PDA

View Full Version : Is yamaha the worst mx quads

Sick0
06-14-2009, 08:34 PM
I'm not really trying to start a flaming war here!!!!

I just came back from Unadilla, there wasn't any YFZ or YFZr out therel, and the one that were there got *** handed to them..
I mean come on, Polaris had more riders and support!!!

Is the new Yfz really that crappy nobody even race it.... Whats stopping yamaha from being aleast as good as the othere 450's...

I was thinking about buying a new YFZR but I'm having second thoughts...

ALAMX37
06-14-2009, 08:56 PM
It isn't a big secret. They don't perform. If they did you would see more riders and some decent moto finishes. The new YFZR is a lot better than the previous YFZ so Idk they are making strides in the right direction.

rollie
06-14-2009, 09:45 PM
must have missed the pro class, pat brown and thomas brown are both ob yamaha's this year.

a local pro around here has one and he says he loves it.

But with all the contingency from the other brands its tough, and alot of people that ride honda's won't ride anything else.

Ride1Rob
06-15-2009, 08:07 AM
Pat Brown is normally to far in the back to be seen anyway :rolleyes: . If you don't put a good rider on the machine it's not going to get many wins. Yamaha doesn't want to pay a nice MX rider to get the bike on the podium. No knock on the Kawi but those bikes motor wise don't hold a candle to a YFZ. Then you look and see Chad Wienen jump straight from Suzuki (which is a MUCH better machine than the Kawi) and consistently put the Kawi on the podium.

k4f5x0r
06-15-2009, 09:51 AM
where do you get off saying the LTR is far greater then the KFX? Wienen is beasting on his kawasaki ALOT more then he ever did on the LTR. the motors on the suzuki may push out more power but they have also had mroe R&D time and effort.

weinen himself said he prefers the KFX450 front end over the Ltr450 and you know what? he seems to be proving it.

and the LTR is a pig. weighs much more then everything else.

sorry i dont want to start a flame war but i hate when these die hard guys come out here and bash a quad because they dont know anything about it. pretty funny how its almost ALWAYS a yamaha or honda guy :mad:

tedwilley
06-15-2009, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by k4f5x0r
sorry i dont want to start a flame war but i hate when these die hard guys come out here and bash a quad because they dont know anything about it. pretty funny how its almost ALWAYS a yamaha or honda guy :mad:
Unlike the Kawi guys who post in the other brand forums?

Seriously, Yamaha just hasn't supported their bikes with top tier riders like Suzuki and Kawasaki are doing.
Maybe because they're selling so well without the expense of factory support?
Go to a local mx race and you will invariably see Suzuki, Yamaha followed by Honda, KTM, even a few Can Ams, in numbers of bikes. Almost never see a Kawi.
Dealers were giving them away before the recession hit.

Bottom line, put a TOP pro on ANY quad that his team can get to hold together and he'll podium. Pro riders don't choose their rides, their paychecks do.

k4f5x0r
06-15-2009, 12:08 PM
true to an extent. i dont feel like getting involved in a flame war.

ill just say i have ridden every 450 except the KTM and can am(and id ride both of those in a heartbeat i have sat on them just not driven them) and the last one i would pick is honda. i like the power but i do not like the way it sits at all.

on the yamaha's i feel like im sitting way to far back and i was never erally fond of them besides the R version now.

Ltr, i like the quad overall very much but the weight is terrible. ive jumped my friends and i cant move the thing around in the air like my kawi.

back at the time i bought my quad( goin on 2 years in november) i only rode trails with friends, so a fuel injected aluminum frame reverse 46" wide quad was perfect. if i knew i was going to be riding track at the time i would have either went with can am or the yfz450R.

doesnt really matter now though quad sits at home while im out on the dirtbike :p

Franklin999
06-15-2009, 12:36 PM
I am from texas and i see more YFZ's than anything else i think all the quads out there have there flaws if you got money and can ride you can win on anything thats the bottom line guys. P.S. its hot in texas and the machines here take a beating.

