PDA

View Full Version : 86 vs 88 A-Arms

IcutMetl
06-16-2009, 05:02 AM
Are 1986 a-arms same as 1988's? I need a pair of uppers for my 88 just to get me by(really bad ball joint), and there's a pair of 86's on ebay, but I swear they look like they've got camber adjustment...am I correct?

Does anybody have some spare a-arms in good shape laying around?

89rwfo
06-16-2009, 09:40 AM
yep 86 uppers have adjustable camber and will work on your 88. It is a pretty good set up

matt14c
06-16-2009, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by IcutMetl
Are 1986 a-arms same as 1988's? I need a pair of uppers for my 88 just to get me by(really bad ball joint), and there's a pair of 86's on ebay, but I swear they look like they've got camber adjustment...am I correct?

Does anybody have some spare a-arms in good shape laying around?

I have a set of 86 all four both uppers and lowers for $75 shipped. Ball joints and bushings are all in good shape. Black in color nothing wrong at all no bends or dents. Arm bottoms scraped up from normal use could be cured with fresh paint. Let me know. Willing to move on price.

IcutMetl
06-16-2009, 02:41 PM
Cool; thanks for your help guys. I'm just trying to make some low-buck improvements right now; sooner or later I'll put some plus 2's on and nice shocks, but for right now anything is better than what I have.

IcutMetl
06-16-2009, 02:56 PM
matt14c- just sent you a PM

deathman53
06-16-2009, 03:25 PM
I had a few sets of 86 a-arms, the camber isn't adjustable, its just the top ball joint is replaceable. Not many quads come with adjustable camber or caster, Ktm's and Can-Am are the only ones I can think of that do or ever did.

IcutMetl
06-16-2009, 03:41 PM
That's cool, just more crap to adjust. My upper right a-arm now has a joint so loose I'm afraid it's gonna fold under and kill me; thought it was time to get a used set with the used shocks I scored on ebay.

dynofox
06-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by deathman53
I had a few sets of 86 a-arms, the camber isn't adjustable, its just the top ball joint is replaceable. Not many quads come with adjustable camber or caster, Ktm's and Can-Am are the only ones I can think of that do or ever did.

I've never seen stock '86 a-arms, how much tread is left hanging out once the ball joint is in place? Enough to either add or remove spacers to play with the camber?

deathman53
06-16-2009, 09:06 PM
I stand corrected, the 86 upper ball joint comes out and has a square-rounded shaft and 2 washer between the ball joint and a-arm. The 2 washers are ~1/8". That leads me to believe, if so desired the camber can be adjusted. I'd say, you can safely adjust the camber in. If you adjusted the camber out the square shaft would be less into the a-arm. With the 2 washers, you have ~1/2" where the shaft isn't in the a-arm. Another more than additional 1/4" and the shaft isn't much more than 1/2 way into the a-arms, doesn't seem too safe. There is enough thread for the ball joint to be ~1" out of the a-arm, the square shaft isn't even half in the a-arm, you be the judge of how safe that would be.

heres a pic of my old 86 quad, w/ stock a-arms

http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/deathman53/IMG_0029.JPG