PDA

View Full Version : still puffin

scdirtdobber
06-18-2009, 03:33 PM
Well I'm still dealing with a issue on my 07 which has only 21 hours on it,started puffing blue/white smoke the 2nd day I brought it home with less tha a hour on it.I called the dealer and he said to bring it in which I did and it did not puff a bit after he rode it for about 30 minutes.It will not do it cold,only when it's hot.I thought it was the break-in oil but I changed it at the 20hr mark 4 days ago and adjusted the valves but after a 20 minute ride today it started back,I know it does it while I'm riding "hard to look back to see" but if I stop pull in the clutch and rev it a bit I notice a hesitation and a puff ,I'm thinking it's in the carb but seems like it would do it cold as well.I called the dealer today and he wants me to bring it in so they can check it,knowing my luck they will say it's fine again?????

honda400ex2003
06-18-2009, 04:42 PM
Whitish smoke is usually condensation in the exhaust that is evaporating when it gets warm. this is somewhat normal if it sits outside or something but if not then it becomes a bit more of a challenge. Anti freeze is the only other thing that burns white and we do not have to worry about that. if you can rule out condensation then it is a jetting issue. with a motor as new as yours i would assume it has some water inside the canister. I cant imagine jetting being off on it unless you have something done to it to make it lean out. just my .02 though steve

scdirtdobber
06-18-2009, 07:56 PM
It's still stock and has not been wet other than a light wash,I got a whiff of the smoke,it has a fuel/oil smell.I usually ride utility models and noticed the ex was a bit more noisey,is that the norm for these engines?

honda400ex2003
06-18-2009, 09:04 PM
yeah it should be a bit normal the valves click a bit and the cam chain makes noise when going around too. Check your jetting on the machine but if it is stock you should be fine. What elevation are you at. oif you are above 5000 ft you will have to rejet to lean it out a bit for the high elev. your dealer should be able to help you with that since they have jetting rec. from the factory but you can probably do it better yourself if you want. steve

scdirtdobber
06-19-2009, 11:26 AM
We are around 80' above sea level.I did notice the smoke does not linger like oil smoke and it quickly dissipates.We have a ride this weekend and may wait till next week to let the dealer look at it again,if it makes it.Wonder if Seafoam would help,I've had pretty good luck with it before if there is curd in the carb?

honda400ex2003
06-19-2009, 12:11 PM
you could try to put some in there. i have had good luck with it. The best thing to do is have them take the carb off and clean it. then you will not void the warranty. Otherwise give it a little while and see what happens. Steve

scdirtdobber
06-19-2009, 09:38 PM
I rode it about 12 miles tonite and it is oil smoke,I sure hate for them to go into the motor this early.Guess I'm having buyer regrets,if they fix it I may trade it

honda400ex2003
06-19-2009, 09:41 PM
you should not have to trade it. did something happen during break in to have it messed up already. take it in and tell them it is burning oil. if it is doing it all the time then it is the rings, if it is doing it on hard accelerations and at startup when cold it is the valve seals. it is covered so take it in and tell them to fix it and replace everything they can or they can have it back. steve

scdirtdobber
06-19-2009, 10:21 PM
No,actually I rode it pretty easy the first 15 hours and still do,I'm not a racer just a trail rider,still have not topped it out.It had less than an hour on it when my wife noticed the smoke riding behind me on the second day,I called the dealer the next day.It only starts after about 20 minutes of riding,it's more noticed during deceleration or when it's hot at idle and it's revved up,let it cool and it's fine again but the smoke is never constant.I used the recommended oil GN4 10w 40 and a honda filter at 20 hours.Tomorrow it will be 105 degrees here and it will not take long for them to see the smoke.Kinda feel like I got a lemon.Maybe Currie Chainsaw will make it right

honda400ex2003
06-19-2009, 10:25 PM
take it in then and tell them to fix it all. it is rings if it does it like that at that interval i would say. If it was seals it would do it at initial start up too since it drips down on the piston when it is not running. good luck, steve

scdirtdobber
06-19-2009, 10:36 PM
Thanks Steve,I'll post the outcome.Charles

honda400ex2003
06-19-2009, 10:38 PM
Sounds like a plan thanks in advance for the info of what they did to fix it. steve

MtnEX
06-19-2009, 10:56 PM
How low is your oil getting?
Are you for sure it is not over-full?
Check the breather catch bottle.
(left side, nearing airbox)

"When" is it smoking?

