PDA

View Full Version : Why so many...

troybilt
06-19-2009, 11:28 AM
250R owners jumping ship these days? And we aren't talking about P.O.S. bikes either, top notch highend 250r's. Am I delusional wanting to keep my 250r?

deathman53
06-19-2009, 12:34 PM
I feel the same way sometimes. Am I nuts??? I have to admit the 4 strokes are easier to ride and you can keep it in 3rd gear for nearly the whole track. I have to say, the way that tracks are being designed now, lends its way better to 4 strokes, tighter and more corners, more whoops and doubles/triples right after the whoops. The idea of being able to get new parts and easily found is probably a big part. If at a race you break your axle and want to race the second moto. If you have a 250r, there won't be a large amount people that have them and selling them there. With a 450r on almost any brand, there will be a good amount of people selling them. The 250r parts just aren't being brought to the races, so few race them, its not worth the space. Also with 250r engine and chassis parts going away, its plain harder to get them and at a reasonable cost.

hondamancbr03
06-19-2009, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by troybilt
250R owners jumping ship these days? And we aren't talking about P.O.S. bikes either, top notch highend 250r's. Am I delusional wanting to keep my 250r?

I actually sold my 06 TRX450r to replace it with a 250R, I knew my 450 would need ot be rebuilt sooner or later and four stroke engines are by far more expensive to rebuild than a two stroke.....I agree that the four strokes are easier to ride, in fact I had my Banshee and 450 at the same time and the Banshee just collected dust because the 450 just made riding easier.....Well i left the dark side and I've found my way back. I picked up a 250R with a 350PV engine and still haven't tried it since i've purchased it, hoping it will be like my 450.

atvmxr
06-19-2009, 01:29 PM
I think alot of it is the economy... when you lost your job and trying to keep your family feed and sheltered the "toys" gotta go. No matter how ridiculous the price.

things are good here in TX and I have been looking for a 88-89 TRX for over a year now and cant find poop. Up north in the hard times areas I see alot more TRXs for sale and laeger framed race Rs up there are going for less than people want for stock 86s down here...

and some people are just monkey see, monkey doo and joined the 450 club. I recently picked up a stock 450 for cheap, i dont think I'll ever race it or anything. Its the GFs beginner quad...but i cant resist modding it and maybe it will be her race quad :devil:

troybilt
06-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by hondamancbr03
I actually sold my 06 TRX450r to replace it with a 250R, I knew my 450 would need ot be rebuilt sooner or later and four stroke engines are by far more expensive to rebuild than a two stroke.....I agree that the four strokes are easier to ride, in fact I had my Banshee and 450 at the same time and the Banshee just collected dust because the 450 just made riding easier.....Well i left the dark side and I've found my way back. I picked up a 250R with a 350PV engine and still haven't tried it since i've purchased it, hoping it will be like my 450.

Nice pick up with the 350PV motor. I'd like to buy a 310PV and swap out my virtually stock motor and save it. I'd like to have a little more power, too.

I could see racers wanting to get 450r's, I don't see them going away anytime soon. parts availability and all that.

Its sad, I feel like I'm being left behind... :(

troybilt
06-19-2009, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by atvmxr
I think alot of it is the economy... when you lost your job and trying to keep your family feed and sheltered the "toys" gotta go. No matter how ridiculous the price.

things are good here in TX and I have been looking for a 88-89 TRX for over a year now and cant find poop. Up north in the hard times areas I see alot more TRXs for sale and laeger framed race Rs up there are going for less than people want for stock 86s down here...

and some people are just monkey see, monkey doo and joined the 450 club. I recently picked up a stock 450 for cheap, i dont think I'll ever race it or anything. Its the GFs beginner quad...but i cant resist modding it and maybe it will be her race quad :devil:

What kind of 88-89 are you looking for? ...I have a lot of friends with 250R's... at least for a little while longer.

1promodfan
06-19-2009, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by troybilt
Its sad, I feel like I'm being left behind... :(

Well the thing is.....do you want to be different or not?? Sure its nice to be able to go out and push a button and off you go. But, to me I like being the odd ball. I went riding last weekend and everybody was looking at my quad......why because its different. To me its a nostalgia thing, and I'm old fashioned.

But the market does cater to the 4-pokes. Here is the thing...(IMO)....the 4-pokes use more parts/more break downs. The parts cost more and there are more moving components. So the big manufacters.....Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, etc.....are making more money. And thats the bottom line....$$$$$

MajesticTRX250R
06-19-2009, 03:06 PM
i think its because people get sick of putting in a bunch of money into their wheelers and doing more wrenching then riding....so they get more reliable machines....i piss pounded my 400ex and never even replaced anything on it....got a 250r and have spent more money and time wrenching then i have riding...never ending problems.

hondamancbr03
06-19-2009, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by MajesticTRX250R
i think its because people get sick of putting in a bunch of money into their wheelers and doing more wrenching then riding....so they get more reliable machines....i piss pounded my 400ex and never even replaced anything on it....got a 250r and have spent more money and time wrenching then i have riding...never ending problems.

The 400ex is a more reliable bike than the new 450's, the 450's are running more heat from higher compression, more aggressive timing....Everything about the new 450's are high performance which reduces reliablity in anything. My Banshee ran strong and hard for 5 years with no engine issues (ported and stroked), to freshing it up only cost around $275 (piston & bore). 5 years of hard running on my 450 would require a rebuild that would consist of a lot more $$$$

I'm curious, what are some of the problems you've been having?

deathman53
06-19-2009, 04:20 PM
I've had very few problems with my 250r's, replace reeds every year, top end when compression is getting low, swingarm bearings and carrier bearings. And the normal oil changes(tranny fluid) and clean/oil air filter. Start with something nice and it will be low maintence. I don't get how people say that 2 strokes are alot of maintence. Do they call a top end, reeds and carrier alot????

thedeatons
06-19-2009, 08:08 PM
We sold our 4 strokes for our R. No way I want to go back. And the 400EX is like comparing a single port Beetle to a V8 muscle car. In the dunes the EX goes NOWHERE (on real dunes, the big ones).

Two strokes are a piece of cake, that is not why people are selling. Most people are either getting bored because they have had them too long, or have financial issues and need to feed the kids.

bcox
06-20-2009, 01:13 PM
I'm contemplating selling my 89r. Had it for 18 years and hung onto it because eveything i've rode since has not even came close to the pleasure it is to ride. only my knees don't like to do what they used to so I guess I'll let someone else enjoy it and I'll have to get a 4x4 and slow down alittle. Plus my kid sees me getting crazy on it and thinks he can do it on his little 50. I hope he'll avoid all the trips to the ER that I have.

250Renvy
06-20-2009, 01:44 PM
Priorities often change as well.

When you are young and have lots of time to ride and really rip it up a 250R is great. Then it sits for a number of years and something comes up that you'd really rather have the money for and they think where can I get a couple thousand to 5K and selling the R seems like the way.