PDA

View Full Version : Race gas on the dyno.

ltr311
06-20-2009, 09:51 PM
Just wanted to give you guys some low down. I spent some more time at the dyno tonight with my ktm sx. Dynoed it on 93 octane pump gas and laid down 54.9whp. Drained the tank and added u4.2. Whp went up to 55.8whp. GAins across the board with a peak gain of just under 1whp. Then I drained the tank and added mrx01. Whp went up to 57.4. GAins across the board the the most in the topend peaking at 1.6whp gain. Thats over u4.2. So for a total of 2.5whp gain from pump gas to mrx01. DAmn thats killer. Now for the bad news.

Pump 93 octane. $2.40 per gallon
Vp u4.2 110 octane $11-16 per gallon
Vp mrx01 110 octane $23-27 per gallon. :eek:

Ill be running pump in both my bikes for practice. Ill run u4.2 in the ktm for race and mrx01 in the can am. That should put me at just over 50whp and thats much needed hp in the A class. The ktm is already hard to hold on to with pump. LOL Just wanted to share just incase anyone was curious about what these gasses actually give you.

crixal
06-20-2009, 11:41 PM
that is crazy. better do something for 20+ a gallon.

1Rockey1
06-21-2009, 06:43 AM
Where do you find VP u4.2 and VP mrx01? I tried searching around here in Cincinnati and can't fing it anywhere.

ScottB125
06-21-2009, 07:54 AM
Do you know if either of those fuels has methanol in it?

ngarbe561
06-23-2009, 08:52 PM
dude that dosnt realy make sense is the engine hi compresion on the can am cuz just changing gas like that with out converting to hi comp wont do ****

ltr311
06-23-2009, 09:35 PM
True to some extent but you obviously dont know much about race fuels. These gases are oxygenated and add 6% power over pump gas. NOt just your run of the mill leaded race fuels here bud. If you are interested in actually learning about them go to Vp's website. They add power and alot if you think about it. 2-3whp is big.

TNT
06-23-2009, 10:41 PM
LTR run some test on Aviation fuel ...........

ScottB125
06-24-2009, 09:33 AM
It would be interesting to see how much different this stuff is vs stuff you run in cars. We use a VP fuel, Q16, its some bad ****! Definately methanol based. I've smelled motorcycles at the track that have that same distinct smell of Q16.

ltr311
06-24-2009, 08:43 PM
Q16 is for boostest applications. I ran it in my evo when I was pushing over 25psi. It does have the capability of making more power than other fuels but its because you can advance your timing more and get away with higher boost levels. Otherwise it robs power. If you put it in your atv you would lose roughly 2whp. it just cant burn it.

ngarbe561
06-25-2009, 09:23 AM
alirght i see ill do some research on that so u say that its not like a leaded gas like 110 or c 12

ScottB125
06-25-2009, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by ltr311
Q16 is for boostest applications. I ran it in my evo when I was pushing over 25psi. It does have the capability of making more power than other fuels but its because you can advance your timing more and get away with higher boost levels. Otherwise it robs power. If you put it in your atv you would lose roughly 2whp. it just cant burn it.

YOu can run it in nitrous motors too.. I've seen a 2000hp car pick up power over c16 with just a change in the fuel. You have to add more fuel to your MAP, but it was without more boost or timing.

If you've used Q, then you know that distinct smell it has. What motorcycle fuel has that same smell?

powertechn2
07-08-2009, 12:22 AM
it is funny, about once every year or two, some younger rider, normally on a newer 125 2stroke that thinks its just bad-*** and sooooo wicked fast decides he is gonna buy some torco race fuel to make more power...

the funny thing is that after he fills his tank, and runs whats in the carb through and the 110 hits and it dies and wont re-start lol

its funny that no one wants to believe that everything doesnt need race fuel, and that it can hurt performance as it was stated above.

the vp fuels are good, but are pricey.
if your racing, the 2-3 hp is a good gain, if your just riding in trails, its not worth the money.

i dont choose to run race fuel, i have to, and sometimes in the trails, when someone decides to go on a LONG ride that was supposed to be a short run, and all of a sudden your in a podunk town with gas out back of the local bar, and your on reserve... that sucks.

riding back, with felt detonation, that sucks even more.

1Rockey1
07-08-2009, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by powertechn2
i dont choose to run race fuel, i have to, and sometimes in the trails, when someone decides to go on a LONG ride that was supposed to be a short run, and all of a sudden your in a podunk town with gas out back of the local bar, and your on reserve... that sucks.

riding back, with felt detonation, that sucks even more.

Been there done that. You pull up to the filling station where the tank is above ground and it pumps a gallon every six or seven minutes. On a good day its probably 87 octane. If you want to see a hillbilly laugh ask, ask them if they have 89 octane.

I bought a five gallon container of VP MRX01 yesterday and tried it in the KTM, hopefully it makes a difference when I drag race it this weekend. I couldn't tell much difference but I didn't run it long and was probably still using what was in the carb bowl still. Man this stuff will smell up the whole house. I closed it up last night and kept it in the garage. This morning the whole house stinks. Our garage is seperate from the house and we have a mud/laundry room seperating it even more. I'll have to store it in the barn from now on.

ThePhantomRider
07-08-2009, 04:11 PM
I'd avoid Aviation fuel for a watercooled bike....we used to run it in our air cooled 250r's and it worked great....in water pumpers, not so much for the cost...sometimes even ran worse because it burns cooler.

Just my .02

TPR