PDA

View Full Version : More power?

j_cyrus3
06-12-2009, 05:36 PM
I am looking for more power out of my quad. I ordered a 12.0:1 CP piston for it(time to freshen up) I have a Hot Cam stg II, and a GT Thunder slip-on(if the exhaust matters)

What kind of crank does everyone here recommend? Stroker or stock? Will I lose much reliability with a stroker crank?

I've been told the HRC cam puts out more power than the Hot Cams, is this true? Would I notice a difference if I switched cams?

Is head work worth the $?

Just wanting a good reliable, but powerful motor.

pro-rider46
06-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by j_cyrus3
I am looking for more power out of my quad. I ordered a 12.0:1 CP piston for it(time to freshen up) I have a Hot Cam stg II, and a GT Thunder slip-on(if the exhaust matters)

What kind of crank does everyone here recommend? Stroker or stock? Will I lose much reliability with a stroker crank?

I've been told the HRC cam puts out more power than the Hot Cams, is this true? Would I notice a difference if I switched cams?

Is head work worth the $?

Just wanting a good reliable, but powerful motor.

unless you want to pay to get the stroker crank balanced, they are not very reliable. Head porting is the most realiable mod, because there isnt any moving parts in a port. The cam stage two cam is supposivly(sp?) a more power producing cam, but defferent cams just mean it puts the power in a different part of the powerband.

fastredrider44
06-12-2009, 08:51 PM
I'd recommend Baldwin or TMM for the headwork. You need to get a full pipe, and more compression wouldn't be a bad idea for next time you order a piston. That also requires higher octane that will help.

You could also do the 06 carb/airbox, but it will take a little bit of pull off the top.

As far as crank, I've had pretty good luck out of my factory replacement HotRods crank.

pro-rider46
06-12-2009, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44

You could also do the 06 carb/airbox, but it will take a little bit of pull off the top.

if he upgrades to a fcr, it has a lot more snap and even pulls harder up top, well thats jmho.

rollie
06-12-2009, 09:41 PM
ive got a CP 13.5:1 piston, hot cams stage II, ported head with +1 exhaust valves and my bike rips! im very happy with it, id say go for the headwork

Balaz_73*00
06-12-2009, 10:04 PM
Headwork for surrrrrrrre and i'd go with a stock replacement crank. The HCII is fine...no need to spend to change it out. I think you'd be very happy with your setup and the headwork

fastredrider44
06-12-2009, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
if he upgrades to a fcr, it has a lot more snap and even pulls harder up top, well thats jmho.

Maybe that's the way it is suppossed to work. My buddy and I have identical motors except for he has HC stg 2 and I have an HRC cam, and he has heavy duty valve springs. Before he had the FCR, we were side by side. With the FCR, it has more snap off bottom and more midrange, while I still have more pull on top. In a short drag, it's no contest, he eats my bike up. In a long drag all the way through 5th, It's pretty dang close because when I stretch out the gears, I pull on him, and he has to shift quicker to stay where the power is. Just my personal experience.

His jetting is spot on too, so that's not the case.

I just like when I'm racing and we get to a field section, normally I can gain on nearly any bike. :macho With the exception of KTM525's with work:mad: