PDA

View Full Version : i just dont know what to do....

gcart2
06-22-2009, 06:12 PM
well here is my situation...

not really a problem, just a chance to make more money.

I will soon be seventeen. I am entering my junior year in High School. My school is twelve miles away from my home.

I currently work full time making decent money. I have to save up 1500 bucks for insurance (prepay for the year). i CAN work half days (early release from school) during the school year. My job is 20 miles from my house, and about 30 from my school. If i were to work during the school year i would have to drive to school (12 miles), then to work(30 miles), then home(20 miles) all in a day. I would be making about 150 bucks a week, maybe 200.

thats just part of it.

I own a trx 450r. i could sell for around 6k. I love riding, i love training, i just dont love racing. I took this last season off and played football and did weightlifting, which was fun. However i would rather make money. rracing is getting too expensive considering race gas is 10 bucks a gallon, a hundred bucks to sign up for a season and like 30 bcks a race.

I was thinking, if i were to sell my quad i could pick up a nice used streetbike which would run me 5-6k. I know insurace and all but i think it would be fun. a few of my buddies have em and i think i would be okay without riding. plus i could get 30+ miles to the gallon out of a 600cc streetbike compared to my trucks 17.

Idk what do you think?

how hard is it to get out of riding cold turkey haha?

ZeroLogic
06-22-2009, 06:53 PM
Save your money.

BakerRacing40
06-22-2009, 07:01 PM
if it's paid for keep it and buy a bike and make payments till you graduate and then work hard to pay it off then?

SRH
06-22-2009, 07:18 PM
i wouldnt get a street bike, if your not into racing sell your quad, good luck with 6k regardless of how nice it is, youll probably only get 4-5k , keep the quad and ride it for fun, or sell it bank the money and work

06-22-2009, 07:25 PM
just be a weekend Croom rider like the rest of us over this way. If its in your blood you can stop riding you will always think about it. Your lucky to have what you have at your age though. Maybe the job is the thing that needs to be changed. Jobs are hard to find right now but to give up a lot of things this job better pay some big bucks. I rather get by and have fun than be rich and not enjoy things.

gcart2
06-22-2009, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
just be a weekend Croom rider like the rest of us over this way. If its in your blood you can stop riding you will always think about it. Your lucky to have what you have at your age though. Maybe the job is the thing that needs to be changed. Jobs are hard to find right now but to give up a lot of things this job better pay some big bucks. I rather get by and have fun than be rich and not enjoy things.

everything i own is paid for. i have been working full time since i was in middle school. i bought my truck for seven thousand (half and half with my mom). quad is also paid for.

the job i am not gonna let go. i looked for a job all year. i found this and i enjoy it.

SRH, yea that sounds good. i was gonna put it up for six and not go any lower than five. i just need to do something for gas mileage.

i would never finance something (other than a home). if i cant afford it, i dont need it.

UNBROKEN
06-22-2009, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by gcart2
everything i own is paid for. i have been working full time since i was in middle school. i bought my truck for seven thousand (half and half with my mom). quad is also paid for.

the job i am not gonna let go. i looked for a job all year. i found this and i enjoy it.

SRH, yea that sounds good. i was gonna put it up for six and not go any lower than five. i just need to do something for gas mileage.

i would never finance something (other than a home). if i cant afford it, i dont need it.

id say get a streetbike if ure parents let you , finacing isnt that bad, u will build credit at a young age which will be good when u go to buy a house later on u will have lower intrest rates , u live in flordia which is better because its nice year round u could sell ure car and use that money towards a streetbike , and when u need to take the women out ask dad nicely for his car :D

gcart2
06-22-2009, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by UNBROKEN
id say get a streetbike if ure parents let you , finacing isnt that bad, u will build credit at a young age which will be good when u go to buy a house later on u will have lower intrest rates , u live in flordia which is better because its nice year round u could sell ure car and use that money towards a streetbike , and when u need to take the women out ask dad nicely for his car :D

thats another thing, not selling the truck, i need both. i pull way too many trailers.

plus, how cool would it be to have my bike in the bed of my truck.

250Renvy
06-22-2009, 10:54 PM
In regard to your question about how hard is it to quit riding cold turkey.

At 17/18 it's not that hard. You move out - have no place to store your quad, go to school or get a job and you are so busy with other stuff you don't really think about it.

