PDA

View Full Version : XC Racing tips?

dirtrider77
06-18-2009, 06:01 PM
so i am going to start xc racing in the 2010 season...im 16 and get my liscence in november...anyways i have a 450r now...i dont excpect to win or even get close, just doing it for fun....now i would like to do the gncc series as well as any other xc racing you guys can point me in the direction of...i live in ky...any tips on registering, signing up, what classes i can race, getting numbers, what i need....ive never raced before so i need all the help i can get...thanks

WilRideAnything
06-18-2009, 07:06 PM
Get in the best shape you can so you don't get tired and ride a lot.

woodsracer882
06-18-2009, 07:47 PM
Where u live in Ky? You can come ride with us

dirtrider77
06-18-2009, 07:55 PM
oh i ride alot...like a couple hours every day...like i might not ride two dozen days out of the year

and im in campbellsville

fastredrider44
06-19-2009, 10:24 AM
The KORHS series will be right up your alley. Also you might look into running some Mid-South races. Get some local races under your belt before loading up to go to a national. Its a whole 'nother ballgame and those guys mean business.

Basically, you need to be able to ride your heart out for 2 hours without dying. Your arms will pump up, and the adrenaline will get to flowing. I can't speak for the KY series, but the 16-20 classes are fast at the mid-south. Youngins are fast.:blah: Also, when you get to a race, usually bikes will be racing. Try to get a feel for how tight the racing is and watch how they do the score tent so you know how it works. Also, don't try to win on the first lap.

PM if there is anything you want to ask specifically. I'll help you the best I can.

dirtrider77
06-19-2009, 10:38 AM
yep thats what i hope to do....race as many of the korhs events because they are all really close to me....then like you said, once i get the hang of things i can start expanding....anyone know the rules of the korhs, i looked on their site but that rule link is broken

fastredrider44
06-19-2009, 11:55 AM
Any rules specifically?

dirtrider77
06-19-2009, 12:04 PM
quad rules....what i have to have, what i cant have

rules for what to wear

number rules??

Scro
06-19-2009, 12:19 PM
Most series will tell you that a tether killswitch is required, but the only one I've been checked at is the GNCC's. I've never been to a KORHS, so I can't comment on that.

I've seen people race in tank tops, and blue jeans. At the bare minimum, I atleast wear riding boots (and helmet of course). It would probably be a good idea to where a chest protector, but that's optional.

You won't need to worry about a number. The sticker they give you for your helmet has the number on it.

dirtrider77
06-19-2009, 12:26 PM
ok but if my quad already has a number.....will i have to like take it off or something...lol

prolly a dumb question....but idk...haha

fastredrider44
06-19-2009, 01:33 PM
Nope, you can leave it. I run numbers on my bike even though they aren't correct for any series I show up at. Yeah, Killswitch, boots, helmet, goggles is the BARE minimum. And that's about all i had at my first harescramble. 2 years later, I'm well on my way and broke as a joke!

Scro
06-19-2009, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
I'm well on my way and broke as a joke!

LOL, and that's another thing you have to have - money. And if you have money now, don't plan on having any after the race. You'll be hooked on racing like Bush was hooked on phonics.

dirtrider77
06-19-2009, 01:55 PM
yeah..lol

im going to just barely have money to get my 450 equipped with a-arms or shocks...one or the other....lol...cant have both yet

might ride stock till i get enuff to get both at once...prolly gonna go with some cheap a-arms like full flight stock or +.5 width and get some elkas

and then if/when something breaks, i start bumming others for free parts and money..lol

fastredrider44
06-19-2009, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by dirtrider77
i start bumming others for free parts and money

Good luck with that!

As for the a-arms and shocks, I'd look into buying used GT Thunder rebuild shocks and rear link. Thats a good start, then work your way up to a full, true suspension. I think if you get fast on stock stuff, then when you get a suspension, you can trully appreciate it and know that it helps, rather than be a beginner on a race bike and still not do worth a crap.

ricksmx865
06-19-2009, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
Good luck with that!

As for the a-arms and shocks, I'd look into buying used GT Thunder rebuild shocks and rear link. Thats a good start, then work your way up to a full, true suspension. I think if you get fast on stock stuff, then when you get a suspension, you can trully appreciate it and know that it helps, rather than be a beginner on a race bike and still not do worth a crap.

dirtrider77
06-19-2009, 04:33 PM
yeah i agree, cuz i dont wanna b the kid with the $15,000 bike in last place

RideRaceLive93
06-19-2009, 06:06 PM
one of the the big things is never give up you may thing your in last but it may turn out your in front thats one thing ive learned ive had some of the worst races ever and came out doing really good.The biggest thing of all ive found is ride YOUR OWN race i cant stress that enough. Dont try and kepp up with the person but dont push your self to far youll crash or break something on the bike or you ride your own race at your own pace youll get faster as time goes on.Dont invest in motor mods up here we have some of the tighest woods around to much motor means nothing suspension suspesnion suspension thats where all your money wants to be.As far as leading up to the race no greasy food,no dairy,water water water, stay hidrated,eat a banana or two before the race,I mix gatorade eletolytes and water together to give me enrgy in my camel back,As far as gear goes id invest in a camel back and roll off goggles.Anything you need to no just ask.

