PDA

View Full Version : Rolled it and need advice...

dankbud42o
06-22-2009, 09:22 AM
So last night i rolled my bike, flew thru the air like superman and bent my damn steering stem. I guess my renthal bars are pretty damn tough cuz they didnt bend lol. So i know i need a steering stem, but also noticed that my front left tire is tilted in a tiny bit at the top...i didnt see any noticeable bends/breaks or anything. How do i find out what it is thats messed up? I know there's quite a few things it could be, but i dont know where to start to find out exactly what it is that i need to replace..TIA.

timmy400exfast
06-22-2009, 09:25 AM
check and see if your tie rods are bent

dankbud42o
06-22-2009, 09:35 AM
i believe i looked and didnt notice it bent. but its not a huge tilt so its possible i just gotta inspect it closer...but if it was the tie rod would the top be tilted in like that? i was thinking it would be turned left or right if it was the tie rod...?? (idk, im just guessing..?)

procircuit406ex
06-22-2009, 09:45 AM
May have broke the spindle, glad you're okay

dankbud42o
06-22-2009, 09:59 AM
thank you, im glad im ok too :) the helmet worked wonders! i landed helmet first into the grass lol.

im a n00b to all this stuff so if u got a lil more detailed info as how to find out what im looking for that would be greatly appreciated. i googled 400ex spindle (aka knuckle as i found out) to find out what it is...so the spindle is basically how the tire is held on and thats what the hub slips on to? how can i tell if thats the problem? pull the tire off and see if it looks bent? what would be the steps you would go thru to determine the root of this problem?

nakomis0
06-22-2009, 10:48 AM
Not sure if this would of helped or not but I use to bend steering stems alot, but now i leave all the controls and handle bars loose. Not real loose, but loose enough where I can move them myself if i really wanted. So now when I do crash stuff might just get knocked out of place instead of bent.

RIDEREDson
06-22-2009, 11:16 AM
The stock steering stem is the easiest thing in the world to bend. I'm on number 4. More than likely your toe-in might just need to be re adjusted on your tie-rods.

aDviSol2y
06-22-2009, 11:37 AM
Check your ball joints and your spindal. My wife had a blaster and wrecked it. It had the same problem. It took taking it apart and comparing the right side to the left side parts to notice the bends.

bigd's ex
06-22-2009, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by aDviSol2y
It took taking it apart and comparing the right side to the left side parts to notice the bends. [/B]

On a level garage floor or somewhere you can get accurate measurements, put your bike on a stand, remove front tires & start measuring at different points on the knuckle & compare to the otherside. If the knuckle has a bend in it, the measurements will show you where it is. Had the same problem & that's how I found it. Good Luck

dankbud42o
06-22-2009, 12:35 PM
awesome, thanks for the advice guys :) . ill let cha know what i find out :cool:

Originally posted by RIDEREDson
The stock steering stem is the easiest thing in the world to bend. I'm on number 4. More than likely your toe-in might just need to be re adjusted on your tie-rods.

whats "toe-in"?