PDA

View Full Version : why do people remove there skid plates?

ae13291
06-17-2009, 05:59 PM
why do i see alot of quads without there skid plates, i passed on a cheap 400ex, one thing i was suspicious about was that it dident have engine or swingarms skid plates. i have looked at few others too all with no skid plates. is there a reason? it only makes it better to have one

matt14c
06-17-2009, 06:14 PM
While very minimal its extra or un needed weight. If not going over rocks and trees then no need. Also I know it helped me a couple times in mx because if the track gets rutted then the skid plate would get stuck on ruts or burms becuase it would just sit on top of the dirt and slow me down where as the disc and sprocket although not good for it at all would just kinda plow through it and let me keep my speed. Thats why I removed it.

06-17-2009, 06:26 PM
I run both full engine/chassis and swingarm. They dont weigh that much for me to have hem off. I ran without them and couldnt tell a difference but i would ride slower because I was afraid of hitting something

MyKe2g3
06-17-2009, 07:05 PM
I personally dont run skids but they do serve a purpose mostly the stuff i ride in doesnt require them but if you get into mx and serious trail riding and hill climbing you need skids. Just all depends on the type of riding you do.

Wheelie
06-17-2009, 07:57 PM
I remove the swinger skid when I go to the dunes, woods or track--it stays on.

Snipe
06-17-2009, 08:07 PM
All I ride is trails not much sand in missouri and not an awful lot of MX tracks close by, the XC scene for me I run full skids moose chassi and swinger and tusk a arms well worth the protection.

ran no a arms for awhile cot a tree one night and decided best to have one and plus it helps from grass and stuff from taking paint off the a arms causing them to rust.

06-17-2009, 08:13 PM
I think its easier to get over ruts with them you dont dig in as much rather you slide or plow a little. My terrain is all mixed though probally 90% sand but trails have sticks and roots but the worst is the mining sections with the huge rocks. Thats where I have actually taken chunks out of my skid plates.