Then you get done school get a job and finally have some spendin money and you start to get the itch again.

hypersnyper6947
06-22-2009, 11:31 PM
I think your crazy, i would never sell that quad for a bike. You have what close to 10 grand in the quad, you will kick your self later for sure. Suck it up, the truck does not get that bad of mpg. I kinda agree with flewbyu352 get a better job, 150 a week is pretty weak, no offense.

I know getting out of school early to go to work seems pretty cool now, but you will look back on it and wish you stayed. High school is awesome dont give it up to work. Trust me.

gcart2
06-23-2009, 04:24 AM
Originally posted by hypersnyper6947
I think your crazy, i would never sell that quad for a bike. You have what close to 10 grand in the quad, you will kick your self later for sure. Suck it up, the truck does not get that bad of mpg. I kinda agree with flewbyu352 get a better job, 150 a week is pretty weak, no offense.

I know getting out of school early to go to work seems pretty cool now, but you will look back on it and wish you stayed. High school is awesome dont give it up to work. Trust me.

9 bucks an hour. while in school i would get 25 hours a week. minus taxes.

Regular_Joe
06-23-2009, 06:29 AM
Not to be a jerk but your looking at things all wrong. I ride motorcycles and so many times I hear crap about how much I must save on gas. Wrong. If it was my only means of transportation maybe. Gas may be cheaper but everything else is more expensive. Tires last about 5k miles. Chains and sprockets last about 10k miles. You need gear (helmet, gloves, jacket, etc.). The biggest thing to consider, at 17 years old, a 600cc sportbike is going to be approx $2,000 year in insurance.

So your looking at an initial cost of $6000 for a nice used bike, $500 for gear (minimum), $500 yr for tires (minimum), and probably $2,000 yr for insurance. Thats a hell of a lot of money to avoid putting gas in your truck.

fastredrider44
06-23-2009, 08:43 AM
I bought my bike to save gas... I don't ever ride it to save gas. It's pure pleasure. It does get good gas mileage, but I only recreational ride it.

You will regret selling your fourwheeler, period.

Save your money. Save save save. Buy a bike next year or the year after, but keep the quad and save your money.

CNC_guy
06-23-2009, 08:44 AM
^regular joe has a good point.

My advice would be to keep the quad if you enjoy riding at all. I went through the exact same thing at your age and ended up selling everything quad related. The thing is, a year after selling everything, I didn't have a thing to show for the money I got from selling what I had.

I went to college, got married then started a family and was just able to get back into riding about 3yrs ago. I went over 10yrs without anything to ride and I missed it terribly.

Once the quad that's paid for is gone, it's hard to get back into riding because you hit that stage in your life when you need to be spending money on all sorts of other things and it's hard to justify spending money on a new quad.

300extreme#8
06-23-2009, 09:18 AM
well heres the way I look at it. Your are young, but seem mature bc your keeping a job and paying for your own stuff. i respect that bc many people don't work for their own stuff. But as you get older you will realize what the past was worth. It's fun riding and racing and hanging with those buddies every weekend. But the real world kicks in sooner or later. The money on the quad is gone, you will never get that back. You will be upset when you sell it bc of that. Its not hard to stop riding. Yes you will miss it but you won't regret it b/c the money that it cost to keep it up. I'm 21 and I've raced the the past 6 years. I quit riding last Aug. I am now experiencing back pains, knee aches, and my joints hurt from all the abuse of racing. I'm not trying to sound like a lil B**** but to think of all that money I spent prolly well over 30,000$ (on bike, parts, gas, maintance) just for me to feel like im 50 at my young age. I could have saved that money to help buy a house or something else.

So what i'm saying is. sell the quad, love the past and fun but you will grow out of it. Don't buy a streetbike, the are dangerous and they also get really old when you ride alone all the time. They are only fun for so long, its not like having a dirtbike or quad to go ride and explore. It gets lonely unless you have others riding with you.

Go buy yourself a small car for gas, I got a mits. eclipse and it got around 29-34 mpg. Its nice driving all over town for a whole week and only costing 20 dollars worth of gas.

then if I were you I would buy a boat or something similar that you AND other people could enjoy. Its fun having a group everytime, kinda like riding. Plus the girls love that too...! just my 2 cents.

