PDA

View Full Version : installing kill switch

ehorst33
06-18-2009, 02:03 PM
Alright i know i might get ripped on for not searching for this but i kinda did and haven't really found clear instruction.

i need to know how to install my pro armor kill swicth. The directions are pretty ****ty that came wiht it. If any one can give me quick instruction I would appreciate it, The switch has two wires just wanna know what to connect them too. thanks

proctorbc2005
06-18-2009, 02:40 PM
Did you purchase the ez install kit???

deathman53
06-18-2009, 06:35 PM
what year harness do you have? lets hope 87-89. You know those two wires where the key switch would go to? Connect one to each of them.

IcutMetl
06-19-2009, 06:54 AM
I have the same kill switch, and the same problem. I connected one side of it to ground, and the other side to the reccomended wire; I forget exactly what one. Of course, it doesn't work.

My harness has been all hacked up; my lights and handlebar switch is gone; all I have is a key switch and a non-working ProArmor tether for now.

So you're saying we can just tap in wire for wire with the key switch?

ehorst33
06-19-2009, 07:38 AM
all i have is the handlebar switch that plugs into the harness. beside were it plugs in there is a black solo wire thats it. Will i need to cut wires going into the plug or what, Im sorry but this damn things got me lost.

I can tear an engine apart and put back together,, gusset weld my frame and paint it,, but i cant install a damn kill switch haha

atvmxr
06-19-2009, 07:42 AM
the short wire to ground, the other wire splice into the source for the coil. not the plug wire!

when you pull the tether cord it creates a short to ground on the coil, which means no spark, and thus motor dies..

deathman53
06-19-2009, 09:25 AM
yeah, just use the key switch leads. The tether is the same kind of circuit as a stock keyswitch. Its a normally closed and when the key is in or tether is in, the circuit is open. With the key switch/tether in off its just like you are holding the kill button.

ehorst33
06-19-2009, 09:43 AM
i dunno if im missing something here but i dont have a key switch just the stock light/on off switch

ehorst33
06-19-2009, 09:45 AM
haha im sorry im lost if anyone can show me a pic i would love it,, ill try to get you guys a pic this weekend of what i have to work with

deathman53
06-19-2009, 09:53 AM
stock 87-89's had a key switch on the pad above the clamps. The wires from the harness are green and black w/white stripe. Its inside the boot with the connector for the lighting/kill switch. I was looking at a new 89 harness. Unhacked harnesses should have it. Its two black female ends.

jcs003
06-20-2009, 11:52 AM
one goes to ground(green) and the other goes to black/white