PDA

View Full Version : What shocks to buy

CRBOGGAN
06-22-2009, 02:12 PM
I am new to DRR/drx and my son races MX outdoor and arenacross. He has a 09 DRX90 with stock shocks an I am looking to upgrade. What is the best money spent. Should I just get shocks on stock Aarms or go all the way with long travel. Also what brands does every one like.

coffing918
06-22-2009, 02:33 PM
we like elka or fox

raidernut
06-22-2009, 03:33 PM
Fox stock replacement would be the best bang for your buck

EthansDad
06-22-2009, 09:41 PM
We're running the Fox shox on our DRR 50 this year and liking them so far. They really reduce weight, and take a pounding from my little guy that likes to short doubles. We have had some issues with the bearings, but that was more a lesson in those things need care, cleaning and lots of grease on a regular basis.

Lots of folks on the 90 scene like the elkas, and they might be more proven on the ATV front, but Fox has given us a noticeable improvement in lap times, and great company support overall.

Logan #34's Dad
06-22-2009, 10:18 PM
Well, Logan runs full adjustment Elka's on stock A-arms. He does just fine. I just could not justify the $1600.00 for the long travel A-arms and Shocks for another 3/4 on an inch. HOWEVER, If you got bank - go with the Dave Carter A-Arms and Fox Floats. If I could afford to get all new, that is what I'd go with. Just my opinion. Who knows, he could turn faster lap times if I had the long travel stuff.
I'm going to put a set of 14" long travel shocks on stock a-arms on this weekend and set the sag and see how they look. As long as the shock bottoms out before the frame - I may be good. We'll see and I'll let you know.

QuadJunkies
06-23-2009, 12:22 AM
My Son runs Z-broz racings EXIT/ ARSFX set up and couldnt be more pleased.
I think one key in chosing suspension also will depend on how aggressive the rider is and how long he or she will be on it.
Long travel is def. worth the price tag if you plan on sticking with your quad for awhile ,but will cost more. These kids sure get aggressive fast!

Were just so lucky that we now how so many good choices that are out there for the kids . :)
Good luck!
http://www.pbase.com/image/112383108/original.jpg
http://www.pbase.com/quadjunkies/image/112383071.jpg

drxracing
06-23-2009, 01:40 AM
We run the Z bros exit shocks and long travle as well and they work really great

bulldogfallon
06-23-2009, 09:57 AM
For a 90 long travel would be best....usually for a bigger rider that rides a faster quad.

the Fox stock replacements are really only suited for a 50 IMO.

We have the Fox LT and JB set up and wow is all I can say!!!

All of the previous threads offer good advice as well.

QuadJunkies
06-23-2009, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by bulldogfallon

All of the previous threads offer good advice as well.

Agreed.
There is a few topics in this section that are informative and about the set ups and how they perform.

CRBOGGAN
06-24-2009, 11:28 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. From what I get the best thing to do if you want to keep on with this sport is buy the best you can afford so you have somthing to build on. I am going with fully adjustable ELKAS the only thing is long travel or not if anyone can give there help it is great. From what i understand you gain 1" of travel at the most is this true. Will long travel shocks work with stock a-arms so you could upgrade a-arms later.

QuadJunkies
06-24-2009, 12:21 PM
While travel is important,there is alot more involved in travel than some might not know. Having a ton of travel isnt always a good thing. You also dont want uneven travel between the front and the rear either. You want USABLE travel...
Im publishing an article that talks a little bit about suspesnion 101 here very soon that I think will be informative.
There is way too many variations but yes and everyone is going to have there preference. IMO LT IS worth the extra .
You can take a really long shock but it doesnt nessesarily mean that its a better shock.