Sorry about this being so long. but you remind me of me, I've had a job payin for my own stuff since i was 14.... and If I could go back the only thing I would have changed was racing and spending all that money that I will never get back. It was fun and alot of memories, but it wasn't worth it and it didn't make anything of me. Maybe then I would have money now instead of being broke:grr:

JParisi48
06-23-2009, 12:35 PM
im 15 and going to be a junior next year too, i would work part time, and sell your quad and get something your gunna have fun with, dont think about work now dude, have fun, i worked at dunkins for a while until i got enough money to buy what i wanted, (my beautiful kfx450) and then i quit. it was worth it, i have money left over and i spend it when i need to..high school is fun... i hated doing school work, my job work, never getting to ride, and never having any free time... get a better paying part time job, and you can still have fun... thats what i did.. JMO

scuzz
06-23-2009, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
Save your money.

^^^^^^^
This.

gcart2
06-23-2009, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by 300extreme#8
well heres the way I look at it. Your are young, but seem mature bc your keeping a job and paying for your own stuff. i respect that bc many people don't work for their own stuff. But as you get older you will realize what the past was worth. It's fun riding and racing and hanging with those buddies every weekend. But the real world kicks in sooner or later. The money on the quad is gone, you will never get that back. You will be upset when you sell it bc of that. Its not hard to stop riding. Yes you will miss it but you won't regret it b/c the money that it cost to keep it up. I'm 21 and I've raced the the past 6 years. I quit riding last Aug. I am now experiencing back pains, knee aches, and my joints hurt from all the abuse of racing. I'm not trying to sound like a lil B**** but to think of all that money I spent prolly well over 30,000$ (on bike, parts, gas, maintance) just for me to feel like im 50 at my young age. I could have saved that money to help buy a house or something else.

So what i'm saying is. sell the quad, love the past and fun but you will grow out of it. Don't buy a streetbike, the are dangerous and they also get really old when you ride alone all the time. They are only fun for so long, its not like having a dirtbike or quad to go ride and explore. It gets lonely unless you have others riding with you.

Go buy yourself a small car for gas, I got a mits. eclipse and it got around 29-34 mpg. Its nice driving all over town for a whole week and only costing 20 dollars worth of gas.

then if I were you I would buy a boat or something similar that you AND other people could enjoy. Its fun having a group everytime, kinda like riding. Plus the girls love that too...! just my 2 cents.

Sorry about this being so long. but you remind me of me, I've had a job payin for my own stuff since i was 14.... and If I could go back the only thing I would have changed was racing and spending all that money that I will never get back. It was fun and alot of memories, but it wasn't worth it and it didn't make anything of me. Maybe then I would have money now instead of being broke:grr:

i will end up selling the quad.

its about time for a rebuild and i think i will sell it before it goes (not bad just needs a piston).

i need a new toy, i figured a bike would be my toy and transportation, guess thats not the smart thing to do.

reptikes
06-23-2009, 04:01 PM
I would be making about 150 bucks a week, maybe 200.

I hope your not selling your quad to make that :confused: !

reptikes
06-23-2009, 04:06 PM

And what ever you do... don't listen to this guy! Keep the quad and enjoy it and save up and get the ROCKET!

Pappy
06-23-2009, 04:30 PM
i will end up selling the quad.

its about time for a rebuild and i think i will sell it before it goes (not bad just needs a piston).

i need a new toy, i figured a bike would be my toy and transportation, guess thats not the smart thing to do.

Sounds to me like you already know what you want to do:p

fastredrider44
06-23-2009, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
Sounds to me like you already know what you want to do:p

What he wants to do and what he needs to do are two different things. Two things to live by: No regrets, and well, thats pretty much just it. No regrets. LOL.

Keep the quad and you will regret it a year from now. Sell the quad, and you will regret it. We have all had our experiences. None of us can do it over. Just think every possible situation over, and talk it over with people you trust. Hope that you make the better choice of the two.

gcart2
06-23-2009, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by reptikes
I hope your not selling your quad to make that :confused: !

no im selling my quad because it cost me 200 bucks a week to race. being sixteen and working full time and cant take the hit of being out of work for a few months because i broke a leg or something.

Originally posted by pappy
Sounds to me like you already know what you want to do

what i want to do?....?.....?

i want to get away from the quad thing. right now im riding once a month trying not to break it. I want to make money, not a lot, just enough to have a constant flow of money.

