PDA

View Full Version : so much hostility in response to the worst mx quad ever

industry48
06-20-2009, 01:12 AM
Children play nice... LOL But here is my two cents. The KTM is a wonderful bike; if you are going to woods ride you couldn't go wrong and I have seen xc's for that price I think that is right around dealer and it wouldn't be hard to pick one up for that. You would have a hard time matching that with any other brand new bike and trying to build a woods racer. However moving onto mx. The KTM is about 9500 dealer and that is about 3k more than dealer on a yfzr 4k more than honda and not sure on the others but a reasonable amount more. It is still going to need about 2500-3k in suspension and you know everyone is going to build more power out of the already potent engine so there is another 1500 or so. Not to mention say you need a part from ktm you will be paying out the *** for it and depending on where you live waiting awhile also. Basically you are shooting even farther out there on price. Now if I won the lottery I would be building them all day long but being that I have to work for a living I would pick another.
The yfzr's biggest problem is that they don't have a high dollar factory rider. I think Pat and Thomas are great guys and rider's but they are no Wimmer or Wienen or Natalie for that matter. There amateur support problem is that the honda 450 is so cheap to build that you can't go wrong. But speaking from $40k worth of experience with two honda's and 5 frames a season later I am not that convinced they are the way to go. When the Kawi came out I thought it was going the be the **** but if you have a look at the guys who are going fast on them, you will notice a wheel-borrow full of money following them around. The Can-Am looks to be a great piece of equipment but I think it needs more refinement; you can't take a step that far in engineering all at once you have to take baby steps and learn as you go. Hell even polaris has a decent machine for 09 and at least its american... haha I don't know how long it will take for polaris to remove the "who wants to ride a Polaris" branding they have been given but when they do I think they will have the sales to build an even better bike. The old yfz had a lot of problems and anyone who denies that is still trying not to admit there loss. I have this same problem with my old cummins.... In 06 I think they started coming around but not enough to where I would own one. The new yfzr looks to me like a great bike. The only thing I didn't like the looks of was not seeing a place for a kicker. I liked this bike so much I bought one earlier today. I have always been a Honda man but they are not willing to do anything to advance there equipment or to even go back to the best design they ever had!!! There parts keep getting cheaper and cheaper and therefore ****tier and ****tier... I worked in a honda shop for a couple years and that was long enough to banish red from my shop unless its a two stroke, air cooled, or on two wheels.
I am an a-class rider at the nationals and I will be reporting more on how this yfzr holds up as I go. I am trying to keep it on a 10k budget which I think is a possible goal as long as I can find a way to make some decent power. I really don't want another 8k motor like I had on the honda that only ran for a weekend before needing rebuild...

Ride1Rob
06-20-2009, 04:41 AM
Why not delete this thread and add it in the original post?

Seed
06-20-2009, 11:03 AM
Ummm I hope you are pointing your finger at the older 04 to 06 yfz 450s because the 07 to the 09 hardly have any problems what so ever. Also for the yfz450r's they have there own problems. Such as a bog with FI which I find hilarious. Smaller cam's meaning lower power that the original yfz. Weak sub frame. And last but not least its all CAST Aluminum. Which is JUNK!!

QuadJunkies
06-20-2009, 11:27 AM
That topic was out of control... if this one starts to show ANY signs of the same, Ill close this down.
We will never get a "real " answer of whats better than another because we all have our own personal fit,feel and over all preference. When someone asks why one quad is better than another its just asking for a fight to break out.

industry48 -good luck to you keeping it together and on a decent budget, having some built motors ouselves I do know how they can become money pits. lol

:scary: :p

Sick0
06-20-2009, 12:09 PM
So far this biggest problem I have found about the yfzr is the lack of infomation... Whats nobody on this forum tried diffrent cams, whats about the knew GYTR head... I wish plug and play with FI and get 50hp.. that ran good!!!!

Ride1Rob
06-20-2009, 12:46 PM
I didn't know the thread was closed... Guess that's why he started another one :p .

I had heard that Yamaha offered a GYTR race head. If they purposely made the stock head where it's difficult to get power out of but their GYTR head comes with better ports and cams they should be ashamed of themselves. I was told a few years ago that they were doing gimmicks like this with the original YFZ (Making minimal mods and charging owners of those mods). I call it nickel and dimeing.

csr250r
06-20-2009, 12:52 PM
Im not dissapointed with my YFZ, it makes good all around power. It also handles well and feels good in the air. You should be able to win races on one with similar or less mods than the other competition. Its not impossible to win on something other than what the pros are winning on people...

