PDA

View Full Version : Help with electrical

RMS250R
06-20-2009, 10:06 AM
I have read the threads on checking the electrical components and have had 2 certified Honda mechanics look at my 250R, One said CDI so I replaced it, the other said stator so I replaced it,
Still no spark niether mechanic has any idea what the problem is both said everything tests fine they said they have checked everything including all grounds.

Any ideas to get this thing going?

jcs003
06-20-2009, 11:47 AM
check you ground.

hondamancbr03
06-20-2009, 11:54 AM
You didn't mention if the coil was checked as well.....I usaully borrow parts from friends before spending money on parts that end up not being the issue. Good Luck!

RMS250R
06-20-2009, 01:48 PM
checked coil, checked ground, no luck

RMS250R
06-20-2009, 03:37 PM
I forgot, I also replaced kill switch and spark plug cap.

wilkin250r
06-20-2009, 07:28 PM
Something is wrong with your diagnosis, somewhere.

Believe it or not, ignition systems are really simple. There are five basic components.

Two components on the stator, the exciter coils (provide the power for the spark), and the pulse generator (provides the timing for the spark).

The CDI is the brain.

The coil is the boost. The power from the CDI is only a couple hundred volts, the coil boosts it to a couple thousand.

The last component is spark plug, and for a definition, I would throw the plug wire and boot into this last component as well.

Now, even if all these components are in good shape, there are still a few things that can keep it all from working. Bad wiring, bad ground, or the pulse generator could be mounted too far away from the flywheel and it's not sensing the timing bump properly.

RMS250R
06-22-2009, 04:50 PM
Found The spark

I found a guy with a CDI box that works turns out that the old CDI and the new one I got from Honda were both bad. Some luck Huh!

Thanks for the help all.
This is a great forum to get all the info from guys who have been in my shoes before, I really appreciate it.