Start up / Idle / Accel / Decel / Always

White oil smoke makes me want to think it is valve related... guides or seals...

For the record man... after they fix it, don't baby it around for break-in. That's an ancient myth now. Break it in hard with acceleration and deceleration.

And don't wait that long on an oil change. 20 hours is too long on the break-in oil in my opinion...

Change it after the first hard ride or 5 hours... oil and filter... and make the first few changes short interval.

If there is anything in there to that puts break-in metals in the oil, they will be in the oil quick.

Everybody's drain intervals are going to vary some on what is 'normal'. But even like on lawnmower engines... I do the following...

5 hrs ....... oil and filter
25 hrs...... oil and filter
50 hrs...... oil and filter
100 hrs ... oil and filter

If the oil looks nasty at 100 hrs, I resume 50 hr intervals... if not I go to 100 hr intervals.

Not something I would do on a quad, but you see how my early drain pattern goes.

These methods have never failed me.

Baby one around or idle it a lot early and all you will get in return is a poor ring seat, more oil passing and less compression than you would have had.

scdirtdobber
06-20-2009, 05:53 AM
No drop in oil level.1.8 quarts 7oz shy of 2 on the change,catch box clear,smokes only on decel,maybe between shifts and revving at idle,none at start-up and not a constant smoke.I think it was smoking when I got it,someone else noticed it before me with less than a hour on it

scdirtdobber
06-20-2009, 11:10 AM
Well,It's at Currie Chainsaw Honda,The salesman drove it about 10 minutes and said it was fine,so I demanded I drive it some more and sure enough it started smoking.The head mechanic come out and held it at about 75% throttle for 30 seconds and let off it and it smoked and continued to puff each time he revved it.We go into his office and he said "it's normal" to smoke on decel?????? I told him I could understand if it was 10 years old with several thousand miles and not a month with 20 hours,he said he could take a new one off the showroom floor and it would smoke to? Seeing we had a old 300 that has been sunk,full of water,revved to the max and never saw a puff of smoke since we got it used in 1996 and the the guy we sold it to still rides it this very day.Our family has a total of 10 atv's including Hondas which all are over 5 years old and none smoke.He said he would call Honda and see what they want him to do and if they gave the ok to tear it down he would and call them back with the results,if they declined to repair it we would have to pay $60/hr just for the teardown.My wife who was PO'd told the salesman since the shop guy said it's normal to smoke did they want to buy it back,he said no due to such a large inventory.What a day! If I had not have payed cash for it and had financed it through Honda,I'd told them to cram it.......right along with the warranty.Service -before- the sale is always great

honda400ex2003
06-20-2009, 07:30 PM
Sorry to hear that, i would break it in as described above. it seems to work really well. I rode in 3 different times for 15 minutes in a moto practice ride type riding. so imagine you are racing around on a track then let it cool for 3 times. steve

scdirtdobber
06-20-2009, 07:43 PM
I've broke in several different ways,one I drove off the trailer and drove it 5 miles wide open non stop and runs great to this very day and that was in 98,some I drag raced the first day as well as some I took easy,all with the same result "no early smoking"I've owned 10 over the past 12 years,6 being new.I did not grand ma this one during break in hitting the rev limiter or let it idle alot ,I trail rode it with varying speeds.Smoke the first hour,maybe I'm wrong but seems to me it was defective from the start,the freaking reserve did not work this morning with 3/4 tank???

honda400ex2003
06-20-2009, 07:49 PM
something is wrong anyway it must have got messed up at the factory to be like that already. lol, steve

scdirtdobber
06-20-2009, 07:57 PM
I should have kept riding and fixed it myself when it started to constantly smoking than dealing with the dealer,I've done enough Honda's over the years to know how,most due to sinking and having to split the case to get the silt out ect,they think they have submarines around here

honda400ex2003
06-20-2009, 07:59 PM
i have some buddies like that with their foremans. lol, we just put new bearings in one all around. lol steve