Sick0
06-15-2009, 03:30 PM
I did see pro class... I think theres was 4 of them... pat brown and tom brown were pretty far back..... and one guy almost got lapped... But besides the pro's who will ride anything, for a paycheck... Theres was only a few there seem like there 10-15 yfz out of the 500-700 racers...

Sick0
06-15-2009, 03:36 PM
Oh up in Northeast,, There is a ton of Kawi up doing well... I have heard the kawi don't seam to hold well, but its fast enough to win..

Ride1Rob
06-15-2009, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by k4f5x0r
where do you get off saying the LTR is far greater then the KFX? Wienen is beasting on his kawasaki ALOT more then he ever did on the LTR. the motors on the suzuki may push out more power but they have also had mroe R&D time and effort.

weinen himself said he prefers the KFX450 front end over the Ltr450 and you know what? he seems to be proving it.

and the LTR is a pig. weighs much more then everything else.

I have not only rode all of them, but I've modded a Kawi for a guy here (Portwork, cams, and exhaust). The guy was so disappointed in the bike that he went out and purchased a used YFZ with stock motor. The Kawi has sat for a year now and it won't crank because of fuel injection problems. Also, it's the slowest bike among all the 450's and has the lowest hp #'s as well. I'm not bashing on the Kawi, I'm just stating the facts and my personal experience with the bike. Wienen winning races on it is a good indication that rider does make a difference.

daddio
06-15-2009, 04:33 PM
Yamaha cleaned up at the ITP Quadcross this weekend.

300ex_#387
06-15-2009, 05:10 PM
It's funny because Honda gives out the least support to pros yet the amature classes are filled with Hondas. I wonder why.....

k4f5x0r
06-15-2009, 05:24 PM
i will give props to honda dominating the sport for the past years, but now with all these new machines coming out i think they will need to upgrade even just a bit to compete some more.

oh and for the kawi producing the lowest numbers, stock for stock yes but that is due to the extremely restrictive intake. big 3 mods and the kawi makes just as much as the other companies.

and the new YFZR is having some major problems making numbers. a VERY knowledable member on here(TNT1) said he has one at his shop and they have tried countless different cam grinds port work etc and they cannot get it over 50 HP.

oh and he also stated many things about the frame design.

400grl
06-15-2009, 07:25 PM
Well, there are a ton of YFZR's out West - WORCS and QUADCROSS....Nelson and Noss both whooped up this past weekend on theirs. Nelson also gets the holeshot 9 out of 10 times and his YFZR is putting down some serious power. Noss's was pulling Warnia's CanAm this weekend, too...

Cecco seems to be doing just fine on hers as well.....

I podiumed my STOCK YFZR in the Women's A class in WORCS at Round 1 - and that was BONE stock.

It's a great MX quad....each OEM just spends their money in different areas....some more in racing and on factory riders, some more in advertising, some more in development, etc....to say the Yamaha is not a good MX quad or it doesn't perform is just downright rediculous.

csr250r
06-15-2009, 08:25 PM
I was tossing around the idea of getting rid of my yfz, until the race season started. I run with the local A classes in MX and TT with just a sparks pipe for the motor. Cant wait till I put my cp hc in.

griffin32
06-15-2009, 10:08 PM
i think if yamaha had any contingency or support of any kind they would do a whole lot better look at any big motorsport series you see very few yamahas but head to the dunes or trail and they are all over the place

QuadJunkies
06-17-2009, 12:50 AM
Ive noticed alot more riders in WORCS this year has actually made the switch back to Hondas.
:huh
Contengencies and support will always play a factor in brand loyalty with the serious racer."Support those that support you" is what the riders do look for .
Too many specifics on who and why we do or dont see more or less brands at the track,one thing I DO know is that rider support has been cut WAY back this year due to budget cuts and our economy issues.
Just keep in mind, all the Pros are out there representing there factories, they are going to tell you what they want us all to hear ,its there job to promote.

IF you want the truth,you have to wait until they picked up by another manufactuer. LOL!

Ive seen every brand have there fair share of break downs ,I dont think we will ever see a qaud that can endure all the abuse we put on these quads-race ready or not.

proctorbc2005
06-17-2009, 06:11 PM
This is kinda like which is better Ford or Chevy..............

