PDA

View Full Version : Grinding Frame?

Seed
06-14-2009, 07:10 PM
Can some one post a picture of what part of the frame needs to be grinded. Ive heard that when the rear shock is compressed all the way that the swing arm actually hits the frame and is causing very expensive damage. Also can some one look into if they fixed this problem on the new 2010 models also. Thanks.

X400EX
06-14-2009, 09:05 PM
Which model do you have?

If I remember correctly, the MX model doesn't need that mod.

Seed
06-15-2009, 05:14 AM
I believe it was the mx model because the mx model has more travel in the rear shock then the other models. So it would almost have to be the mx model and the other models. Can someone clear this up please and possible pictures to show what part of the frame needs to be grinded. Thanks

ratsracung6
06-15-2009, 09:56 AM
When we ours out of the shop I will try and get a pic.
If you compress the shock with a ratchet strap you will see where the top of the shock body hits the frame. You dont have to grind very much just do a little at a time untill it clears.

TNT
06-15-2009, 03:52 PM
They need to redesign that area of the frame in 2010. I think it’s the same area we had to grind a lot off of to get PEP to work, not hit. I don’t like grinding on the frame, it weakens it and can cause stress concentrations or failed joints. Make sure you blend (feather) it out so the load can move through without concentrating in a stress riser or fatigue crack probagation. If I remember right that frame fitting is carrying major load, transferring load from one side to the other and from the shock and is major structure so be careful with it. I’d take a pic of ours but I’m 1500 miles away from it. :p

Seed
06-15-2009, 04:39 PM
Can you have your son take a pic and email it to you Terry? That way it helps everyone :). That way everyone grinds it correctly and noone gets a pricey bill for damaging the frame or possibly hurting themselves because the frame failed.

TNT
06-15-2009, 04:50 PM
OK Ill ask him to take a pic. Now that I think of it I never got to see ours before I left, I'll post what he sends then we'll go from there. He has a guy in the shop that's pretty sharp w/structures so I trust they did it right. :confused:

PS: Heard we got our cylinder in they should be assembling our motor this week for Round 2. :eek: LOL!

Seed
06-15-2009, 05:00 PM
Sweet, Thanks Terry. Best of luck with round 2 hopefully its not a first round TKO like last time :eek: . Hey think you can also call some people and see if the issue with the frame was revised in the 2010 models. If not maybe we all need to call Can-Am themsleves that way they are aware of the issue of the fram and maybe we can all get a recall to have the frames fixed. Because this could end up killing someone if the frame fails or the back end explodes on a impact from the swing arm hitting the frame.

TNT
06-15-2009, 05:40 PM
I texted him and he will send a pic tomorrow; I hope we are talking about the same thing. It’s the upper shock body (head) that hits the frame not the swing arm? It’s not a good deal since over time the impact load by the shock can prematurely cause the frame to crack or fracture and wear the shock head. The stock KYB’s are not as big of an issue as persay PEPS w/a big head. PEP’s come w/instructions to grind the frame, a hand drawn diagram showing how and where. It took me a while to figure this drawing out, but once you tried to get the PEP in you could clearly see there was no way without lots of grinding…Hard to get area too and you need a good rotary grinder. From what ratsraung6 described above, some stock shock quads need small grinding to clear the frame. I’d venture to say how much will depend on the amount of tolerances accumulated. What I would suggest to BRP is to redesign the area not only for more stock shock clearance but for after-markets too.

PS: You’d be surprised BRP reads these forums….. Good group of folks that listen to racers as much as possible are out to make their products the best they can.

Seed
06-15-2009, 07:43 PM
I appreciate it Terry. Yes I was mistaken had my info wrong about the swing arm hitting, I meant the shock. Either way this issue needs to be fixed. For over time it will crack there's not an if, its when it will. So when it does crack and fail it is going to cause some huge damage to the atv, but could also wind the rider up in the ER. I hope Can-Am addresses this issue before someone does get hurt. Also they should have taken into account that most racers do change out the stock suspension for a better aftermarket suspension. I mean it is a kind of a slap in there face when they are claiming all this race ready, and we are all race and yet they don't accomidate for the aftermarket parts that most racers add or change out.