Last year i busted my *** all summer working 50-70 hour weeks trying to save enough money to last me all year. If i am bring in money after for paying for gas and bs'ing on the weekends then i will be so happy.

it stressed me out going from having plenty of money to getting into the hundreds and starting to sweat.

I am an athlete, play football, weightlifting, cross country etc. i started last year benching 120lbs and squatting 135lbs. horrible. i worked my way up to benching 225-250lbs, squatting 300-350lbs. it was fun. but its not worth being broke.

did yall know in florida if you pay cash for a street bike, it is not required to have insurance. it would be smart to have some minimal stuff but its not required. just something i would add in.

by the time i am eighteen i will be making 50k a year. sounds crazy. The company i work for is a family business (my family). i will be a truck broker after i am done with the required schooling. do to the fact we have been around forever it is gonna help me out. my brother did the same thing, started working in the shop (as i am now) and moved into the office(making the real bucks). hes twenty , has a truck paid cash for (05 f-150, 7 inch lift, 37" tires, 22" wheels, etc.) and owns a home (financed haha) and is doing very well. i want to do the same.

Pappy
06-23-2009, 05:49 PM
I will type it slower.....

It...already...sounds....like....you...know...what ....you...want...to....do:p

gcart2
06-23-2009, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
I will type it slower.....

It...already...sounds....like....you...know...what ....you...want...to....do:p

ur an ***:p

LTRracer4
06-23-2009, 06:08 PM
First off, saying you cant risk gettin hurt because you will lose your job. save your breath and say that when you have a good career. For now the fun will out weigh your highschool job.

Second, whoever said to quit working and be a kid :huh Thats Bs. Working now is the best thing you can do imo. The respect for money wont go away, and that kid that said that will probably be up to his eyes in debt in 5 years. The fact that you said you dont want any bills to pay is awesome. Something i should learn from:eek2: The way this world is the only way to get the things you want is to work for them, and i think every teenager should know this.

As for your situation, if your parents are behind you getting a street bike then come up with a decent down payment to let them know you're serious. Have them Co-sign with you, and then work your *** off to make your payments. Your parents will gain respect for your responsibility, and you will learn the way interest and finance charges work. if your parents are cool with everything and you cant make a full months payment once or twice, then they can help you out a bit. Better now then when you buy a house, rent an apartment, buy a new car ect.

416exfreak
06-23-2009, 06:11 PM
did yall know in florida if you pay cash for a street bike, it is not required to have insurance. it would be smart to have some minimal stuff but its not required. just something i would add in.

I was wondering if you knew that.

As long as its not financed, you aren't required to have insurance.

I would still keep PIP. That way if you get dead, at least whoever's car you hit will get fixed:ermm:

Just kiddin' man!

But in all seriousness, if you do get a bike, be careful.. people in this state lose driving skill each year, I swear...:scary:

gcart2
06-23-2009, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
I was wondering if you knew that.

As long as its not financed, you aren't required to have insurance.

I would still keep PIP. That way if you get dead, at least whoever's car you hit will get fixed:ermm:

Just kiddin' man!

But in all seriousness, if you do get a bike, be careful.. people in this state lose driving skill each year, I swear...:scary:

yea i know they are dangerous, but cant be any worse than racing mx every weekend.

Originally posted by LTRacer4
As for your situation, if your parents are behind you getting a street bike then come up with a decent down payment to let them know you're serious. Have them Co-sign with you, and then work your *** off to make your payments. Your parents will gain respect for your responsibility, and you will learn the way interest and finance charges work. if your parents are cool with everything and you cant make a full months payment once or twice, then they can help you out a bit. Better now then when you buy a house, rent an apartment, buy a new car ect.

i must have mislead everyone, when i sell my quad, i will use that money plus maybe a little more to buy the bike. cash.

300extreme#8
06-23-2009, 06:22 PM
And what ever you do... don't listen to this guy! Keep the quad and enjoy it and save up and get the ROCKET!

U gotta grow up sometime guy. You only see one doug gust. Not many guys are old and still goin with racing and making money.

gcart2
06-23-2009, 06:43 PM
i am lookin at something like this.

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/2007-SUZUKI-GSXR-600-95179276

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/2007-SUZUKI-GSX--R600-94955806

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/2006-HONDA-CBR600RR-95055314

http://www.cycletrader.com/find/listing/2005-HONDA-CBR-600RR-95154047

i feel a lot more comfortable on hondas (not because i like honda over suzuki, just because i went and sat on them)

fastredrider44
06-23-2009, 10:22 PM
U gotta grow up sometime guy. You only see one doug gust. Not many guys are old and still goin with racing and making money.

