PDA

View Full Version : Stator

02Wolverine350
06-13-2009, 08:18 PM
I was out riding today and my quad died.I started it back up and then a minute later it died again.

My starter is fried so I have to pull start it.So I started pulling...it wouldn't start.Then I turned off my headlights and it started right up.

I ran it for a while before with the lights on.Then the lights started to get dim.They kept getting dimmer and dimmer.Then when they were almost all the way off the quad died and wouldn't start.

When I turn off the lights it starts right up and runs fine with all power.

Is it possible that the Stator is going bad and isn't making enough juice to run the quad with the lights on and that when I turn them off it frees up enough power for it to run???

Is there something in the CDI box that would control it.

When the battery is charger the lights run off of it but once the battery dies it tries to run off of the stator and kills it.

Anyone have any ideas?

For now I'm just running it with the lights off which isn't a big deal.

keglassg
06-14-2009, 09:56 AM
sounds like a stator to me, but you might try sticking a new battery in it just because its cheaper to try. You can usually have stators tested at your local dealer also. You can check it yourself with a volt meter and see what kind of juice it is putting out.

02Wolverine350
06-16-2009, 05:52 PM
It seemed like a stator the way it was acting.

I charged the battery and am going to take it on another ride and see what happens.It has a newer Yuasa battery.Only about 6months old.

I might take the stator and get it tested if I get a chance but who knows what I'll be getting into this week.

Thanks for the help.