scdirtdobber
06-23-2009, 10:02 PM
Well,got a call from the service mgr at the Honda dealer in Lumberton,NC and he said he contacted Honda Coorp and according to them it is normal to smoke and it was ready for me to pick up.No need to cause more fuss,I picked it up today and put it in my building,I'm very dissapointed in the service I got.I called Honda myself and they said I could take it to another dealer for a 2nd opinion but they may charge to diagnose it,I expressed to them I did not want to go on a long trail ride and have to check the oil every hour worrying that it might get to low and cause further damage I would be liable for due to improper maint.They were no help at all.I can tear it down and re-ring it,I've done plenty but it's the principle of having a warranty or what ever it's called.I thought about trying a good synthetic oil with a JASO MA rating but not sure if it will help.

Eviltanker
06-24-2009, 05:41 AM
Honestly, Don't worry about the smoke till it it does it all the time. I have an '06 and it has done the same as yours since new. I got about 500 hours on it now. Don't need to check your oil constantly but before each ride and poss. during a break and at the end of the ride. Mine doesn't need oil till I do my oil change (15hrs.) I've only seen the newer ones 05-07 do this for no reason.

scdirtdobber
06-24-2009, 06:17 AM
I found another post on a different site with a guy having the same issue on his with 6 hours,must be a issue on those years.He was recommended to run Mobil 15w50 to stop it I hear alot of peaple using it alog with Rotilla on the 400's,these oils don't have the JASO MA rating or does it matter?

Eviltanker
06-24-2009, 06:50 AM
I run Klotz MX4 15/50 still does it when hot and on decel

scdirtdobber
06-24-2009, 07:36 AM
Thx,Guess I'll continue to run conventional oil.Did you ever take your back to the dealer due to the smoking?

Eviltanker
06-24-2009, 07:52 AM
Nah, I work on Atv's and Bikes. I tore mine down and looked at everything and decided it must be the nature of the beast when I couldn't find anything wrong or out of spec. Just keep up your maintenance and all will be good.

F-16Guy
06-24-2009, 07:59 AM
Drain the oil out of it and take it on a long trail ride. You have a record of attempting to get service for smoking. How will they know that something didn't let loose and cause excessive consumption? Your case is exactly why I hate dealers. They're all smiles and promises while you're writing the check, but all of that goes out the window the first time you need something.

honda400ex2003
06-24-2009, 11:37 AM
i would make them fix it first then once it wears out again then yoiu can rebuild it. just my .02 though. steve

MtnEX
06-24-2009, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by scdirtdobber
I found another post on a different site with a guy having the same issue on his with 6 hours,must be a issue on those years.He was recommended to run Mobil 15w50 to stop it I hear alot of peaple using it alog with Rotilla on the 400's,these oils don't have the JASO MA rating or does it matter?

The engine does not care what kind of oil it is as long as it can stand up to the heat.

It's the trans and clutch sharing the oil with the engine that creates the problem. Some oils will cause the clutch to slip... some will not. This is because of certain friction modifiers they add to thinner CAR oils that can cause the slipping.

Rotella 15w40 and 15w50 Mobil 1 don't contain these additives, or not enough to cause slipping.

Down here man, I highly recommend 15w or 20w.
It's hot and these are air cooled.
Very hard on the oil, so I think 10w would shear quick.
15w or 20w can stand up a little better.

MtnEX
06-24-2009, 04:13 PM
No drop in oil level.1.8 quarts 7oz shy of 2 on the change,catch box clear,smokes only on decel,maybe between shifts and revving at idle,none at start-up and not a constant smoke.I think it was smoking when I got it,someone else noticed it before me with less than a hour on it

Smoking under pressure then....
I've seen that and know what you are talking about now.

I've seen them do it in both blue and white smoke... many of them in the 10 years they have been around...

Well,got a call from the service mgr at the Honda dealer in Lumberton,NC and he said he contacted Honda Coorp and according to them it is normal to smoke and it was ready for me to pick up.No need to cause more fuss,I picked it up today and put it in my building,I'm very dissapointed in the service I got.I called Honda myself and they said I could take it to another dealer for a 2nd opinion but they may charge to diagnose it,I expressed to them I did not want to go on a long trail ride and have to check the oil every hour worrying that it might get to low and cause further damage I would be liable for due to improper maint.They were no help at all.I can tear it down and re-ring it,I've done plenty but it's the principle of having a warranty or what ever it's called.I thought about trying a good synthetic oil with a JASO MA rating but not sure if it will help.

