PDA

View Full Version : 450ER Gets hot.....

LTR450_#67
06-17-2009, 10:54 AM
Ok you Honda guys I need some help.....A good friend of mine is letting me ride his '06 450ER while my LTR has the cases split at the moment. I'm just riding it to stay in shape so I'm not running to hard. As far as mods go heres what I know. Full HMF exhaust, 13.5:1 piston, I think the HRC cam, has one of them zip tie air screw(?) and I think he said he's running 110octane (not sure what brand or kinda if it matters). One of the deals for me to ride it is to maintain it which is no big deal cuz I'm really good about that anyways, but I want to figure out the getting hot issue. Other notes are that the thermostat is taken out and the fan is removed. I'm not sure on the jetting. The Honda starts right up when cold or hot, the idle seems kinda rough and low, response is pretty good, pulls pretty good. It seems like it takes a lil while to get hot and the temp light flashing, I try to catch it before it boils over. I never let it idle much (if any) due to the fact the fan is removed). I usually pull off the track and turn it off for a couple minutes when that happens. Today I went out and put some of the race fuel in it, but this time I mixed some premium (91 pump) with it and I think it took a lil bit longer to get it to boil over this time.....So this leads me to believe it's lean...another thing is that the exhaust tip has the greyish white residue in it....which is a sign of lean, but at the same time I'm thinking it's cuz of the race fuel.......I haven't dealt much with FCR carbs......I know the basics from jetting a 2 smoke but the FCR looks a bit more complicated to me.

Any input is appreciated
Thanks
Aaron

310ESR
06-18-2009, 07:39 AM
Try putting the thermostat back in. The water flow is going to fast through the radiator to cool down. Same as race cars having restrictors in the water neck since they don't have thermostats.