But I am dissapointed in the yamaha factory team. They spend too much on bikes and XC. Not trying to knock the browns, they dont have the support as can am or other manufacturers. But they dont get the job done like wimmer, byrd, natalie, ect.

Honda has so much loyalty built up from the 250r days that its insane. hondas are fast when they are built just like any quad, but you need the rider to take it there.

As for the yfz 450r, I think it has massive potential to be the next suzuki. I have seen a few racing in stock trim and they dont do too bad.

But if you have a built yfz and you are not winning it might not be the quads fault. Just because the pros dont race them doesnt make them a pile. Maybe you need to either buy a different 450 and lose on that as well to realize it might not be the quad.

Maybe if some of these people went to some local races instead of just reading DW pro race reports they would realize this.

Sick0
06-20-2009, 01:22 PM
I always like the power on my '06.. I had no problem out powering every body else with with big 3 mods... but I'm getting older and looking for a more comfortable 450 that handles better... Its fell like I get more tried on it riding because I can't get comfortable (6'4")..

Plus the YFZ does push( stock and with aftermarket frontend)

MAaudioX10
06-20-2009, 03:13 PM
The pros ride whatever they get paid to ride. However, when your the best of the best (i.e. wimmer) you've pretty much have the pick of the litter.

Suzuki's program is top notch and, I can understand why they pull in some of the best riders.

People seem to forget, money talks.

JR3
06-20-2009, 06:28 PM
Like someone said the pros ride what they get paid to ride. if pat brown was ona suzuki he would tell ya how great it is over yamaha because suzuki would be signing his pay check its a business people. I switched from a 450r to a yfz. I grew up on honda but my 450r couldnt keep a frame under it always breakages. no power. etc made the switch to a yfz and i will never go back. it is all personal preference anyway. whatever u are comfortable on is what you are gonna race. and with a lot of theses threads like this wether its suspension or whatever people will say whatever they have is the best. My yfz is whats best for me ive ridden the others and have owned others. ill put a pic of my 450r and my yfz

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v367/250ex3/100_5464.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v367/250ex3/DSCN2483.jpg

ALAMX37
06-21-2009, 03:18 PM
I have rode just about every mx built bike you can imagine. From my personal experience the YFZ is a great bike for a novice rider. The front suspension and lack of bottom end are my only two complaints. With the new YFZR they addressed the lack of rake in the front of the frame but the Yamaha engine has always been a mid to top motor. Not my preference. They have a solid product that is capable of winning, but it seems the majority of riders choose to ride other brands. It all comes down to what is best for you as the rider. Its like beverages, we dont all have the same taste nor do we all have the same riding style.

My little brother has a fully built 04 in our garage right now, and I can ride it fast and be comfortable on it, but to me my hybrid cant be touched, by any production quad.

Ride1Rob
06-21-2009, 07:48 PM
Lack of bottom end??? That was one of the big complaints for most MX riders was the power delivery was too much causing arm pump. Most others liked the Honda's delivery better on bottom because it was more smooth. Of all the 450's I've rode (Kawi, Zuk, Honda, Polaris, and Yami) the Yamaha bottom is the most abrupt followed by the Zuk.

industry48
06-21-2009, 08:36 PM
Well I picked up my new quad on saturday. While running it through the heat cycles I couldn't much tell how she was going to be, although it felt comfy other than the high rise foot pegs it came with but that will be fixed tuesday... After running through a few of the heat cycles. I hit the practice track. Wow!! I was amazed at the suspension and handling characteristics and I hadn't even bolted up the other wheels/tires yet. It felt nimble and flickable in the air. I landed every jump on the practice track first lap with zero problems. As soon as I went in the air the first time the quad had my complete trust. I have always rode honda's and I have rode the others also, and I haven't been on another machine that matched me as well as this one. I ended up riding three different tracks on saturday getting used to the machine. Today I ran the first race on her at a local track with some pretty good A riders. We had 10 on the gate today. The first moto came out of the holeshot in third. I hadn't even practiced my starts on the bike yet and all the other quad's were built to the gills. It took me two laps to get into first and once I had the lead I could open the lines up and I was able to bull away from the pack. The thing handled a very technical track with ease I even was able to blitz a set of 2 1/2' deep set of whoops on stock shocks. I used to only do that on fox's. The track has about a 75 or 80' triple that takes high third to clear and this machine had no problems with it at all. I even clipped it a little once, rider error, and it soaked it up like I would expect an aftermarket shock and linkage combo to do. The second moto I came out in forth and took me a lap to get third and three to get second and I was unable to get around the guy in first but I didn't push to hard I knew he got third the first moto so I knew I had the overall. Not bad for a bone stock machine with a set of beadlocks on the back and razr mx's. I will have to wait and see how durable it is but so far I have zero complaints.

