PDA

View Full Version : How to hot rod my 08 525 outlaw & 06 500 outlaw

wannaride4
06-20-2009, 11:04 PM
Hi there, I was hoping to find some idea's on how to get more out of our outlaw's. On my 525 I put the JD jetting kit in it, my next idea's are to open up the airbox and drop a gear on the front sproket. I have the 4.1 FMF slip on ordered, and I was wondering what header to go with the power bomb or the mega bomb. I also think this coming winter I would like to big bore both the outlaw's, and also I was wondering about the CDI box's, do I need to up grade those. Ok guy's any idea's on what to do or not do.

wannaride4
06-21-2009, 09:41 PM
Well I dropped a tooth on my front sproket ( went to a 13 tooth ) and drilled 4- 1.25" holes in my airbox. I covered the holes with some foam and attached it with velcro. It worked great. Then I took the spark arrester out of my stock muffler while I am waiting for my FMF 4.1 muffler. I really liked the changes, I was able to hold 2nd gear while hillclimbing. I still think a big bore kit sounds fun. Any idea's out there. I am looking at the 560 big bore kit for the 06 500irs, but not sure about the 525irs on what to try.

OutlawBill
06-22-2009, 08:26 AM
Go to the CDI box only if you are hitting the rev-limiter. O the 500 if you go Big bore all so get a new rod it is known weak point for that engine.

wannaride4
06-22-2009, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the idea's, I am not hitting the rev limiter. I feel it is running great, I am just like everyone else, just looking for more power and tourqe. With the stock gearing the wheeler didn't have enough to pull 2nd gear on a hill. Dropping to 13 tooth front sproket helped with the hillclimbing. I just wish I could pull 2nd gear with the stock gearing for the higher wheel speed. I feel it's all about wheel speed.

And thanks for the heads up on the weak rod in the 500's. I hear the 560 big bore kit in the 500's really wake them up. I have had guys say they run harder then the 525's. What does it do to the the dependability?

powertechn2
06-23-2009, 03:25 PM
outta curiosity, what hill cant you pull 2nd gear on?

wannaride4
06-23-2009, 08:41 PM
Well that is hard to explain, but ones where you can't get a run at, or the ones that have a jump in the middle of, you know the ones that make you lose your momenteum on and then you need to gain back the wheel speed. Not the mornal hill that any wheeler can climb, the ones that make you ask yourself y the hell am I doing this. the one's that you don't know if you can climb or not, and the ones that the rest of the people you ride with wont try it. And also the ones that if you don't make it your wheeler takes a major beaten....