I have owned a Humdrum 400ex, so-sucky Z400, Kawa-sucky KFX 450, and now own a Yama-scrap YFZ450.

Each machine had its pros, and cons. But if I had to pick my favorite it would have been my 2002 Honda 400ex. I beat the crap out to that thing, and it never let me down, until it started having electrical issue. I guess riding it every weekend (for a year)and never washing it had something to do with that.

I absoutly love the YFZ 450 I have now, there are tons of aftermarket parts out there, power is not bad, hell even the stock suspension is not that bad.

Thata be my 2 cents!

Sick0
06-17-2009, 07:21 PM
This wasn't about which brands is better... I really disappoint about the racing sence for yamamha.... When all these racers are bypassing yamamha for othere brands, its telling me it not a good race quad.... I've been out of the race secne for awhile and yfz was a top cotender... Its time for new rided and I don't what direction to go..

By contrast Honda, I notice people going back to the 450r with no new gimmicks, no updates, or contingencys paybacks... This alone speaks volumes about how solid a platform the 450r is for mx...

yfzrider690
06-17-2009, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Sick0
This wasn't to about which brands is better... I really disappoint about the racing sence for yamamha.... When all these racers are by passing yamamha for othere brands its telling me it not a good race quad.... I've been out of the race secne for awhile and yfz was a top cotender... Its time to new rided and I don't what direction.

By contrast Honda, I notice people going back to the 450r with no new gimmicks, no updates, or contingencys paybacks... This alone speaks volumes about how solid a platform the 450r is for mx...

Are you really that illiterate that you can't even put a frickin sentence together that makes any kind of sense? I didn't understand anything that you just wrote.:confused:

coryatver
06-17-2009, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by yfzrider690
Are you really that illiterate that you can't even put a frickin sentence together that makes any kind of sense? I didn't understand anything that you just wrote.:confused:

I understand what he said. I think Yamaha took a step backwards with the new yfzr. There are more yfz's than ever at xc races though. Even most of the pro yamaha guys are racing the original yfz

Sick0
06-17-2009, 08:24 PM
I guess there always going to be some kinda of flamer on here!!!!!

QuadJunkies
06-17-2009, 11:56 PM
I understood it too. ...:o :p

yfzrider690
06-18-2009, 12:01 AM
How did you understand that first paragraph? It looks like a 3rd grader wrote it. Mispelled words and sentences that don't make sense.

QuadJunkies
06-18-2009, 12:29 AM
Im used to reading my kids spelling so it was a cake walk for me .:p

tedwilley
06-18-2009, 06:41 AM
How did you understand that first paragraph? It looks like a 3rd grader wrote it. Mispelled words and sentences that don't make sense.

Welcome to the internet!

06-18-2009, 07:17 PM
i wouldent take a yamaha if ya gave it to me :rolleyes:
honda for life

Ride1Rob
06-18-2009, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by hondarider661
i wouldent take a yamaha if ya gave it to me :rolleyes:
honda for life

The only thing from Yamaha that you'd take is an arse whoopin'. Loser for life

06-18-2009, 08:56 PM
well im not sayin there bad bikes. im just sayin me and my family have had experiance with yamaha's in the past and dont wanna go down that road agian. and ive rode honda since i was 3
haha
:rolleyes:

johng
06-18-2009, 10:41 PM
All these 450's are very competitive. Kawasaki and Suzuki better perform they are spending a ton of money. Give the Yamaha some time, its in its first year. Look how far Kawi's and Can Am's have come since the model release. I think Dustin Nelson is a perfect example of this he has had a YFZR longer than anyone and it shows, His bike work really well and he has gotten comfortable on it.

bferg911
06-18-2009, 11:04 PM
KTM BABY!!!!

yfzrider690
06-18-2009, 11:25 PM
KTM? Are you kidding me. Those are the ugliest quads I have ever seen and they are way overpriced. I can get a '08 yfz for 5800 otd where I live, with the money I save over the ktm I could put that into the yfz and it would walk all over the ktm. Game over.

