PDA

View Full Version : Big gun rev box. Worth the money?

lyrikz74
06-22-2009, 06:04 PM
I have a stock 400 ex im starting to mod now. Is the rev box something i should bother with getting???

Wheelie
06-22-2009, 06:06 PM
IMO--Most all rev boxes are a waste of money, with the exception of boxes from GT Thunder, TC Racing, and other engine builders.

Buy a timing key, it's cheaper and will yield better gains.

aDviSol2y
06-22-2009, 07:34 PM
I love my big gun cdi. I used to hit the rev limiter just a little to soon. Now its perfect, I never hit it. Plus If you plan on building your motor, sparks recomends not to use a timing key with bore kits.

lyrikz74
06-22-2009, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Wheelie
IMO--Most all rev boxes are a waste of money, with the exception of boxes from GT Thunder, TC Racing, and other engine builders.

Buy a timing key, it's cheaper and will yield better gains.

I should of gave more infor. Im putting on an exhaust, knfilter, and the timing key... Would that be worth it then to buy a rev box???

I read about the sparks and they say if you are going to run over 11 compression dont do it. I dont care what i do in the future, i wouldnt run over 11 compression...

dariusld
06-22-2009, 08:55 PM
I think you see the best gains from a rev box when you also have a cam.

quadrunner13
06-23-2009, 05:22 PM
i love my big gun rev box its amazing:devil: full race 400ex though :)

lyrikz74
06-23-2009, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by quadrunner13
i love my big bun rev box its amazing

thats so funny how you can get 2 people and one person say they are useless and the other wants to have its baby...

what are your mods?? Engine built at all?

red_rider_069
06-23-2009, 05:45 PM
dont buy a rev box unless you install engine mods, such as stroker or big bore, its just a waste of money, and truly i doubt u wont go over 11 compression, for 1 u ride n ride n ride, u aventually gonna need more, so dont say never, and 2 unless u have oversized piston or major mods to ur engine the cdi box isnt going to allow u to go faster.. ur gonna over rev ur bike with stock pistons and float ur valves... not good, anyways i wouldnt buy cdi box unless i did major modifications, i dont need any one talking bad about me on here after this thread, BECAUSE THIS IS MY PERSONAL OPINION/KNOWLEDGE THANK YOU..:macho

aDviSol2y
06-23-2009, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by red_rider_069
dont buy a rev box unless you install engine mods, such as stroker or big bore, its just a waste of money, and truly i doubt u wont go over 11 compression, for 1 u ride n ride n ride, u aventually gonna need more, so dont say never, and 2 unless u have oversized piston or major mods to ur engine the cdi box isnt going to allow u to go faster.. ur gonna over rev ur bike with stock pistons and float ur valves... not good, anyways i wouldnt buy cdi box unless i did major modifications, i dont need any one talking bad about me on here after this thread, BECAUSE THIS IS MY PERSONAL OPINION/KNOWLEDGE THANK YOU..:macho

I agree!

Snipe
06-23-2009, 07:24 PM
only place it will help will be lower gears where you hit the rev limitor but then again your reving a stock motor really high.

red_rider_069
06-23-2009, 07:26 PM
i honestly dont think it will help it at all unless the engine is modded.. rev boxes are intented for high rpm use, and i dont see how it would help in lower gears at all, not bashing on you jsut my knowlegde.. i do know that it will allow you to start your bike in reverse and it will not cut out when u try going fast in reverse on stock engine that is, i climbed hill in reverse all the time, but when i bought my cdi box i didnt realy know much about them either, and i didnt notice the diffrence with my cdi box in my 440 due to that i had the cdi box and i never road a 440 w/o after market cdi to experrience any diffrence. if that makes any sence :)

mfr440
06-24-2009, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by red_rider_069
i honestly dont think it will help it at all unless the engine is modded.. rev boxes are intented for high rpm use, and i dont see how it would help in lower gears at all, not bashing on you jsut my knowlegde.. i do know that it will allow you to start your bike in reverse and it will not cut out when u try going fast in reverse on stock engine that is, i climbed hill in reverse all the time, but when i bought my cdi box i didnt realy know much about them either, and i didnt notice the diffrence with my cdi box in my 440 due to that i had the cdi box and i never road a 440 w/o after market cdi to experrience any diffrence. if that makes any sence :)

