PDA

View Full Version : Monster motor questions

addictedtomud
06-18-2009, 08:34 PM
I just bought a 250r with a 400cc Honda pilot cylinder on a stock bottom end. FTZ calls this the "monster motor" I really like it!!!!

I did a search and still have a question: What is good/bad about this setup? Who has one and what do you like or hate about it ?

How about reliability?

Honda 250r 001
06-19-2009, 11:24 AM
the problem is not how reliable the top end is, because it does plenty fine, but the problem is your trannsmission gears, if you dont have yukons, i will guarentee, 100 percent for sure, that you will ruin a gear, shuck a gear, see shavings in the bottom end, or break something. The clutch will need serious modding to keep it together and you will be replacing clutch baskets left and right. you should get a lock up. There not truely meant for everyday riding. More a drag set up imo. Because of the lack of reliablility. Also once you get that far you push the rods to the max, have you seen the rods for a 450 and for a 250r? huge difference, 250 is much weaker than the 450.

If you get a lock up clutch and yukon gears and a new crank thats trued and welded, you will prolly be ok. I wish you good luck.

DEERCHOOPER
06-20-2009, 05:37 AM
do they have to move the cylinder studs out to make it work on the 250r cases?