Yeah, warranty is indeed the principle...

I would take it to the next Honda dealer and see what happens... just keeping on pressing the issue.

I think the deal is that Honda probably is not going to just roll over on it. Not without being pressed a little.

I say that because if Honda fixed every smoking and rattling or ticking 400EX they have made, they would go broke on the machine.

To be honest with you, these issues is what kept me away from the 400EX from the get-go. Every one I saw it '99 was smoking and ticking out on the trail early on.

I saw the engine for what it is... basically an XR250 motor with a 400cc big bore kit. So I stayed far away.

Today, people don't see it that way, but that's really what the engine is, and what you have to see it for.

I finally bought one because they are still surprisingly solid and bulletproof. Many of them pass a little oil and make noise, but still keep on running forever.

With that said though, I have seen some that did not smoke and were quiet. And if mine were under warranty I would expect that too. And I would push until I got it.

I've seen many of them re-done though that just smoke or rattle again in a short time.

I'm not sure if it's the bike, or the rider, or their break-in procedure.

But I would keep pushing since it's new and under warranty. In the end, they have to repair or replace it, unless they can prove it was your fault. I'd make them repair or replace it now.

MtnEX
06-24-2009, 04:16 PM
Wait a minute dude......

How long has it been since you signed the papers?

Check your state laws....
Then return the d@mn thing and demand a refund.

Most state laws give you a period of time where they have no choice.

scdirtdobber
06-24-2009, 09:35 PM
MtnEX,I live in SC but was purchased in NC on the 15th of May and called the dealer on the 18th after I noticed smoke and alot of engine noise,by all means I'm happy with the 400,I love the way it handles and me being a lightweight rider it suits me,I would change the gearing a bit, 1st is a bit low and 2nd is high which I can change after the warranty, otherwise I'm pleased with the exception.We called the owner of the dealer today since we have not spoke to him about it,he had the same attitude as the service mgr,I told him if I wanted to sell it today or trade it in with only 21 hours on it who would buy it smoking?Which he did not comment! I told him today I need a option on the matter,either fix it,buy it back or give me another one.He said he would call back today to give me an answer but as expected no call.My first impression at this dealership was that they would take care of you,so far that's not the case

MtnEX
06-24-2009, 10:58 PM
For what it is worth, if it's not moving a LOT of oil, you can probably give it hell for years and never have an issue... nature of the beast...

But that does not make it RIGHT either.

Also, for what it is worth, it's hard to say where the oil is passing at...

Valve seals, valve guides or rings...

And also for what it is worth, if it 'IS' the rings and you re-ring it... it is very likely it will still do it, or do it very soon.

That's just what I have seen.

Also, I meant to ask you... did you ever check that breather tube catch bottle for oil?

Also... did you check your filter at all?
No signs of an air leak?... Dealer serviced properly?

Could have broken in while a little lean and be their fault...

scdirtdobber
06-24-2009, 11:59 PM
I do all my own service work and everything checks out ok,I'd almost put money on the rings,if I do it myself I'd mic the bore prior to doing anything and go from that.I adjusted the valves and did the first oil change at 20 hrs and kept all receipts,even took pics of the valve adjustment,just to be safe on the warranty which the service mgr said was inline and made copies of my records receipts of the Honda oil/filter.I did check all the boots the catch bottle and filter all which were fine.I'm a freak of sorts on proper maintience and care of my rides. The warranty manual states the owner can do his own maint if they have the tools and know how,I've been doing atv and small engine work for about 6 years now,started as a hobby but has slowly turned into a small business.

MtnEX
06-25-2009, 12:09 AM
Loose 20 hrs on the break-in oil change...
For sure... that's too long.

Honda oil and filters aren't going to kill it... But I'd probably loose those too...

It's just a high price for average product.

OEM brand oil and filters cannot be REQUIRED for warranty purposes. Well, they can... but if REQUIRED they must also be provided FREE. That's the rule last I heard.

I was just thinking along with this that your problem could be caused by a scar in the cylinder wall from a piece of wear metal.

