PDA

View Full Version : how to keep the front end down

yamahaman623
06-16-2009, 03:55 PM
i am drag racing and i cant keep the front end down. i already lowered the front and it still pulls up. i just need some opinions on how to keep the front end down.

thanks

deathman53
06-16-2009, 04:25 PM
A longer swingarm for sure, maybe adjust your riding to put more weight on the front end.

usp4u
06-16-2009, 05:20 PM
need more info.
pavement,dirt,sand ?
swingarm length ?
front tires?
front suspension set-up?
what distance are you racing?
likage or no-link?
are you running the 450 or the warrior?

lotta possibilities, little info.

yamahaman623
06-16-2009, 07:19 PM
sorry for the lack of info. but i am talking about my 450. and i race 300ft on clay which is really packed. i run the stock swinger, 21 inch front tires. for suspension i run road bike shocks in front so the a arms are level, and in the back im still stock. i also run linkage but want does the linkage matter??

usp4u
06-16-2009, 08:59 PM
dont know that the linkage does matter, but now we know there is one and what you are running in the rear end. which is where i would start. based on your description you have the front pretty well handled.

do you have much wheelspin off the line or does it hook and lift the front end? if it hooks and hikes the fronts, then i would look into rear shock/linkage adjustment to get less weight transfer. if youre wheeliing excessively, then you have weight transfer to spare.
if you have alotta wheelspin off the line then you cant sacrifice rear weight transfer so using something like an adjustable pull rod on the linkage(i think dura-blue used to make one) is no help to you. otherwise, longer swingarm and use as much weight transfer as possible.

yamahaman623
06-17-2009, 11:09 AM
i get to much traction so the front wheels pull up so how would i adjust my rear suspension

usp4u
06-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Raise the ride height on the rear shock. Think of drag cars from back in the day, with the *** end hiked up. this was done to limit the amount of rise in the front end as there wernt many 4-link or ladder bar set-ups back then. as you know, a wheelie is wasted forward motion. this is much the same system in the rear of a quad with a straight axle.
Sounds like you have traction to spare, therefor you can afford to play with weight transfer. raise rear ride height, stiffen rear shock,different spring rates, shock linkage,valving, etc. You can change these items until you start to lose traction. Ideally, you should be on the edge of spinning the tires off the line. that would have the maximum allowable wieght holding the front end down, while transfering the minimum amount of weight needed to the rear tires while maintaning complete traction.

or say "f it" and get a longer swingarm or wheelie bars.

06-19-2009, 09:40 AM
eat donuts and lean forward. Or if you have a battery make sure thats relocated up front along with anything else you can relocate up front.

motofreak2772
06-19-2009, 10:34 AM
longer swing arm, no linkage and adjust the suspension.

yamahaman623
06-19-2009, 10:53 AM
motofreak like i asked before what does no link do to let my front end stay down?? just curious

Scro
06-19-2009, 11:16 AM
A linkage allows the shock to be smooth throughout the whole suspension travel. In doing this, you are loosing power through the weight transfer of the quad. Some of the power is being used to "squat" the quad, instead of moving it forward.

With a no-link rear end, the shock becomes progressively harder throughout the suspension travel (more so than the linkage design). This allows more of the power to be put to the ground, rather than into "squating" the quad. Plus, you won't have the weight of the linkage.

I would think that it would make the front end want to stand up, more so than a linkage. But that's when you would need to get a longer swingarm, plus forward a-arms, or a wheelie bar.

Disclaimer: I'm not a drag racer, this is just what I think is right.