PDA

View Full Version : My crash at Dumont Dunes

Bill Fuller
06-17-2009, 02:29 PM
I thought we had lost a rider and I was trying to get everyones attention. Turns out everyone was accounted for. I was planning on going to the crest and stopping, I had done it a hundred times before, this time there was no backside. Resulted in seperated shoulder, deep bruising in the legs and broked sub frame. I thought all was done but I managed to ride for 3 more days before the 40 hour ride home.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2-cqqJ2ztc

dariusld
06-17-2009, 02:58 PM
That was a really good video, two different angles.

You made like 10 mistakes. This would be a good video for first time dune riders. Maybe you just had a brain fart. Maybe you were trying to play catch-up. Remember, only ride as fast as you can see. My 10 year old son wouldn't have made that mistake. Were you drinking that day? Even after you launched, you could have saved it. Tell us the truth, what really happened? Was this staged for the video?

Pappy
06-17-2009, 03:06 PM
No lecture here Bill, I know you have more seat time then 95% of the folks here.....just glad you were ok

Staged...lol...yeah for our viewing pleasure:ermm:

Bill Fuller
06-17-2009, 03:14 PM
Yes I staged it all for the video. I even faked the 3rd degree seperation of my shoulder, heck I even acted like I was about to pass out when I put it back in place. I bet you and your son are awsome riders, to good for a tree dodger like me.

Please elaborate on the "10" mistakes. This WAS my first time to the dunes so share all you super knowledge. The only mistake I made was not paying attention to the riders in front who had already gone over. I had been all over that place for 3 days and then this happened. Please tell me how I could have saved it??? There was a razor back that was atleast 10 feet tall on the backside, the front nosed down on me cause I had already let off the gas to stop at the top.

dariusld
06-17-2009, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller

The only mistake I made was not paying attention to the riders in front who had already gone over.

I'm sure in the woods or on a track I couldn't keep up.

It didn't look like you were slowing down to stop.

:ermm: I would have never aproached at that angle.First thing you learn is to approach at an angle,not straight on.
In the dunes its real easy to go fast when following, not so much when your the leader. The leader is usually the best rider in the group. I usually just watch the person infront of me and that makes it real easy.The dunes are always changing especially when windy. Fresh sand is very soft and dangerous. This info isn't directed at you Mr. Fuller, just some helpful tips for novices, to avoid your mistake.

250r4life
06-18-2009, 06:15 PM
its all in the angle of approach... gotta turn sideways at the last moment...

if you know how to ride them the dunes are very safe... however, if you dont, they are anything but that...

cjkranz
06-18-2009, 08:10 PM
tough crowd... :eek2:

alberto
06-19-2009, 12:13 AM
When its all said and done we're all just glad you made it. ;) That was an honest mistake. I've playing in the sand for years and things happen very quickly out there. Lesson learned for us all. Thank you for the video. I will be showing it to my 17yr old son before our big fathers day ride this weekend. Good luck and a speedy recovery.

Bill Fuller
06-19-2009, 06:15 AM
Still recovering. The shoulder is not in pain but it's still about 1/2 inch out of socket. The bruising in my legs has mostly gone away but the spot where the quad landed on my leg had a fluid sack about the size of a softball. The fluid has gone away but the discoloration of the muscle has not. I have a large indention where the fluid was on the muscle and currently have no feeling in that part of my leg. All in all I will go back, not my worst crash.:D

Bill Fuller
06-19-2009, 04:42 PM
I am wearing the 560 kit from Heletcamera.com and Mark is wearing th GoPro "wide"

mcboomport
07-01-2009, 03:17 PM
ouch, those ones suck. Thats why Im always keepin the front light and ready for those drops. a quick downshift and pull on the bars to throw the front up could have saved ya. No dissin, cause i've seen the aftermath of riders do this same crash without a helmet and slice open their heads..
glad your ok man.

ezdaar
07-01-2009, 03:54 PM
Holy Sheet! that looked like it hurt BAD!

dariusld
07-02-2009, 09:12 AM
I didn't think of this before, but how did the camera hold up?

Dunesurfer
07-02-2009, 01:27 PM
Damn Bill,
Good crash. Lucky it wasn't a bigger drop off. I see people get killed and maimed in Glamis every year doing the same thing. For future referance always swoop up to the top at an angle that allows you to either turn back down the dune you are heading up, or down the other side at a angle. Think of making a "s"
I lead quite often at Glamis and when you can't see the other side beware.. Like another post said, only ride as fast as you can see. Good luck on your recovery, just another lesson learned for sure.

GoOn3
07-23-2009, 11:21 AM
that's a common wreck I've seen before. I've had several "almost" wrecks doing the exact same thing - a nice scar on my chin to prove that....I'm darn lucky I didn't flip over like you or it could have been worse.