X400EX
06-15-2009, 09:21 PM
Sorry, I was wrong then.

I'll look forward to see the pics too.

Thanks.

Seed
06-18-2009, 04:46 PM
Wheres the pictures Terry? :)

TNT
06-18-2009, 06:04 PM
Sorry, Trever was out of work yesterday and away from the quad. I just called him to remind him. I know he will be real busy starting today getting our motor together and quad running by the weekend.

Basically, what you have to do for each quad is look at the gap surrounding the head of the shock. As mentioned above, take a rachet tie down and compress the travel then check the gap between the shock head and frame, mark the area that does not have at least 1/8. Grind smooth not to leave sharp corners, feather the contour so load moves through the frame without getting caught up or concentration or probagating a crack.

As soon as I get a photo of ours I'll post it but our PEP's are going to be an extreme case then the KYB's since the shock head is bigger. I wanna see the photos of ours to see if my son even did it right. :confused:

:D

Seed
06-18-2009, 06:20 PM
And if he didn't your daddy instinct better take over and give him and old fashion spanking. LOL. Thanks for reminding him Terry I think there are many people on here waiting to see how to do this mod correctly without damaging or weakening the frame.

TNT
06-18-2009, 09:22 PM
LOL! Yeah he needs a spank sometimes, wait to some of you have a 19 yr old someday you'll look back and wonder how your parents ever made it through. :eek2: :mad:

Listen, if someone can post some pics too, w/the shock removed so I can see the frame since I can't remember it in that area. I would be glad to give a disposition on how to grind the frame properly to prevent interference. Few close up pics with the shock removed so I can see the frame, one from a little distance away of the area so I can see the load transfer(frame and shock), and another of the shock interferring(compressed) if possible. Trev will probably take a shot with his camera phone since I have the good camera w/me and it may not be that good. I don't have a quad to look at here in SC but anyone that wants to post some pics I will give you a repair for your discrepancy. I've done structures engineering for the past 25 years and dispostions like this on aircraft, I think I can handle it just w/photos.

Terry

ScottB125
06-19-2009, 08:50 AM
If there aren't any up in a few weeks, I can post a few. I ordered a PEP earlier this week. They said it would be about 2 weeks

ratsracung6
06-19-2009, 10:46 AM
I will get a pic up the first of next week. Just picked the bike up last nite got home and loaded it in the trailer. We will be headed to Tulsa this afternoon.

A HOT weekend in Okie land woohoo!!!

ScottB125
06-19-2009, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by ratsracung6
I will get a pic up the first of next week. Just picked the bike up last nite got home and loaded it in the trailer. We will be headed to Tulsa this afternoon.

A HOT weekend in Okie land woohoo!!!

Where at in Texas are you from?

I'm in Fort Worth.

ratsracung6
06-19-2009, 12:21 PM
Trenton just south of Bohnam.

ratsracung6
07-06-2009, 09:06 AM
Sorry it has taken so long I tried taking pics of the frame but they just dont come out good enough to see the place that needs grinding. You do have to drop the shock to do it, when I tried to take the pics I noticed it was still hitting so we had to grind it a little more. If yours is hitting you will see the marks on the frame and the shock, just look behind the top mount between the frame and shock you will see where its at.

Scott

Foxstar45
07-06-2009, 01:07 PM
How is this upper shock body hitting a part of the frame? Are we talking a shock with a piggyback? If we are talking about the 09/10 MX then this would not be the case as they are a remote resevoir. Just trying to get a mental picture of whats going on here.

ratsracung6
07-06-2009, 01:30 PM
It is a 09 mx with remote res.

Foxstar45
07-06-2009, 02:02 PM
so what part of the shock is hitting the frame?

ratsracung6
07-06-2009, 02:28 PM
When the shock is compressed all the way the shock pivets on the top mount and hits the frame just below the mount on the back side of the shock. This is the stock shock on the 09mx.
We had our shaft cut down which makes it even worse, but I was told by one of the factory riders that it was happening on the stock shocks too, thats why we did it to ours. We had our shaft cut down to lower the seat height. Like I said before if yours is hitting you can see the marks just look through the frame with a flashlight and you can see it. I tried to post a pic but its to big I will have to get my son to resize it and post it then.
But its not the greatest pic!