PDA

View Full Version : 450r or 250r

honda400-4-ever
06-21-2009, 10:16 PM
which one:

1. http://stlouis.craigslist.org/mcy/1232738408.html

2. http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/1220224610.html

if i got the 450r i would probally put a stage 1 cam, high comp piston, k&n, and hmf full system.
???????

thedeatons
06-21-2009, 10:53 PM
Well.... The 250 is nearly done except for suspension, for only $1k more. Rebuilds don't cost too much, and it is a lot lighter.

The 450 is newer, but the 2006+ models have valve problems, and the rebuild cost/labor is much higher.

All depends on what you want. You may be able to ride the 450 for 1-1.5 years, then sell it before you have to dig into it. The R may be similar, but will cost less and you can do it with minimal tools and no formal instructions...

Tough call, unless you have rebuilt 4 strokes before. The only reason to continue to do that over and over is to stay current, ride newer. Otherwise 2 strokes are easier and cheaper all around. If it were a Banshee I would say different, but the 250R actually handles well and is built by Honda.

Honda 250r 001
06-22-2009, 09:29 AM
idk man, wait for a 250r with a aftermarket frame, you wont regret it, suspension is Expensive!!

that R is defeneatly not worth 4,500. PLEASE do not give that for it. there is one thats COMPLETEly decked out for 5,500 in my area. which is kansas. if he would take 3,800 for the one ur looking at it would be better.

hondamancbr03
06-22-2009, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Honda 250r 001

that R is defeneatly not worth 4,500. PLEASE do not give that for it. there is one thats COMPLETEly decked out for 5,500 in my area. which is kansas. if he would take 3,800 for the one ur looking at it would be better.

I completely agree!!! In my area (NW) you could get a decked out R for less......Just purchased mine with after market frame, axis suspension, roll design front and rear for $3,500. I live in Banshee country so R's are selling for less.

honda400-4-ever
06-22-2009, 11:16 AM
the 450r is an 2005. why would i want an aftermarket frame? how well do the 310 kits handle?? i figured with all the stuff im going to do to the 450r it will end up to be another grand so they would be about the same price, but if the guy with the r would go down to 3800 i would probably buy that just because everything is cheaper for it and easier maintenance.

Honda 250r 001
06-22-2009, 11:19 AM
250 is easier to mainain and can be cheaper too. the 310 kit is AWESOME!!! i think you will be happy if your not looking to lug a machine around. 250's shine the most at the dunes imo, because they run fluckin AWESOME! stock frames haev a tenancy to crack. [/B][/QUOTE]

hondamancbr03
06-22-2009, 11:56 AM
If you go with a R that has a stock frame, you can purchse a gusset kit for around $70....The frame will handle most anything you throw at it or in it after that......IMO of coarse!

I sold my 450R to get an 250R because of the cost to rebuild the 4-chokers.

250Renvy
06-22-2009, 01:20 PM
What type of riding are you going to do?

Are you in a hurry? How much cash do you have?

How close are you to ST. LOUIS?

PM me the answers as I have something that may work for you.

honda400-4-ever
06-22-2009, 01:25 PM
i mostly do trails mild to fast, open fields, sand flats...not dunes and my 400ex just doesnt cut it. ive heard that the r is a 2 stroke replica of the 400ex how are they on speed to the 400ex. is a banshee even worth considering??

250Renvy
06-22-2009, 01:58 PM
I'll start by saying I am biased to the 250R. However this is my experience with quads I've had in the last 5 years.

250R - PRO - good for trails, racing, open fields, dunes, gravel pits, just about anything as it can be tuned to any specific riding style. Lots of aftermarket parts sill available. A well tuned, well built 250R is just as reliable as any other mild quad. I've had 20 year old machines still running on the original topend and semi-built machines run on the same topend for 4 years.
- CON - some part availability is getting smaller and thus drives the price up. Some parts fetch premium prices. Even with a 4 gallon tank, fuel consumption is still much higher than a 4-stroke and limits the distance you can drive.

400ex - PRO - very reliable
- CON - not very powerful, loses power as the oil temperature rises, air cooled, poor riding stance IMO - sits tall.

450R - PRO - it's fast. Can ride in 3rd gear without shifting a lot. It'll lug to rev out.
- CON - In stock trim it's a little rough to ride and not very wide. High strung motor meant to be raced and rebuilt very often - rebuids are expensive, all kinds of problems with motors blowing through out the years. Basically any used machine is a ticking time bomb IMO. Mods increase the likelyhood of catastrophic failure.

Z400 - Better than the 400ex but still very high and tippy feel to it.

Banshee - great for straight shooting and high HP, needs lots of work and mods to be decent in trails and track.

honda400-4-ever
06-22-2009, 08:58 PM
im going to postpone the buy for a year cause of money issues so should i just bore, port and polish, and slap a cam in the 400?? how well do u think the 400 will sell if i put that stuff in it?? of course the stuff will be professionally done.

thedeatons
06-23-2009, 10:03 AM
You will get no more money for that stuff, it is still a mildly modded 400EX. Either try to get along with it now, or keep it ad throw money at it, or throw money at it but be prepared to lose that money when you sell it.

The 250R is NOT a replica of the 400EX.... The 40EX is a heavier replica of the 250R. The R came out first, then Honda decided that people may enjoy that chassis geometry with a 4 stroke engine.

If you haven't already you should try gearing the 400EX. Gearing is SUPER important, and can add one year of fun to your quad. Try this: Add 3 teeth to the rear sprocket, and grab a new chain (or add two to the rear and subtract one tooth from the front). This will shorten up your gearing and make it wheelie all the time! I see so many guys with this crazy baja gearing or long MX track gearing, and they never really use it properly. Better to have more fun with shorter gearing.

If you do that, you can always throw the OEM gearing on it when you sell it, and leave the aftermarket gearing for the 250R. Same sprocket bolt pattern.

fulltiltrider
06-24-2009, 03:30 AM
I'd go with the r, but again some of us are biased to the 250. If you want to keep your 400 add a web cam, lectron carb, port the head, good exhaust, and gearing and you'll be surprised what that old 400 will do. I'd personally do that before I bought a 450. Even with those mods the 400 will be very reliable. I built one for a friend, he changed oil regularly and got 5 hard yrs out of it before it needed any maintenence. The 450's are nice but very expensive in the long run. If you want to build up a 450 especially a 04-05 your looking at over 2k just in parts and exhaust. The 04-05 have a known crank bearing issue, I wouldnt attempt to build one up without first replacing the crank and adding the updated collar. You can take your chances with the factory setup but if it goes, look out!!! That 2k will turn into a memory as the pieces from the crank bearings take out your valves, piston, cam.

Just get the 2 stroke !!!!

UnderFire
06-24-2009, 04:38 AM
oh my god, if i had a choice, i would buy the 250r right away, i love the scream of a 2-stroke.

unluckily, if i had a chance to upgrade, i would be forced into a 450 4-Stroke, my dad is biased to 4-Stroke's b/c our old '88 blaster blows up ALOT...

and people have problems with the honda 450, it dosen't have anywhere near the powerband of any other machine in it's class and the suspension is shifty at best, BUY THE 250r!!!!