PDA

View Full Version : fresh rebuild problem

killer400ex
06-17-2009, 10:34 AM
ok just got done rebuilding my engine, put a 426 piston in with 11:1, a stage 2 cam, full hmf exhaust and just got done tuning it exactly the way i want it, it was amazing how good it was running, but yesterday i went out to the shed and started it up, started fine, i let it run for about 5- 10 mins just idling, got on and gave it a low rev, then snapped the throttle, sounded great, took the choke off and snapped it again and it sounded mean, and then i gave it a lil rev again and it just stopped, like it didnt die out, it didnt make any noise, no pings or pops, no nothing it was like someone just turned the sound off or something, it was the weirdest thing ever, i didnt really think anything of it cause one and a while it will backfire and stall, but i went to start it again and the starter could barely crank the engine over, like i mean i could probly crank it over faster with my hand, so i let it cool for the rest of the day and tried again with the same results, i am completely stumped right now, ive worked on tons of these and never had that happen, and i tried it again today and the same thing happned, even with a jumper pack on the battery, i know the starter couldnt have gone bad cuz it started fine and i wouldnt be cranking at all if it was, its brand new basically, i checked my valves and cam and everything is fine, i just dont get it

F-16Guy
06-17-2009, 10:39 AM
It sounds like something let loose, and is now causing a lot of binding/drag in the engine. I'd tear it back down now before something else gets damaged.

killer400ex
06-17-2009, 10:44 AM
yeah but i completely tore it down last time, split the case and all, and i mean what would cause drag like that? its fine on the exhaust stroke kinda and on the intake stroke, i freaked out yesterday cause i thought it had seized but then it would have slowly died and smoked like a ***** bla bla bla, it had plenty of fresh gn4 oil but it just dosnt make sense, im a mechanic and im stumped, i know i have to rip it apart again, which pisses me off but im just trying to get ideas of what to look for, lucky me i get a certafied honda technission to help me do all this next week when he gets back, and i get it 4 free cause he is my instructor, but im just trying to get some justification or an answer to why or what happned

hypersnyper6947
06-17-2009, 01:22 PM
The way it just died almost sounds like in ran out of fuel, but that wouldnt explain the starting problems now. Have you tried to turn the motor by hand with a ratchet to see if you feel anything.

Are you positive you put the rings and wrist pin in correctly?

killer400ex
06-17-2009, 01:39 PM
ok i jus got back from the shed, and no if it had ran out of fule it would have sputterd and coughed and crap b4 it died, i think it might be either the rod or the crank, i took the side cover off and tried to crank it over with a wrench and wow i mean it was bad, i could barely turn it, but there was no grinding or anything so i dont think its the piston or wrist pin, but whatever it is isnt going to be pretty when i pull it apart. i am honestly not looking forward to it, i can crank it over and stuff but not like its supposed too