I really don't think you should leave break-in oil in that long.

scdirtdobber
06-25-2009, 07:17 AM
True-I was sticking by the book on this one,remember the smoking started the first hour of riding,not hours later and is no worse now than it really was after the change.Seeing it had a smoking issue I wanted to use Honda brand oil so nothing could be said like you used the wrong filter and it did not meet oem standards ect.. because they want you to present a receipt of the oil/filter which was the 1st thing the service mgr asked for,if it didn't have any issues I'd shop at Napa like I do my other atvs using a WIX and Valvoline ect...

scdirtdobber
06-25-2009, 08:02 AM
My guess on this atv is improper storage or had a defect from the factory,It had fuel in it on the show room floor with the gas in the on position and it being a 2007 model it may have arrived to them in late of 06,2 years for sure.I fuel smelled odd and the first thing I did was top it off with fresh 93 after I intially rode it during the first week.I'm sure the atv has been in the weather for display during these years and doubt they oiled the cylinder during this storage time,I have visited this dealer before and they start them and move them occasionally putting the new arrivals out in front for display,I'm sure they did not expect to have it for over 2 years and I know what improper storage can do to anything,one of my trucks are down due to tranny issues,I run it out of fuel,pulled the top off the carb,lubed the accelerator pump and oiled all 4 cylinders because it may take me a few months to come up with the $$ to do it,we live in a humid area and moisture is h*ll on cylinder walls

F-16Guy
06-25-2009, 08:03 AM
http://consumer-law.lawyers.com/warranty-law/Consumer-Law-Warranty-FAQ.html

scdirtdobber
06-25-2009, 08:16 AM
That's good straight to the point info!I filed a complaint with the BBB on warranty claims,it might help it get resolved or it may not.I could say screw it ride on or fix it myself but will not.The dealer owner wittnessed it smoke as well as the service mgr and I will not be pushed away very easy,my family said I'm crazy for not raising hell at the dealer after they saw it smoking but knowing my crap for luck I'd be in jail,which I'm not that type anyway.I saved for several years to get this atv and maybe it's not alot of $$$ to some but it is to us.It's like I asked the owner of the dealership yeaterday,"I have a month old atv with 21 hours,looks like new but smoking,how much is it worth and who would buy it or maybe I can tell them Honda states this is normal it will be just fine,so just give me the actual value dispite the smoke,I'd even catch crap trying to trade it".I called another dealer today and explained to the Service mgr as well as a mechanic in detail about the smoking issue and they stated it was NOT normal,to bring it in and for $99 they would do a cold/hot compression test which the my dealer I don't think did.I feel like I should not have to take it to another dealer to do this and spend more money,I've spent enough of my time and fuel already.I have no problem with the guys at the dealer,just the after sale attitude towards my smoking issue.

scdirtdobber
06-26-2009, 08:09 AM
Called Honda America again,those people are no help in resolving anything,they keep telling me it has a warranty and if it messes up they will take care of it,well it smokes,fix it.They expect me to pay another dealer to diagnose it.What good is the warranty?

killer400ex
06-26-2009, 09:31 AM
it almost sounds like jetting to me, 400es's are notoriously cold blooded, they take about 10 min to warm up and when they do its great, but i had the same issue last year, when your motor is cold it needs more fule to keep it running, thats why you have a choke to lean out the air fuel mixture, if it is already too lean you will notice it boggs on hard accel and slowly starts to increase in power or when you snap the throttle it will cough or stutter out white smoke, i never adjusted my carb and i was stupid not too, i just thought that i had bad rings and bad valve seals or something, if it is fine when you first start it or when the engine is cool and it gets worse as it warms up then i think it is a jetting issue, piston ring failure or valve seals wouldn't go this early, try adjusting your fuel mix screw, when it was originally set up it might have been at a different elevation or it might have been a different season which would cause them to have to lean it out, if that dosnt work then thats one thing you can rule out

honda400ex2003
06-26-2009, 09:46 AM
unfortunately the choke does not lean it out but make it very rich. It cuts off the air supply and dumps more gas in. If you are driving with your choke on when it is warmed up then it will smoke too. it is too rich so the gases are not burning fully and making it smoke. just a bit of knowledge and my m02 though, steve

killer400ex
06-26-2009, 11:53 AM
my b i had it backwards, that what i get for not having coffee this morning :o

scdirtdobber
06-26-2009, 12:10 PM
It is cold blooded and has the hiccups when cold but only takes a few minutes to warm up without the choke but does fine when it's up to temp,it just puffs blue smoke,between shifts,decel and off idle revs.The hotter and the longer it's rode the worse it is but the smoke is not constant.Let it cool down for 20 minutes,fire it up and rev it,no smoke.Take a 65 degree night and it's not as bad but no smoke when cold.I thought about trying a heavier oil but heck the GN4 10w40 only has like a hour on it and quite sure it has not broke down that fast.

