PDA

View Full Version : whats a good nead gasket??

smokindw
06-19-2009, 05:47 PM
Like the title says i think that i have a leaking head gasket cuz in the higher rpms it is feeling like im under a heavy load, it feels like im hitting a false rev limiter and am loosing alolt of upper power due to the compression leak. so i came 2 the conclusion that its time 2 put a new head gasket on, now i have a 440 and it runs hot so i was wondering what would be the best hd gasket out there?? I know bout the gt thunder heavy duty head studs i have already ordered them!! So any feedback would be cool and if someone thinks that i am wrong bout the blown gasket and think that it might be something else please let me know!!

droppedmazda
06-19-2009, 07:33 PM
put some kinda stock style head gasket back on it. they are 3 layers metal gasket. with the hd studs you should be fine.

F-16Guy
06-19-2009, 07:37 PM
You're problem may just be improper jetting. Most of the time, if you have a head gasket leak, you can hear it. You should also be able to see evidence of the leak on the outside of the cylinder where the escaping combustion gasses discolor the metal. It's either just lean, or it may be lean as a result of a leaking head gasket if there's evidence of that.

If it is a head gasket, just make sure the studs are installed properly and the threads for the new studs are formed using a roll form tap, not a standard tap that cuts the metal away to make threads. Most people with a 440 use an 89mm Cometic MLS (multi layer steel) head gasket.

smokindw
06-19-2009, 08:34 PM
im pretty sure that is the hd gasket cuz there r a lil black oily deposits on each corner in the fins on one side! And i have had everything from a 215-170K main in and there wasnt much difference in the higher rpms, it is almost overrevving in the middle of the gears sometimes and like i said a major loss of torque so thats y i think its the hd gasket. what do ya think??

honda400ex2003
06-19-2009, 08:36 PM
I think that is what it would be. steve

n811
06-21-2009, 08:17 AM
I used to go through head gaskets till I put Honda ones back in! They are pretty good.

smokindw
06-22-2009, 07:58 AM
yeah i ordered the oem head gasket but now that i start 2 think bout it i think that i might of fried the big gun over rev box cuz it seems like im hitting a false rev limiter at mid 2 upper rpms!! any thoughts?? is it possible for the big gun rev box 2 go bad after 2 years??

F-16Guy
06-22-2009, 08:05 AM
An OEM head gasket isn't going to work with an 89mm bore. You need the 89mm Cometic MLS head gasket.

smokindw
06-22-2009, 08:22 AM
im such a dumba<< i should of thought of the knowin that i have a 440 bore!!! thanks do u have any recommendations 2 buy one of the 89mm cometic heag gaskets at??

F-16Guy
06-22-2009, 08:28 AM
Ask C&D, they should have what you need.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=36

bbender85
06-22-2009, 10:11 AM
i just bought my cometic top end set on ebay.. was $40 shipped.

as for your problem you feel; how old is your 440 build? as said above i think you'd know if it was a head gasket by hearing the leak; mine went out memorial day weekend and i could immediately hear a squeaking noise from the leak, and it got worse fast as i headed for the truck. i guess i would say your rings would be the cause before the head gasket if you don't hear a leak.

but before that even i would say you're lean, -especially- if it is in fact running hot like you say... if not jetting, maybe an air leak somewhere around the carb.