PDA

View Full Version : Computer Troubles

CaptainCanuck
06-14-2009, 02:21 PM
I got Shaw to come in today to come reinstall all of my stuff because I just moved into a house and because of where my internet jack was, I just got the guy to hook the internet up in my living room into my DLink Wireless router. And instead of running a cable through my living room and into one of the bedrooms where my computer is at, I just went and bought one of those wireless Linksys USB plugins that pick up wireless internet for desktops. So I got it all installed and my computer is picking up the wireless internet, but for some reason, in my network connections, its saying that my wireless internet connection has limited or no connectivity. So i clicked repair my connection, and it connects for about 5 seconds, and then boots me off again. And I know it connects because I loaded up my homepage before it disconnected me...and it keeps doing it everytime I click repair. It told me to call into Shaw about it, which I did, but the guy was a douche and no help. My IP address is coming up as 0.0.0.0. And everytime I click repair, it fixes the IP temporarily but I think that is whats ****ing it up.

What should I do? Any ideas?

<DRS>GPF
06-14-2009, 02:47 PM
does it ever have a "good" connection?

maybe move closer to the router or get a better antenna.

CaptainCanuck
06-14-2009, 03:12 PM
Great connection. Signal is strong. Router is brand new and works great. Its just something with the desktop that I obviously need to configure. The router is only 15 feet from the computer.

Ellingsoc26
06-14-2009, 05:57 PM
How sure are u thats its not the router most of the time a restart on the router will fix that. It sounds to me that the router is not handin out the ip right so restart it by unplugin it

CaptainCanuck
06-15-2009, 07:04 AM
Got it working by the grace of god. The router was working perfect. It was just the settings I had it on when I installed the software for the network adapter. I actually fluked it off playing with the settings.

8my_Cash
06-15-2009, 01:02 PM
If this happens again try doing each of these since it is a common problem.

Simple fix. Unplug the power to your modem and your router. Wait 10 seconds plug it back in. The router needs to be recycled to recieve the new information from the modem. Restarting both devices makes the router recieve new information and the modem send out new information

or.....

You might need to reconfigure your router because the limited connectivity means that the computer is sending information to the router but the router isnt sending information to the internet.

also the disks suck haha but heres some information for you.

Type this information into your web browser and set it up manually. Fairly simple

For linksys:
Address: 192.168.1.1
Username: admin
Password: admin

For Netgear:
Address: 192.168.1.1
Username: admin
Password: password

For Belkin:
Address: 192.168.2.1
Username and password: leave it blank

Now look at the settings for the internet and wireless. Make sure your wireless has the right password that you want and all that fun stuff.

Now for the internet, for cable you want the router to dynamically find the IP address. For DSL you need to manual enter in the information and that is provided by your DSL provider.

Hopefully that helps in the future :)