PDA

View Full Version : Fcr 39 or edelbrock?

twincat800
06-14-2009, 11:48 AM
i have both but which would be better. the edelbrock might be only a 36mm.

bellzbub
06-14-2009, 12:02 PM
they are both a little touchy to tune but bang for the buck is the fcr. it will not help much without supporting mods though.

full pipe,intake,cams and a big bore all are supported by the fcr. eddy is the same it should be a 38 mm if it is for a z400.

if the mods are not on, a good tune on the stock carb is the best way to go.

twincat800
06-14-2009, 02:15 PM
ive got k&n, cams, rev box, slip on, drz kit. I have both the edelbrock carb and fcr39 carb because i got both for cheap. now i wana know which one would be best.. the edelbrock is actually 34mm by 38mm... so if it were a perfect circle it would actually be a 36mm carb.

jonboy
06-14-2009, 05:32 PM
Get a full pipe and do away with the airbox completely and use the FCR with the ESR airbox eliminator intake kit. Then tune it in and you wont be dissappointed.

twincat800
06-14-2009, 07:51 PM
i am working on getting looney tuned dual exhaust with headers, but i would never get rid of my air box... i had planned on using the fcr carb so i got boots for it on the way in the mail i think the 450r boot, but i got a deal on a 513kit and an edelbrock carb. even though i still dont know if im going to install the 513 kit i just wanted to know what would be best for me carb wise, i hear the eddy would be easier to tune. Just wondering what peoples opinions are because im sure no one has tried both the eddy carb and fcr39...

bellzbub
06-14-2009, 08:11 PM
actually i have tried both, the eddy was a bear to tune but once it was right it ripped. the fcr 39 was easier to tune but i did my tuning on a dyno with that one. that said the fcr is in my opinion the way to go. i have had no problems what so ever with the fcr after it was tuned.

with my mods it was in my best interest to run the 39, i had a fcr40 that was bored to 42 with a ct sonic pipe. it made 52 hp on the dyno but was all up top. with the 39 and the yosh rs-3 full it is at 47 hp but it is more bottom to mid with a decent top end. i run harescrambles so i do not need a top end motor for tight woods racing.

the fcr also made about 4hp more on the dyno when tuned. the eddy was just not big enough for my mods.

twincat800
06-15-2009, 07:41 AM
okay that pretty much made my decision. I paid 250 for the eddy, a bare head, and what was said to be a 513piston and cylinder, so hopefully ebay will give me a little extra money... do you know what jets your running, to give me somewhere to start out with?