I agree with the riders who say there's no real difference, other than the rev limiter. We swapped CDI's on both my 416EX and my buddy's 440EX and noticed no real difference in either quad. We did back to back drag races and then rode around the dunes at Silver Lake last weekend. Both of our motors are built similar, 11:1+, ported, piped, racing gas, etc. Mine has the Sparks key, his 440 doesn't. Unless you are revving your motor out and constantly hitting the rev limiter, I think the aftermarket CDI's are a waste of $$$$. BTW, mine came with the quad, I didn't buy it! ;-)

quadrunner13
06-24-2009, 12:48 PM
i like my rev box because i got a 426 big bore and it helps me with the hole shot i can pull through my gears a little harder. Was it worth the money to me ya in my opinion. but now my quad sounds like it wants to choke itself out once in awhile dont know what that is any opinions. my plug looks perfect so i think my jetting i close.

aDviSol2y
06-24-2009, 12:53 PM
When I put mine in, I did not notice any dif. except for the rev limiter. no perfomance change at all.

honda400ex2003
06-24-2009, 01:24 PM
exactly and the 400 does not make any sort of power that high anyway to make any difference unless you are just dragging or something like that they are pointless, shift to the next gear or just hold it open in 5th, the extra 1000 or 2 is not going to make a difference unless you are going like 2 miles wide open in a straight line cause it takes that long for you to get up to the limiter and get going any faster anyway. steve

red_rider_069
06-24-2009, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by quadrunner13
i like my rev box because i got a 426 big bore and it helps me with the hole shot i can pull through my gears a little harder. Was it worth the money to me ya in my opinion. but now my quad sounds like it wants to choke itself out once in awhile dont know what that is any opinions. my plug looks perfect so i think my jetting i close. have you tried the hole shots with out your rev box? i bet you wont even notice the diffrence :) if u bounce off the gear u over rev so high u actually lose power

red_rider_069
06-24-2009, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by mfr440
I agree with the riders who say there's no real difference, other than the rev limiter. We swapped CDI's on both my 416EX and my buddy's 440EX and noticed no real difference in either quad. We did back to back drag races and then rode around the dunes at Silver Lake last weekend. Both of our motors are built similar, 11:1+, ported, piped, racing gas, etc. Mine has the Sparks key, his 440 doesn't. Unless you are revving your motor out and constantly hitting the rev limiter, I think the aftermarket CDI's are a waste of $$$$. BTW, mine came with the quad, I didn't buy it! ;-)

i did that too, my buddie has stock cdi and i have a G4, he beat me.. we have same mods except he has aluminum syustem and i have carbon, we switched bikes and i still lost, he jsut know when to shift... cdi box made no diffrence.. i had no advantage over him and he had stock :S so ur jsut wasting ur money, id get a port n polish with a valve job if anything becasue the 400ex comes sooo restricted you have no idea... i bet thats one of the best mods u can do after getting pipe and intake,

lyrikz74
06-25-2009, 03:34 PM
Weird, just talked to a guy that sells the big gun rev on ebay and he responded with this.

Hello,
I'm sorry but I called Big Gun and they don't have a Rev Box that
works on the 2008 model TRX400EX. Sorry about that.

Nick @
Powersportsstore

So i guess i cant get one anyways. LOL

KBROOKS400ex
06-25-2009, 11:44 PM
i have a big gun rev box and it works great alot longer gear spands and gives you more power on low-end bc of the higher rev.

red_rider_069
06-27-2009, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by KBROOKS400ex
i have a big gun rev box and it works great alot longer gear spands and gives you more power on low-end bc of the higher rev. second thread that i find and i strongly disagree with your input..:rolleyes: ..