PDA

View Full Version : gearing for low end- torque

beags86
06-16-2009, 06:50 PM
looking for the right gearing to gear down my 400, girlfriend is going to ride it and she has a hard time not killing the thing if it's not flat or down hill, she does pretty good but i think some lower gears will help her, until she learns the curve a bit better.
right now it has a k&n, open air box, fmf pipe and 165,45 jetting. any thoughts? i also would like to be able to pull a small trailer with it and think lower gearing will help. what do you guys think???

06-16-2009, 06:59 PM
how do you kill it I can idle in 1st and 2nd and it wont stall lol I can almost take off without giving it gas, if my idle was higher i could. raise the idle. if you have to drop a tooth on the front.

beags86
06-16-2009, 07:11 PM
lol don't ask me man, but like i said she fine on the flat or going down the hill, but it harder for her to get going on a hill, and it doesn't help she is scared sh*tless that if she gives it to much gas she will wheelie and go over backwards..lol.. i mean hell i have killed it starting off going up a hill. i have the idle up now, and on mine it very hard to start in 2nd without giveing it gas.

Snipe
06-16-2009, 09:42 PM
Easiest thing to do is drop 1 tooth size on the front sprocket.

Teach her how to let out on the clutch without giving it gas to take off. Most stock ex's will pull itself up a slight grade with just letting out on the clutch very slowly.

Learn to do that then give it some gas before take off as long as you have your hand on that clutch it wont flip just teach her to let out slowly it wouldnt take but a few rides and she will be golden.

bergoff
06-16-2009, 10:53 PM
she sounds like my little brother. we were at the farm a few years ago and he rode the 300ex off of the track by the spring and it rolled on him. he was ok but since then he won't ride it anywhere but the drive way. idk what he was thinking. but he can start in first and he lets the clutch out so slow in 2nd he dont even give it gas. i think i will need to install and new one after his trip down in 2 weeks.

ae13291
06-16-2009, 11:07 PM
do 1 tooth down on the front sproket, she will like it that way better. i have seen the problem with too many people that always bog it up a hill, i bet thats her problem, she needs to keep it in a higher gear dude

beags86
06-17-2009, 03:44 PM
i don't know it's weird, one she seams to ride like a pro, the next pretty much totally sucks, last time she was rideing it was like teaching a 4 yr old, but the time before that she did great, i was almost going to have her start jumping and wheeling..(well not really but you get the idea)

anyway, how much will top end be hurt by one tooth down up front.

beags86
06-17-2009, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by bergoff
she sounds like my little brother. we were at the farm a few years ago and he rode the 300ex off of the track by the spring and it rolled on him. he was ok but since then he won't ride it anywhere but the drive way. idk what he was thinking. but he can start in first and he lets the clutch out so slow in 2nd he dont even give it gas. i think i will need to install and new one after his trip down in 2 weeks.

who owned the 300ex??

smelly$cat
06-17-2009, 04:51 PM
"anyway, how much will top end be hurt by one tooth down up front."

Not that much. Unless she's running around in 5th pinned, you won't notice any top end loss.

beags86
06-17-2009, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by smelly$cat
"anyway, how much will top end be hurt by one tooth down up front."

Not that much. Unless she's running around in 5th pinned, you won't notice any top end loss.

haha she doesn't ride like i do, i don't think she's ever even been in 5 th...lol

bergoff
06-17-2009, 05:13 PM
tom owned it. the guys house we went riding at. it was a real gem. it had a plastic barrel for a front fender. the bars were bent really bad. it had a very tough life but it ran awesome. i told him about it and he just asked if devon was ok. he didnt care. he sold it a month later on ebay for a grand.