QuadJunkies
06-19-2009, 12:47 AM
I glanced over a topic and seen some talk about KTM talking about discontinuing making ATVS?
Is that true?:huh

250r4life
06-19-2009, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by Ride1Rob
The only thing from Yamaha that you'd take is an arse whoopin'. Loser for life

lol :devil:

bferg911
06-19-2009, 08:56 AM
KTM? Are you kidding me. Those are the ugliest quads I have ever seen and they are way overpriced. I can get a '08 yfz for 5800 otd where I live, with the money I save over the ktm I could put that into the yfz and it would walk all over the ktm. Game over.

That would be funny as hell. Seeing you get your *** whooped by an ugly bike. Truth of the matter is, I own both. The yfz doesnt hold a candle to the ktm in stock form or modded. Until you've ridden a ktm you don't have ground to stand in this arguement. All you are doing is running your mouth. Go ride one then come back and appologize for being so ignorant.

Ride1Rob
06-19-2009, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by hondarider661
well im not sayin there bad bikes. im just sayin me and my family have had experiance with yamaha's in the past and dont wanna go down that road agian. and ive rode honda since i was 3
haha
:rolleyes:

Someone stating that they wouldn't take something if it was given to them pretty much sounds to me like they're saying it's bad.

Regardless of whether you have riden Honda since you were 3 or not your experience is your experience. The experiences that I've had with your bike (the 04 Honda) is me running by them like they're standing still. They are underpowered and have crank bearing issues. But you have never seen me in the Honda forum stirring trouble like you are here. If you don't want anything to do with Yamaha stay out of our forum disrespecting what we ride. And yes, you're still a Loser :macho

yfzrider690
06-19-2009, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by bferg911
That would be funny as hell. Seeing you get your *** whooped by an ugly bike. Truth of the matter is, I own both. The yfz doesnt hold a candle to the ktm in stock form or modded. Until you've ridden a ktm you don't have ground to stand in this arguement. All you are doing is running your mouth. Go ride one then come back and appologize for being so ignorant.

Really you have both? Then you should know that if you bought a new yfz for under 6000 otd and put the money into that you would save by not buying the ktm that the yfz would walk all over that ktm. And I have ridden a 450 ktm, my friend has one. I do think it rides good and has ok power. But for 12000 you lost your mind to think that a yfz wouldn't hold up to it if you spent the same amount. So I won't be apologizing for anything except wasting my time replying to you. Sounds like you are the ignorant one not me. The ktm's are way overpriced for what the come with.

bferg911
06-19-2009, 05:09 PM
Really you have both? Then you should know that if you bought a new yfz for under 6000 otd and put the money into that you would save by not buying the ktm that the yfz would walk all over that ktm. And I have ridden a 450 ktm, my friend has one. I do think it rides good and has ok power. But for 12000 you lost your mind to think that a yfz wouldn't hold up to it if you spent the same amount. So I won't be apologizing for anything except wasting my time replying to you. Sounds like you are the ignorant one not me. The ktm's are way overpriced for what the come with.

Obviously you are an idiot!! Ktm 450 xc out the door is 7000 plus you get the 1500 race ready package for free. You do the math DUMBASS!!!!

yfzrider690
06-19-2009, 05:33 PM
Ya I am the idiot. I don't know where you are getting one for 7000 because there almost 11000 where I live. Here's a link to the ktm dealer where I live. So who's the dumbass? You're such a computer tough guy.
http://www.hinshawsmotorcyclestore.com/new_vehicle_detail.asp?sid=02838556X6K19K2009J6I31 I26JPMQ493R0&veh=94649&CatDesc=ATVs&ModelYear=2009

bferg911
06-19-2009, 05:59 PM
I'd tell you the same thing in person you little punk!! Who pays MSRP anyways

yfzrider690
06-19-2009, 06:01 PM
Wow you are so tough. And if they are dropping 4 grand off of the msrp they must be real desperate to sell those hunk of craps. And I doubt you would be saying anything.

bferg911
06-19-2009, 06:03 PM
Kiss my *** you little ****

yfzrider690
06-19-2009, 06:06 PM
Please stop, you are scaring me. Douche bag.