View Full Version : WP vs Works Shocks

IcutMetl
06-12-2009, 09:26 PM
I'm watching a couple pair of used shocks on ebay right now. WP dual rate piggybacks; real nice condition, valved for my weight range, and also a pair of Works triple rate with remote rezzies.

Neither one are ideally what I want, but if they are a good price at auction end, I may snag a pair for my stock front end. My shocks are toast and they beat me up. For now, if I can get something at a good price, I'd settle for replacing my factory a-arms and decent shocks. Do something nice down the road.

SO...which ones are better? I ride mainly XC type stuff...all-around really.

On a side note, I let an Elka rear shock in good condition go for around $275...that kinda chapped my *** that I didn't bid just a BIT more.

Creech52
06-12-2009, 09:55 PM
Im pretty sure WP and Works are the same. Id say if your not looking for something top of the line, either set would be fine. The triple rate would be a better choice as the 3 different spring rates will give a better ride. Also adjustability options, not all shocks are "fully" adjustable, but if your not into messing with a bunch of different settings less adjust might be better, but wont give the best tailored ride.

Then you have to think about condition, do they need rebuilt, were they just serviced ect.

Also the ones already set up for your weight and riding style might be a great choice because it will save you the money of respringing and revalving them.

really its up to you and your budget.

leager-n-ky
06-13-2009, 08:41 AM
I have had both, I liked the WP's a little better, but I have read on here that WP's use a different size shaft, and are hard to find parts for when they need rebuilt.

IcutMetl
06-13-2009, 09:35 AM
Yea, I read the same thread. My whole reasoning is; my stock shocks are old and toasted all around. If I can spend a few bones and get something relatively decent used right now- fantastic.

This winter, it'll get stripped to the frame, frame sandblasted, I'll tig in some gussets and cleant it up then have it powdercoated. When I put it gogether, I'll upgrade then...bit by bit and sell off the leftovers to recoup some of the cash.

thedeatons
06-14-2009, 09:52 AM
WP is White Power, they have been around quite a while. Works is a different ccompany. Many (including me) consider Works to be the entry level aftermarket suspension company. They do not think so, but they certainly cannot compare to Ohlins, Axis, or PEP. WP is not bad, the shocks you are seeing may be take offs from a new KTM. If KTM decided to go with WP, then there must be something to them, because KTM only picks the best for production (They initially used Ohlins as OEM).

Most shock builders keep PEP and Axis seals in stock. Ohlins, Elka, and WP would be a bit more work to get parts for, but in the end you just call the company and order the parts, no big deal.

IcutMetl
06-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Cool. I know that they are different companies, and have heard that Works is considered 'entry level,' but can't say from experience. I figure anything has to be better than stock...especially mine. I'd like to find a good set of Ohlins, Elka, Axis, Noleen, etc in the future...just not going to spend that money right now.

IcutMetl
06-14-2009, 10:54 AM
What would you consider to be the better choice between the two?

I understand the concept of single, dual, triple rate springs. Is dual-triple rate really that much better, and where would it make the most/least difference?

I've been looking at one of those total packages from Hydrodynamics...with the +2 arms, hoses, tie rods, and piggyback shocks. I've found a lot of good opinions on the shocks, plus they have a great warranty. Their springs are single rate- is this a deal killer??

thedeatons
06-14-2009, 03:08 PM
Dual/Triple rate is a huge difference. It makes the shocks more progressive, allowing multiple types of terrain/riding with fewer adjustments. If the springs are not progressive enough then the valving has to be progressive enough to make up for the lack of spring progression.

Not many companies spend the R&D money to get the valving perfect (progressive enough).

The biggest deal is that the shocks are valved/sprung for your weight, the seals do not leak, and the nitrogen charge is full. Doing these three things will make any shocks feel TONS better than before, a world of difference.

If you are simply a recreational rider the single rate springs will be fine. When you get into varied terrain and jumping, then it will be noticeable.

The WP shocks are most likely of higher quality than the Works, simply because of KTM choosing them (that says a LOT). Works is inexpensive though, and they have great customer service. PEP actually uses Works springs on their shocks. Regardless of what you get, make sure you have them serviced and resprung.

James

IcutMetl
06-14-2009, 09:13 PM
Well I ended up paying $282 shipped for the pair of WP's. They look real clean in the pics, and they are dual-rate piggybacks that should hold me off for a while. I researched the company a bit, and it seems like these are what's coming on KTM's now- not sure what these came on first, but they are off of a 250r. They are a German company that seems to make some pretty nice stuff. WP does stand for White Power. I saw that, and I was like oh F'in great...a German company named White Power...probably won't have these for very long... Springs and extra parts appear to be available on their website, although I'm not sure what the exact model #'s are.

Now all I need are a pair of stock upper arms; one of my joints is really loose. I'm going to buy a Race Tech valve kit for the rear and a new spring; fill it with oil and have it recharged. It'll be better than current and buy me some time.

Swiper77
06-14-2009, 09:23 PM
I have the .pdf parts list for WP ATV shocks however you will never find seals for them. They used 12mm shafts and no one else did and they quit making seals for them. They are good shocks so enjoy them while you can when they start leaking its trash time, or buy new shafts. If you need parts hit me up I have some junk sets on the shelf.

thedeatons
06-14-2009, 09:53 PM
I know of a great inexpensive shock guy when you need the rear rebuilt. I suggest calling WP with your spring numbers and finding out what weight they are setup for. Don't believe the seller, check it for yourself. This is critical for the feel you are looking for.