scdirtdobber
06-26-2009, 12:19 PM
I did come across this article on a 2000 model with 6 hours on it regarding a smoking issue and oil.How true it is I do not know?The manual states only 10w40 or 30 which I know is light for 100 degree temps and hard riding but if they felt like the atv would start smoking using the lighter weights they recommend they would not have listed to use them but something heavier,on mine I do not think it is the weight oil http://www.desertdogshouse.com/mommapage/atv/honda/atv_honda2.htm

scdirtdobber
06-26-2009, 12:44 PM
Maybe I'm making a fuss over nothing and this is normal for the 400s,just not my experience with other Honda models?

BEAVER.989
06-26-2009, 12:51 PM
In my humble opinion, once you have a little more seat time in, it'll get better. The machine doesn't have very many hours on it and the rings probably haven't fully seated, yet. There is a bit of a break in period.

Ride like you stole it for 10hrs, change the oil with Honda GN4 and repeat. After the second oil change, switch to Mobil 1 or Rotella 15w50 and youre problems will probably fade away.

MtnEX
06-26-2009, 02:23 PM
The more I think about it, the more I think that might be what I would do too...

Ride it hard one day... then try 15w50 Mobil 1.

I gave mine a good long ride yesterday and my legs reminded me what an oil killer these engines must be... And the clearances can't be that dang tight in these things... they are soo hot...

MtnEX
06-26-2009, 02:32 PM
Called Honda America again,those people are no help in resolving anything,they keep telling me it has a warranty and if it messes up they will take care of it,well it smokes,fix it.They expect me to pay another dealer to diagnose it.What good is the warranty?

How oxymoronic right?... LOL... Not funny.

We won't fix the smoking... but if it blows up, we gotcha covered... (yeah right if it does). They know it will run a long time like that... they have been making this quad 10 years.

scdirtdobber
06-26-2009, 11:01 PM
Sounds like a plan to me,best yet! I was hoping we would have a ride this weekend but nobody has said yet,If we do I'll ride the piss out of it,darn thing does get the right leg hot

quadmad16
07-04-2009, 07:08 AM
Man i have that exact same problem:eek:
bought a 07 model 400ex about 3 weeks ago..and in the first few hours it started blowing puffs blue smoke,between shifts,decel and off idle revs.The hotter and the longer it's rode the worse it is but the smoke is not constant...i havnt yet called the dealer because thought it would go away after the break in period:ermm: i have a motorworks sr4 slip on ready to put on it but im gona take it down to the dealer before i fit it beacause im sure when he sees the non stock exhaust he will just blame that and want nothing to do with it:rolleyes: ...

honda400ex2003
07-04-2009, 09:54 AM
unless you bought it there and oked it with ther dealer it will void the warranty. it sucks ihad teh extended for 4 years so i had to wait to do anything to it so i would not void the warranty. what a joke. sorry to hear you are still dealing with this stuff with the dealer. keep pressing the issue or just wait and see what happens. drain the oil and take it for a ride then they can rebuild it after it seizes up. they will have to get you a new piston, rings, and a cylinder since they cannot put aftermarket stuff in. it will be new oem stuff. steve

scdirtdobber
07-04-2009, 11:37 AM
quadmad16,sorry to hear your having the same issue "kinda odd" mine now has 22 hours and it still puffs,I have a feeling it's not going to stop and seems to be getting slightly worse. Keep in mind like Steve said,the pipe will void the warranty.Maybe your dealer will help you out.I have had zero luck with my dealer nor American Honda.Keep us updated on what happens.Charles

