PDA

View Full Version : wiseco versus L A Sleeve piston

new250r ider
06-17-2009, 05:46 PM
can anyone tell me if there is a difference between these two as far as quality or value? I am told I need a 67.25mm for my 86, and can have an L A sleeve Friday or a Wiseco in 10 days. Is it worth the wait?

IcutMetl
06-17-2009, 06:17 PM
10 days for a Wiseco? I bought my 67.5mm Wiseco, wrist pin & clips, needle bearing, and top end gaskets all off 1 ebay auction for $150 bones, and had it in less than a week.

I feel that it'd be worth the wait.

I think you'll hear mixed reviews, but from what I've gathered, it's cheaper to buy a better quality part. The Wiseco is a forged piston, while the alternative is most likely cast. If it matters, the Wiseco is made right here in Mentor, Ohio. There's pros and cons of each; the forged piston expands at a slightly slower rate, but is stronger. I've heard that a motor with a forged piston likes to warm up a little longer than with a cast, but that's not a biggie for me. I sent mine off to have my bore matched to the piston, and now that it's tuned right and broken in, woweeee does it run smooth and wild.

new250r ider
06-17-2009, 09:54 PM
thanks for the info - i had pretty much decided to wait anyway but the problem is that I am in Canada and have my yearly trip to the dunes at Saint Anthony Idaho booked to take off the day the piston will come in. I guess there's always next year because there is no time to get it bored out for the piston, put together, and broken in before then. Any idea how much the cylender should be bored over piston size? I just had it bored for a 67mm piston two weeks ago and the shop didn't go big enough. I warmed it up, rode around the yard a few times, then pulled out into a field to ride around a bit but didn't even get to half throttle before it siezed and was shot.

IcutMetl
06-17-2009, 10:11 PM
You should always order the piston and send it with your cylinder to be matched by a reputable builder; one that knows 2-cycle engines and their characteristics. The builder will measure the piston, and set the bore clearance the proper amount over. With proper clearance, jetting, oil/fuel ratio, and break-in, it should be seamless.

new250r ider
06-18-2009, 12:36 PM
yeah - I took him the new piston and the cylender last time too, that is why I was wondering about clearances because I only have 1 machine shop within 150 miles