PDA

View Full Version : 04 YFZ 450 CDI issues

proctorbc2005
06-15-2009, 02:15 PM
I have a strange issue.
I purchased an ProCom CDI Unit, Installed unit bike will not start.
Put stock unit back in bike runs fine.
Dead CDI right, that what I thought at first.........I have now returned and recieved "3" ProCom CDI units, the chances of all 3 units being bad are almost impossible.........right.

Is there somthing on the bike I need to change (like blocking a wire harness) before installing an aftermarket unit.

The only thing I have that is not stock (as far as ignition system is concerned) is an Eldebrock Carb.

Any Thoughts?????? I am at ropes end with this issue.

BTW, the following components were replaced as part of troubleshooting:
Battery
Stator
Starter Solenoid and fuses
Spark plug
Plug wire (Ignition coil)

The ProCom unit is not the aftermarket CDI I have tried. I tried the one off of my friends "running" 05 450 and no joy.

??????????????????????????????????????????????

Ride1Rob
06-15-2009, 04:05 PM
STAY AWAY FROM PROCOM CDI'S. I had this issue a few yrs ago with one of their CDI's and I simply sent it back a remained using my stock one. A couple of yrs ago I got a Dyna and it hasn't missed a beat.

proctorbc2005
06-16-2009, 07:33 AM
Thing is it is just not a ProCom that will not work. I jumped in the Dyna from my buddies bike, and same issue. I want to purchase a Vortex CDI, but I think I would be a little upset if it did not work either.

Somthing else I forgot to mention, the ProCom that would not work on my bike worked just fine on my buddies bike.

Any Ideas on what could be causing this problem.

I would like to nail this down soon, I had knee surgery a few months ago, and am just about ready to ride again. I would like to have my bike if full working order before I go and "ball it up" at the track. LOL
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???