PDA

View Full Version : How to reduce frame weight...

quad2xtreme
06-16-2009, 03:23 PM
You can just remove unnecessary sections. :D

416exfreak
06-16-2009, 06:11 PM
How'd you break that.

It cant be fresh but, because there wouldnt be rust on the area of seperation just after cutting.

So, pray tell.. how the f**k did you do that?
:confused:

quad2xtreme
06-16-2009, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
How'd you break that.

It cant be fresh but, because there wouldnt be rust on the area of seperation just after cutting.

So, pray tell.. how the f**k did you do that?
:confused:

I have no idea at all. I can tell you for sure the break closest to the rear of the quad was not there before I started riding Sunday. Guess the front one could have been. It looks rustier than it really is although you can see that the inside of the tubes do have some surface rust on them. It definitely has a day of rusting from when I washed it.

My wife wants me to go ahead and order the Lonestar frame instead of getting a bike.

06-16-2009, 07:01 PM
dont know why I didnt think of this before I took a grinder to my frame rails today hopefully i can keep up with the 450's this weekend.

deathman53
06-16-2009, 07:18 PM
if you look on his other thread, way over gusseting the frame, making for a frame thats too stiff. And then without it flexing, it will flex in the weakest area and cause it to break.

"the trx250R frame only needs what you see hear in the link to the thread below ,..no more no less

more is a waste & can make the frame too stiff ,promotes more breakage at times
less is ineffective for preventing breakage ,cracks etc ..& wont handle hard core rding /jumping etc
I see how people / riders add all those ridiculous lil triangles ...& I think why ? I guess some dont really know what it takes to get the right balance ...so they just "hope" it works ..

the pics are of a proven a method & areas that frame needs to maintain some flex & still adds stength to prevent breakage ..

http://*********.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=1261

there is even a LSR kit(39 pcs I beleive) out for 450R that is an overkill & IMO is a waste ,too many parts & will probably promote more breakage than help ...
how do I know ?? .. I did one recently ...I didnt like it & but my customer wanted it ..so he got it !

just because it s available from a big name co. doesnt mean anything except .. when you buy it ...they make MONEY!!!"

this is from another site, he does good work and understands how and not to gusset frames, from a famous builder for Barry Hawk.

http://i30.tinypic.com/91i2ir.jpg

I have 2 frames that he did, I'll get pics of one of them. Its 250r frame, but you will get the idea of how to not overgusset the frame.

quad2xtreme
06-16-2009, 07:23 PM
Originally posted by deathman53
if you look on his other thread, way over gusseting the frame, making for a frame thats too stiff. And then without it flexing, it will flex in the weakest area and cause it to break.

"the trx250R frame only needs what you see hear in the link to the thread below ,..no more no less

more is a waste & can make the frame too stiff ,promotes more breakage at times
less is ineffective for preventing breakage ,cracks etc ..& wont handle hard core rding /jumping etc
I see how people / riders add all those ridiculous lil triangles ...& I think why ? I guess some dont really know what it takes to get the right balance ...so they just "hope" it works ..

the pics are of a proven a method & areas that frame needs to maintain some flex & still adds stength to prevent breakage ..

http://*********.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=1261

there is even a LSR kit(39 pcs I beleive) out for 450R that is an overkill & IMO is a waste ,too many parts & will probably promote more breakage than help ...
how do I know ?? .. I did one recently ...I didnt like it & but my customer wanted it ..so he got it !

just because it s available from a big name co. doesnt mean anything except .. when you buy it ...they make MONEY!!!"

this is from another site, he does good work and understands how and not to gusset frames, from a famous builder for Barry Hawk.

http://i30.tinypic.com/91i2ir.jpg

I have 2 frames that he did, I'll get pics of one of them. Its 250r frame, but you will get the idea of how to not overgusset the frame.

How about we make a deal? You get a new frame and gusset it the way you want and get it powdercoated. I send Pappy 3k to hold for 1 year. If in 1 year I can't break your frame, Pappy sends you the 3K. If I do, he returns my money and you are out the cost of your frame and gusset job. :p

Pappy
06-16-2009, 07:31 PM
deathman....kellner is correct, but you are trying to compare apples and oranges. The 250R frame is good metal, the 450R frame is junk metal. Yes, over gusseting can lead to issues for sure, but any gusset work is only going to be as good as the metal its welded to and the way the frame is used.

You flat land a 80 Foot jump over and over, its coming apart no matter who gusseted it or how they gusset it. In Jons case, his learning curve to big jumps was the nail in the coffin for his frame. By the time it was broken and first gusseted, the damage was done. The extra gussets he added where to buy time, he knew it was a futile effort.

Ive seen frames that never see more then 3 feet of air break clean through with less then 3 months time on them....the metal they use is trash and combine it with a very bad design in construction and you have breakage waiting to happen on the 450R

quad2xtreme
06-16-2009, 07:34 PM
The whole story is this frame has been welded on so many times I can't even count. The metal is very fatigued. At some point, you just keep fixing breaks and it moves to a new spot. The stock frame actually did really well for a couple of years...of course, I wasn't jumping as much or riding nearly as often as I do now. I ride when it is below 32 too. I am sure that isn't too good on it. This frame has been welded on 4 times this year alone.

I also am not the best jumper in the world. I land short on many occasions but I am improving. :D I am even thinking about losing a few pounds. :eek2: ;)

416exfreak
06-16-2009, 08:28 PM
Your wife is telling you to buy parts for your quad?

Im not even a legal adult yet, and even I know you need to jump on that. Thats a once in a lifetime thing there man..

Even when I have a girlfriend, they b***h about how much money I spend on my truck and quad.:ermm:

06-16-2009, 09:12 PM
hows the 400ex frame? I flat land well about 90% of my jumps lol No frame cracks that I can see. Thats why I cant see breaking a frame I have put my quad through so much and it hasnt failed yet. Finally something gave yeah I bent my handle bars after some crazy accidents over the years they stayed straight and true.

250x_kyle
06-16-2009, 09:39 PM
thats crazy. ive seen them break there but not like that. u got urself a wall onrament. lol.

deathman53
06-16-2009, 10:38 PM
I had a atc250r frame that would be quite a wall decoration, top tube broke twice, each side of frame to footpegs, subframe twisted and cracked all the way through to the footpegs. I'm surprised it held together. I rode it with a cracked top tube and got that fixed. I rode it some more and it didn't feel right, top tube re-cracked and side tube. Upon inspection, I found more. I kept the frame for ailttle longer, when I ponied up and got a frame custom made. I showed the guy where and how the frame cracked, so he got an idea how the reinforce everything. He never built a 3 wheeler frame before and wanted to know where they cracked. He's building me another frame now, 05 crf450r tank, shrouds, radiator, exhaust and motor. Trx450r fliptop seat/fenders, suspension, +2 swingarm and brake setup. Trx250r carrier, axle and rear brake caliper. Cr250r shortened forks on custom triples, brake rotor and caliper.

quad2xtreme
06-17-2009, 09:06 PM
frame is getting repaired to get me through the 4th of July and a couple days after that.

I will be ordering the Lonestar frame tomorrow. I am going to look at the Kawi 450 dirt bike too. I used to ride a WR400 so I don't think the power will be overwhelming. I think the 250 is probably a bit small for a 230 lb rider with gear on.

250x_kyle
06-17-2009, 09:25 PM
the wrs and yz400f and 426fs are complete pigs compared to the 450f bikes. u will be supprized.