PDA

View Full Version : Outlaw 500 Wheelie

faster4whl
06-17-2009, 12:03 PM
I got a 2006 Polaris Outlaw 500 all stock. I have been trying to wheelie. I just need a little help. I can power wheelie in 1st till I run out of gear. In 2nd I can pick it up but can't walk it. I am letting off the throttle then pulling up and gunning it. I have all ready fell off the back in 1st gear when it came back real fast. How do you walk your wheelies, by clutching or power? Also the factory grab bar is shaped funny, will it save me? When I fell off the bike didn't flip, I must of just had a loose grip.

sheriff525
06-18-2009, 10:50 AM
Just keep practising. You will eventually get it so you can pull it up in second and even third. The 525 has a little more power and I have been practising enough that i can get it up in 4th sometimes.

You will learn the point of where the bike likes to sit on the back wheels. it is the awesome once you get used to the ballance point and can ride a wheelie through all the gears.

faster4whl
06-18-2009, 11:21 AM
Yeah, I know I have to keep practicing. Do you clutch it up or power it up? What gear is best?

Bombshell525
06-18-2009, 12:06 PM
Powering it up is most likely going to be easier to control. Just lean back while pulling up and give the throttle hell. Practice and you will get it down.
Im not sure how much more power the 525 has than the 500 but riding fields I was riding out 5th gear power ups. :macho

faster4whl
06-18-2009, 12:44 PM
So the grab bar will save me? It didn't flip on me, but Polaris's grab bars are shaped funny. They come out then go down. Does the irs make it harder to wheelie? I thought about selling it anyway and getting a 400ex or Raptor, would they be easier to learn to wheelie?

Bombshell525
06-18-2009, 12:53 PM
The grab bar isn't going to save you. You just need to learn the balance point of your quad so take it easy and don't go out expecting yourself to be able to just ride out really long wheelies. It takes time, trust me.
Selling your irs for an inferior atv just for wheelies probably won't be a good idea.

faster4whl
06-18-2009, 01:04 PM
I mean if it would help me ride wheelies. I have been riding for about 2 years, but now just showing intrest in riding wheelies. I had about 3 400ex and 2 450rs last year. If a straight axle is easier I don't mind selling the outlaw.

somewon
06-18-2009, 01:07 PM
Is there a wheelie competion you are planning to enter? :D

if so i would say get a quad with as short a wheel base as possible. get a -3 swinger and your in buisness.

powertechn2
06-18-2009, 08:03 PM
my 400ex rips the front end up really easy, has a good balance point.

i have heard that the irs is harder to control wheelies, but i really am unsure. i know that the stock 400ex grab bar will save the quad from flipping on top of you.

my 400ex is also a 461 ex... so its got gobs of power and torque. like 47hp... about 33 lb/ft torque... so it rips :D

but really, why do you wanna wheelie so much, i mean is it worth it to get a different quad just to wheelie?

if it is, hit me up, but im in another state... lol shipping on a quad would be a lotto $$$ lol.

faster4whl
06-18-2009, 08:23 PM
Me and my dad like to mess around with them, then we sell them and make a little profit. Mostly just fun to tinker with different quads. No big deal, I don't get attached or nothing. Been riding lately and seen people walking it out and really just want to bust it out and walk it away. Just wondering if the irs is hurting my wheelies. I know I need practice, just looking for any tips.

wannaride4
06-21-2009, 08:06 AM
There are several keys to it, mainly practice. The irs is like the rest, totaly capable of long and controlable wheelie's.

Powering up is the easiest to control, and of course the 525 power make's this much easier.

Then learn where your balance point is and throttle control and learn to drag your rear break to help control your wheelie.