Ride1Rob
06-21-2009, 09:10 PM
Sweet and nice review. So out of the box it's an overall better machine to you than your built YFZ? I had heard others say this but was kinda hard for me to believe. Maybe it is true. I just can't figure out why Pat Brown can't get it right :confused:

industry48
06-21-2009, 09:18 PM
Out of the box it is a far superior to my built Honda I don't know about built Yfz I've only rode a few built ones and it's been awhile but I don't think any of them felt as balanced in the air. As far as lap times go I dunno

bobbys9350
06-22-2009, 08:28 PM
Have you done anything to it yet? What are you gonna do to it?

bobbys9350
06-22-2009, 08:31 PM
Hey will you be racing at sweet 16 this weekend?

industry48
06-22-2009, 09:25 PM
I haven't done anything yet except for tires and wheels but I have a power commander on the way and I am trying to pick out an exhaust. As for this weekend I am planning on making it down there. I will be there Sunday for sure but I won't know until friday if I'll be down saturday.

ALAMX37
06-25-2009, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Ride1Rob
Lack of bottom end??? That was one of the big complaints for most MX riders was the power delivery was too much causing arm pump. Most others liked the Honda's delivery better on bottom because it was more smooth. Of all the 450's I've rode (Kawi, Zuk, Honda, Polaris, and Yami) the Yamaha bottom is the most abrupt followed by the Zuk.

Yes sir. The bottom on the built Yamaha motor isn't even comparable with my built TRX motor. Sam builder same goal with the power. My TRX pulls hard from the drop of the throttle until you hit the limiter, the YFZ doesn't pick up good til about 5k. It is the hard hitting mid people compain about.

braybray08
06-29-2009, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by industry48
Children play nice... LOL But here is my two cents. The KTM is a wonderful bike; if you are going to woods ride you couldn't go wrong and I have seen xc's for that price I think that is right around dealer and it wouldn't be hard to pick one up for that. You would have a hard time matching that with any other brand new bike and trying to build a woods racer. However moving onto mx. The KTM is about 9500 dealer and that is about 3k more than dealer on a yfzr 4k more than honda and not sure on the others but a reasonable amount more. It is still going to need about 2500-3k in suspension and you know everyone is going to build more power out of the already potent engine so there is another 1500 or so. Not to mention say you need a part from ktm you will be paying out the *** for it and depending on where you live waiting awhile also. Basically you are shooting even farther out there on price. Now if I won the lottery I would be building them all day long but being that I have to work for a living I would pick another.
The yfzr's biggest problem is that they don't have a high dollar factory rider. I think Pat and Thomas are great guys and rider's but they are no Wimmer or Wienen or Natalie for that matter. There amateur support problem is that the honda 450 is so cheap to build that you can't go wrong. But speaking from $40k worth of experience with two honda's and 5 frames a season later I am not that convinced they are the way to go. When the Kawi came out I thought it was going the be the **** but if you have a look at the guys who are going fast on them, you will notice a wheel-borrow full of money following them around. The Can-Am looks to be a great piece of equipment but I think it needs more refinement; you can't take a step that far in engineering all at once you have to take baby steps and learn as you go. Hell even polaris has a decent machine for 09 and at least its american... haha I don't know how long it will take for polaris to remove the "who wants to ride a Polaris" branding they have been given but when they do I think they will have the sales to build an even better bike. The old yfz had a lot of problems and anyone who denies that is still trying not to admit there loss. I have this same problem with my old cummins.... In 06 I think they started coming around but not enough to where I would own one. The new yfzr looks to me like a great bike. The only thing I didn't like the looks of was not seeing a place for a kicker. I liked this bike so much I bought one earlier today. I have always been a Honda man but they are not willing to do anything to advance there equipment or to even go back to the best design they ever had!!! There parts keep getting cheaper and cheaper and therefore ****tier and ****tier... I worked in a honda shop for a couple years and that was long enough to banish red from my shop unless its a two stroke, air cooled, or on two wheels.
I am an a-class rider at the nationals and I will be reporting more on how this yfzr holds up as I go. I am trying to keep it on a 10k budget which I think is a possible goal as long as I can find a way to make some decent power. I really don't want another 8k motor like I had on the honda that only ran for a weekend before needing rebuild...

chit stirrer :devil: