the 6 mm cap on your cam chain tensioner.

Either way, I would insist on a new head, valves, piston, rings and cyl.

Sombody was careless at their shop when the quad was left without a carb on it.

i actually cant find it.... ill check my dads truck when he gets home but that guy might have kept it... it wasnt copper though

Dansc90
07-27-2009, 09:20 AM
My 06 did the same thing in practice the one day. I checked everything over in the top end and it was fine. I'd Check the crank. Thats what mine was.