That's why I race now. I'm young enough that it's not killing me yet. I could save money and quit racing, but I can't start back at 50 years old when I do have money. Gotta do it now so I don't regret not doing it later.

gcart... If your scared of getting hurt on ur wheeler, then a streetbike is not a wise choice. You case a jump and go over the bars, it hurts. You hit a car broadside at 55 when they pull out in front of you, (plan on cars pulling out in front of you) Your lucky to live.

I would suggest either saving your money to buy a bike later, or financing a bike. You will regret selling your fourwheeler at 17.

06-24-2009, 07:11 AM
I've seen too many people die on bikes:( Almost everyone involved in a motorcycle accident dies. Hit the car broadside at 55? You're probably dead. Make a turn and someone blows a red light? You're most likely dead. It's dangerous. Sure, everyone says that they'll ride slow so they don't get hurt. But EVERYONE.. once they get a feel for the power, find themselve hammering on it.

Honestly, you're complaining about racing, then why sell the quad? Why race? You can put the motor a little more reliable on pump gas and just be a weekend warrior like 80% of us. Gather up a couple friends, hang out. Relax and ride around. It's great.

I think it would be stupid to sell the quad. That's my opinion. Save up and get a little crappy 90's civic that gets 38-40mpg thats a beater. That's what my dad used to do. Dirt cheap and they'll last forever with a little basic maintaince.

300extreme#8
06-24-2009, 08:09 AM
I've always wanted a crotch rocket. They would be fun and exciting. I used to ride my friends a lot. But man they are too dangerous, but bc they are bike but bc there are too many people in cars that can't drive. It doesn't matter how skilled you r on a motorcycle, when a car doesn't see you and pulls out and hits u then ur good as gone.
I was on my way to the bank to get a loan for one and on the way a guy on a bike was crossing through a GREEN light when an oncoming car tried to beat him and make the turn. Seeing a guy fly 20ft in the air was a good enough sign. I turned around.

reptikes
06-25-2009, 12:16 PM

Im not talking about racing, i'm talking about riding in general. I couldn't give up riding (i'll be 30 this year) i'll ride till my clocks up.

fastredrider44
06-25-2009, 12:19 PM
Im not talking about racing, i'm talking about riding in general. I couldn't give up riding (i'll be 30 this year) i'll ride till my clocks up.

I wish I could say that. Looks like my riding will be done when my knees and back can't take the abuse. Then I guess I'll get a utility.

andrew450r
06-25-2009, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
I've seen too many people die on bikes:( Almost everyone involved in a motorcycle accident dies. Hit the car broadside at 55? You're probably dead. Make a turn and someone blows a red light? You're most likely dead. It's dangerous. Sure, everyone says that they'll ride slow so they don't get hurt. But EVERYONE.. once they get a feel for the power, find themselve hammering on it.

Honestly, you're complaining about racing, then why sell the quad? Why race? You can put the motor a little more reliable on pump gas and just be a weekend warrior like 80% of us. Gather up a couple friends, hang out. Relax and ride around. It's great.

I think it would be stupid to sell the quad. That's my opinion. Save up and get a little crappy 90's civic that gets 38-40mpg thats a beater. That's what my dad used to do. Dirt cheap and they'll last forever with a little basic maintaince.

x2

CNC_guy
06-25-2009, 12:41 PM

^This

I'm 35 and can't see myself giving up my 450R anytime in the near future. I still climb hills and try stuff my teenage and 20something riding buddies won't try.

gcart2
06-25-2009, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by CNC_guy
^This

I'm 35 and can't see myself giving up my 450R anytime in the near future. I still climb hills and try stuff my teenage and 20something riding buddies won't try.

idk i went a few months without riding and didnt look back.

i was thinking about getting something like this:

http://lakeland.craigslist.org/cto/1230157060.html

MX MaNiAc 06
06-26-2009, 08:10 AM
Are you off your rocker kid? Sell that 400ex!

gcart2
06-26-2009, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by MX MaNiAc 06
Are you off your rocker kid? Sell that 400ex!

400ex has been gone for a while,

sold it for 3700. i raped that guy lol.