OH and after everyrace scheck EVERYTHING i hate having dnfs cuz of a small bolt falling off

dirtrider77
06-19-2009, 07:33 PM
heres all thats done performance wise to my bike

bored .40 over
weisco 13:1 piston
port and polish
hmf sport series slip on
k&n filter w/ outerwear

is this ok??

all i was thinking of doing was adding a cam either a stage 1 or stage 2 hot cam, steering dampener, and a k&n power lid

and im geared with 13t front stock rear...20" rears 22" front tires

g-force axle stock width i beleive

does this sound ok??

mc_racer
06-19-2009, 09:02 PM
You are worrying too much.
Step one-get yourself in shape physically, your first goal should be to finish the races. Contact Phil Cole at quad zone forums for a workout program. I went from running my first four races ever last season to leading the points in my class this year with two wins and top three every race. It is the single biggest thing you can do to get faster.
Step two-Make your bike reliable, make sure all the maintenance is done. Bearings, cables, wiring, etc. in good shape. Make sure the bike will finish the race.
Step three-If you want to spend cash now, do it for protection type items. You and the bike. Safety gear, nerfs, steering damper, skidplates, beadlocks.
Step four-Add items that will improve our comfort level which will make it easier to go faster. Shock revalves, steering stem, rekluse, etc.
Step five-By the time you get here, you will have enough races under your belt that you'll know what you want to do.

To help save cash, trust me, don't worry about motor upgrades right now. You have more than enough power. Also, don't be afraid to run revalved stock shocks. I am much happier with my C&D revalves that were built for me then the Fox Floats I bought used that were not built for me.

Ultimately, just go ride, you'll figure it out.

fastredrider44
06-20-2009, 12:40 PM
Don't worry about a cam yet. Only motor thing I would reccommend you to do is get an UNI filter and use some good oil on the filter. Also, hate to be an echo, but like mc_racer said. Get in shape and put the money towards suspension.

dirtrider77
06-20-2009, 02:41 PM
k, so u think i should toss the k&n and get a uni??

think i will have to rejet afterwards?

mc_racer
06-20-2009, 07:02 PM
Get a uni with an outerwear. If you are jetted right for the KN, you should be fine for the uni.

ride red 14
06-23-2009, 03:41 AM
come run with us at KORHS. get your feet wet and go from there. it is hard to tell someone what to expect, you have to experience it for yourself. your bike setup is fine, but skid plates are a must. the main thing is to have a good time and go home safe.

jpfmotors
06-23-2009, 05:19 AM
just to add a little on suspension i have a set of deresi racing stock rebuilds on my 450r and i am running b class finish on the podium in local races they are more then enough. also you can have all the power in the world but if you cant control it you aint going anywere, i have a stock motor with a jet kit and pipe i think its plenty of power. i will add motor work when i can run the whole xc race in 4th gear haha. no but just have fun and you will do fine stay relaxed, and dont forget to breath. oh another thing dont forget a camel pack

cmmick
06-24-2009, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by mc_racer
You are worrying too much.

To help save cash, trust me, don't worry about motor upgrades right now. You have more than enough power. Also, don't be afraid to run revalved stock shocks. I am much happier with my C&D revalves that were built for me then the Fox Floats I bought used that were not built for me.

Ultimately, just go ride, you'll figure it out.

Totally agree!! Go to the first few and have fun. XC racers are the best people out there. They will answer any questions you have. DON"T go spending money until you get more info and experience.

I second the C&D revalves. Site sponsor and Colby and Dusty are the BEST people to work with.

motoxchamp
06-25-2009, 06:20 AM
heres all thats done performance wise to my bike

bored .40 over
weisco 13:1 piston
port and polish
hmf sport series slip on
k&n filter w/ outerwear

is this ok??

all i was thinking of doing was adding a cam either a stage 1 or stage 2 hot cam, steering dampener, and a k&n power lid

and im geared with 13t front stock rear...20" rears 22" front tires

g-force axle stock width i beleive

does this sound ok?? [/QUOTE]

Your motor is fine. A cam and crf carb will help down the road but right now only focus on saving up for some suspension. If you get lucky you will find an a arm/ shock combo setup for your same weight and riding ability for cheap. Or have GT Thunder or C&D revalve the stockers. Suspension is always most important and motor work is just icing on the cake.
You mentioned you ride several hours a day, but there is a BIG diferance between riding and racing. What helps me is to make a lap that is as rough and challenging as possibble, ride it a bunch till I'm comfortable with the layout, and then time myself on a 1 lap sprint. I keep riding that loop and do periodical timed sprints. Also see how long you can maintain riding at 90% (when you ride at 100% you crash and break your quad and or your body) Repetition helps you learn much faster since you can brake later or accelerate harder through each turn until you reach the limit of your abilities. Then make a new course and start the process over. I cant stress how much timing myself has improved my speed. When you time yourself you always have something concrete to monitor your progress rather than just guessing.

dirtrider77
06-25-2009, 08:03 AM
thanks for all the help

i have a lot of trails that loop into each other so i am going to do like you said motox and start timing myself

thanks everyone for all the great tips