PDA

View Full Version : valves?

thebig450es
06-14-2009, 10:37 PM
Is there a "how to" for checking /adjusting valves on a 2002 400ex with a sparks +6? Thanks

F-16Guy
06-15-2009, 05:58 AM
Probably the best way is to get it on the compression stroke, remove the plug, insert a long, skinny screwdriver or rod until it touches the top of the piston, and slowly turn the engine over until the screwdriver/rod stops moving up. That will be TDC. At that point, you'll probably want to use some fingernail polish to mark the flywheel so you can find it again later.

timmy400exfast
06-15-2009, 07:45 AM
go to this

http://www.exriders.com/techarticles/valves.html

bigbad400
06-15-2009, 07:51 AM
i am sorry f-16 guy but that is totaly not the way to get TDC. dont ever put anything in your motor but what goes in there, there is 2 plugs on the flywheel side of the motor, allen plugs, remove them, grab a 17mm socket and wrench and put it on the nut in the big hole, shine light into the smaller hole and turn the flywheel till you find a T mark on it, there will be several marks on the flywheel but the T is what you want to set the valves,
put it to the T and check your rocker arms for play, it will be slight play but they should all wiggle, there is a how to on this in the how to section that is very detailed, this is not a job you want to do half assed. do it right or you could really mess things up in your motor.

the sparks key makes no difference in the valve adjustment. a cam would be the thing to worry about. no aftermarket cam on that is there?

bigbad400
06-15-2009, 07:53 AM
yeah that thanks timmy400exfast i dont know how to do that.

F-16Guy
06-15-2009, 07:57 AM
No, the +6 woodruff key changes the relationship between the mark on the flywheel and the actual crankshaft position, so lining up the marks will NOT get you to TDC. Inserting a rod or screwdriver in the sparkplug hole is absolutely not dangerous if done carefully, and the engine is turned over slowly by hand. It's really the only way to find TDC with an advance key aside from removing the rocker cover and looking at the cam. This isn't my first rodeo.;)

timmy400exfast
06-15-2009, 08:52 AM
that link that i posted, did it help,just wondering cause it helped me alot,good luck

thebig450es
06-15-2009, 10:51 AM
I was using that link but that didn't account for the +6

ae13291
06-15-2009, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
Probably the best way is to get it on the compression stroke, remove the plug, insert a long, skinny screwdriver or rod until it touches the top of the piston, and slowly turn the engine over until the screwdriver/rod stops moving up. That will be TDC. At that point, you'll probably want to use some fingernail polish to mark the flywheel so you can find it again later.

This is the correct way to do it!, i have done it this way since i put my sparks key in too! i just like the marks up on the flywheel as close as i can (so i know thats the compression stroke) and then i remove the spark plug and put the screwdriver in there to determine the true TDC by turning the crank till its at its highest point

bigbad400
06-16-2009, 07:49 AM
thats a good point but is +6 gonna make it even move? is the t mark still lined up or no? i have done my valves with the key many a time and its always perfect again once i do it, why wouldnt i have a loose valve or something if i wasnt accounting for the key? i get your point but it seems so small that you wouldnt even have to worry about it..... well when i put it that way it is only .004 and .005 that the valves are adjusted too so i guess +6 would be noticeable.

sorry man i guess i didnt think quite long enough about that all having an effect on valve adjustment, didnt mean to call you out like that...

thebig450es
06-16-2009, 09:43 AM
I just want to do it right, and not screw it up too much