BEAVER.989
07-04-2009, 11:44 AM
Not to sound offensive, but are these the first quads you guys have owned? It's perfectly normal for a quad to burn just a little oil on each ride. Mine has only a few hours on it and will smoke a bit on start up and a few other high rpm situations and has done do since day one. I consider this to be normal.

scdirtdobber
07-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Actually not my first.The only sport quads I've owned to date has been a 300EX and a 660 Raptor the others have been utility atvs but none smoked.I've got 2 guys we ride with on occasion both with 400EXs,one is a 2000 and the other is a 05 ,both look like crap & have been drove hard and neither smoke or knock and nothing done other than routine maint and clutches,I know because I've rode them as well as serviced them,that's the reason I decided to buy one because they seemed to be durable, kinda like my old 300 4wd that's been through the works.Like you mentioned earlier it is possible the rings have not fully seated which may or may not be the case.From my personal experience after being around atv's since the late 80's I do not consider it normal for a 4 stroke unless it's been abused,lack of proper maintience or has alot of hours on it,guess it's a matter of opinion and opinion only.I have did some research regarding the 07 models and have read some similiar stories as mine regarding the smoking issue,perhaps Honda had quality control issues that year,if I wanted smoke and a oil burner I'd got a 2 stroke and as far as the smoke issue on mine it does not have to be in a high rev or stressed situation to smoke.

quadmad16
07-09-2009, 01:50 PM
rang the mechanic at the local dealer today and said it certainly isnt normal for it to be smoking, and he wants to have a look at it..said he would send someone out to have a look....il keep u posted about what happens......colin

katch26
07-09-2009, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by BEAVER.989
Not to sound offensive, but are these the first quads you guys have owned? It's perfectly normal for a quad to burn just a little oil on each ride. Mine has only a few hours on it and will smoke a bit on start up and a few other high rpm situations and has done do since day one. I consider this to be normal.

Ive never had a quad burn oil but sometimes it smokes on cold startup but that excess fuel from the choke burning off.

scdirtdobber
07-09-2009, 09:13 PM
I'm at a dead end with my dealer,not sure if they are lazy or what.The thing that gets me is when the service mgr said he could pull any new Honda off the showroom and they would smoke the same as mine does and it is normal under stress,slight throttle revs when hot and you get smoke is stress?? Looking back at a reply from Eviltanker,I'm beginning to believe it's a 05-07 thing

MtnEX
07-09-2009, 11:16 PM
I'm at a dead end with my dealer,not sure if they are lazy or what.The thing that gets me is when the service mgr said he could pull any new Honda off the showroom and they would smoke the same as mine does and it is normal under stress,slight throttle revs when hot and you get smoke is stress?? Looking back at a reply from Eviltanker,I'm beginning to believe it's a 05-07 thing

It's not an 05-07 thing... that's why I stayed away from the 400EX so long. I've been seeing this for 10 years. The first 99's I rode with did it.

I've seen way more smokers than non-smokers.

It's smoke on acceleration. It seems like it's not when you are reving it... but it's because you are not holding it at RPM and it has no load... so it seems to "puff".

If you follow it though, you'll see and smell that it's smoke on acceleration.

I'm not sure why it happens though.

I think it is a combination of blow-by at the rings, and plain old just flashing off the hot cylinder walls.... IOW the oil film burning off.

The engines keep right on running though... on and on and on...

I have a buddy that has a smoker, and I can't tell you how many times he's had it re-done... and the smoking persists.

BEAVER.989
07-10-2009, 08:07 AM
See, normal... well maybe not "normal", but definately common.

scdirtdobber
07-11-2009, 08:54 AM
Well after some thinking I'm going to trade this one in,the dealer give me a good trade-in -$700 what I paid.They have a new 07 450r and a 08 700xx I may take a look at

powertechn2
07-11-2009, 01:09 PM
i have seen tons of rebuilt ones that smoke, even mine smokes a lil, but oddly enough i never have to add oil, never really drops, it was worse when i ran castrol act-evo oil, but then again, that stuff also made my clutch slip like hell if i shifted under full throttle in the powerband, and i also run race gas, and that also makes it smoke a lil under throttle, lead... i feel sorry for the person behind me lol.

at least at a 700$ deduction, thats not too bad, morethan you would get selling it outright.

now, if you new quad smoked, i would just catch it on fire.

:devil: