PDA

View Full Version : D you think I may have messed up a crank bearing?

rigger
06-14-2009, 07:38 AM
Here I am splitting my cases to go through them and see what kind of shape everything is in.

You know how it goes, tear it apart and if it does not come out, get a hammer. Then if it still does not come, get a bigger hammer and a large pry bar. Then if all else fails, maybe read the manual.

Well I did not go that far but I did lightly tap on the crank to see if it would slide out of the left hand case because I would like to get the case welded up a bit. After it did not move, I looked in the manual and it said not to hit the crank with a hammer because it could mess up bearing alignment.

I do notice a touch of bearing noise that I did not notice before but I was not looking for it before either. It may just be normal. This is suppose to be a new OEM crank in the bottom end.

Do you think I could have messed up anything with a light tapping on the crank and what would be the fix if I did? Would I need to take it to a machine shop and have it press out and pressed back in or what?

Thanks guys.

hondamancbr03
06-14-2009, 11:49 AM
Bearings are like gaskets, change them every time you split the cases (IMO).....Why take the chance when they don't cost that much for a piece of mind and when a bearing goes out there are several other parts that could go with them....Just my two cents.