PDA

View Full Version : A couple more motor questions

rigger
06-20-2009, 05:20 AM
Just a couple more motor questions.

Spacer plate question.....
If, I really do have an 86 bottom end and an 86 cylinder, with a long rod and a newer style piston, do I need to run a spacer plate and why? And if I run a spacer plate, wouldn't that lower compression or is it not enough to notice?

Other question....
My cylinder looks like it has had a good bit of port work. It looks like it has had a newer sleeve installed but the ports on it were not ground to match the ports on the cylinder. They over lap the ports on the cylinder just a bit. I was wanting to try and grind them to mach the ports but do I really need to? Just seems to me like it would be a lot better.

Dave83
06-20-2009, 07:28 AM
The year of the cases and cylinder have nothing to do with the need for a spacer plate.Rod length and piston determine that.If you have the 87-89 length rod with a 87-89 piston,you do not use a spacer plate,regardless of what cylinder you have.You can use an 85-86 style piston on the long rod crank with a spacer plate.It will increase the crankcase volume some,supposedly helps with lowend power.

If your cylinder has been resleeved,def have it looked at.It does need to have the ports matched and at the least,have the ports chamfered a bit so you dont hang a ring.