PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brakes

Honda4LifeWes36
06-15-2009, 03:29 PM
I ordered new pads today to put on the back and I got them both in there but there so tight that I cant get them around the rotor?

Any help?

I loosened up the thing that lets you tighten or loosen the brakes as you want and I just DK what the deal is.

uchi
06-15-2009, 04:08 PM
not sure what you loosened up. probably the bleeder. wouldnt open it. you need to compress the piston so its flush with the caliper before itll fit over the rotor. if you cant compress it by hand then you should pop it out and clean it. mine was like that. make sure you clean all the crap off thats built up on the piston s it wont let the piston seat and then when you force it in itll either get stuck inside or if your really unlucky itll get stuck out and wear your pads down in about 10 minutes.

Honda4LifeWes36
06-15-2009, 06:21 PM
How do you get the piston out?

uchi
06-15-2009, 06:39 PM
if you have an air compressor you can blow it out by removing the brake line on the caliper and putting some air thorugh it. make sure you only put a small amount of air into it as the piston will come shooting out. if you dont you can try removing the brake pads and pulling the piston out by hand and if that doesnt work then remove the pads and pump the pedal once or twice and it should come out. inspect the seals in there to make sure theyre not damaged, and from past experience, before putting the piston back in remove the plate that holds the parking brake cable on the back. the pistons little shaft slides into there and i had a hard time getting my piston in and ended up ruining that seal.

honda400ex2003
06-15-2009, 06:41 PM
make sure the cover is off for the reservoir also, you should be able to push the piston back. make sure your e brake bolt is out far enough, that is most likely what you turned on the rear caliper. you can try to use a c clamp vise grip to move it a bit too but it should slide on sooner or later. steve

ae13291
06-15-2009, 07:06 PM
yea bro, no need to remove the piston if the caliper is not leaking. remove the reservoir cap and use one of the old brake pads laying on the piston and compress it slowly with a clamp