PDA

View Full Version : 400ex acting like the choke is on

frockalicious
06-19-2009, 09:44 PM
Ok guys this is gonna be long so bear with me. I have an '01 400ex mostly stock. It was garged for a few years and the carb was recently rebuilt and I have been riding it a lot lately. I have a foam intake kit and I took the spark arrestor out of the stock exhaust. Kinda ghetto I know but I am a student without a whole lot of extra cash to spend on my wheeler. I am at 5000 feet elevation. I took the choke out and my jetting is a 42 pilot and a 155 main. I had the needle on the third position and it seemed a tad rich but not big deal it ran well. I was riding the other day and wheelied over going up a dune and bent my bars. I bought new ones and hooked everything up. ( I dont know if this might have to do with the problem). The quad was running fine on the jetting that day and the next day it ran great for a while and all of a sudden started sputtering and acting like the choke was on. I moved the needle clip up a notch to lean it out but it didn't do anything. Is my pilot too rich or my main maybe? I don't think this would affect it all that much though because it ran fine like that for a while. Anyone have any idea what might be going on? Bad plug maybe? clogged filter? I just put it in a few weeks ago it should be fine. HELP ME PLEASE. I am clueless

hypersnyper6947
06-19-2009, 09:53 PM
Have you checked your parking brake??

frockalicious
06-19-2009, 10:19 PM
no I haven't. What do i check?

Pappy
06-19-2009, 10:22 PM
Drop the carb drain bolt (trying not to spill any gas) and look for dirt. Sounds to me like you may have dirt in the carb, possibly a clogged main jet.

honda400ex2003
06-19-2009, 10:27 PM
why do you need another thread for this? Like i said before, i would check the carb good and everything around the motor. get a plug and gap it correctly, check the filter, and see how it does. there are only so many things you can do before it can be ruled out. maybe you messed up your rings when it went over and you need a new set. this is probably the worst thing that could happen. steve

frockalicious
06-19-2009, 10:45 PM
Gap the plug correctly? How do I go about this? Sorry I have so many questions im just new to this

hypersnyper6947
06-20-2009, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by frockalicious
no I haven't. What do i check?

When you put your parking brake on (near your front brake lever) it also wont let the engine rev, instead every time you hit the gas it makes it stutter and backfire. You said after you installed your new bars it started doing this. My bet it that you messed with that parking brake some how when switching bars and caused it to "choke" your motor.

Check up by your front brake lever make sure everything is tight and in place. I dont have a parking brake so i cant describe how to check it so well, buy maybe someone else can chime in and give you a few pointers, maybe even some pics.

dariusld
06-20-2009, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by hypersnyper6947
When you put your parking brake on (near your front brake lever) it also wont let the engine rev, instead every time you hit the gas it makes it stutter and backfire. You said after you installed your new bars it started doing this. My bet it that you messed with that parking brake some how when switching bars and caused it to "choke" your motor.

Check up by your front brake lever make sure everything is tight and in place. I dont have a parking brake so i cant describe how to check it so well, buy maybe someone else can chime in and give you a few pointers, maybe even some pics.

Forgive my ignorance, but could you explain your logic on this . I have no idea what your talking about. This just seems retarded to me.