PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Not Disengauging

Sir Fix Alot
06-12-2009, 10:50 AM
Please Help.

I have a 01 400ex. My Clutch cable broke at the handle bar lever, the little nut snapped off the cable. Not a problem I ordered a new cable. Heres the problem when I installed the new cable my clutch does not want to disengauge. I called the Honda Dealer and they said maybe when the cable broke the clutch lever at the clutch cover moved back 90 degrees enough to let go of the Clutch lifter pin. Ok so I pulled the clutch cover off as the manual says and looked over the clutch assembly, every thing seems to be ok, the center clutch moves with out the plates in it and the basket moves also.
When I install the cover back on I can not get the Clutch lever either to line up with the Lifter pin or something else. Is the Lifter Pin supose to move in and out of the outter plate about a 1/4 inch. There is no give to the clutch. It seems the Clutch Lever is hitting the Lifter Pin and stopping. A 20 to 30 minute job is now turning out to be a two week operation. Has any boby else had this issue before. I have spent countless hours searching the web and this Forum but theres no info on this subject.

Sir Fix Alot
06-12-2009, 01:52 PM
Oh, I did not mention it is completey Stock and never been a part.

250x_kyle
06-12-2009, 02:55 PM
did you adjust it both at the lever and where it mounts to the motor. remember your old cable was streched and your new would need to be adjusted to a different position.

Sir Fix Alot
06-12-2009, 05:34 PM
I can't even install the cable yet, as the Clutch lever on the housing won't move, Well heres the deal.
When I install the lever and spring in the housing it has to be turned counter clockwise right, Ok.
Now I put the clutch housing on the motor turn the Lever clockwise to match up with the Clutch pin, ok. But then I can not get the lever to move past 90* to get the clutch in disengage, The only tension I get is from the little spring on the lever then it stops completey when it comes in contact with the clutch pin.

cruncher
12-05-2009, 02:11 PM
Did you ever get a solution to this? I am facing the same thing right now. Fought it for an hour and am hoping somebody can give me a tip on this.

thanks,
cr

fishnfergie
12-05-2009, 05:37 PM
Make sure you are turning the bracket the right way. I snapped a cable and the bracket rotated weird.

The cable would hook up but not pull, I looked at it and the bracket needed to rotate the other way if that makes sense. Anyway just look at it carefully.

Also I used a big pair of pliers to turn it at the engine to see which way it actually turned.

Sir Fix Alot
12-07-2009, 12:53 PM
Yes I got the machine running, I have no Idea what the issue was.
But I do remember changing the oil before this happened and used just regular engine oil 10-30W which I should have read the owners manual DUHHHH! and used the honda oil it says to use. So I bought the Honda oil and soaked the plates for about three days while I was waiting for the gaskets to arrive.
What I'm thinking is and anybody correct me if I'm wrong but the regular engine will make the clutch plates and pressure plates stick together, enough for them to not come apart and thats what I think cause this whole mess. Read the Manual

fishnfergie
12-07-2009, 02:52 PM
Regular oil wont make the clutch stick like you describe. It actually makes the clutch slip horribly...

Only use oil that does not say energy conserving on the the label.

katch26
12-07-2009, 04:58 PM
oil is oil as long as its the correct kind. You dont have to pay $5 a quart at the dealership it just has to be safe for wet clutch applications and non energy conserving.

12-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by katch26
oil is oil as long as its the correct kind. You dont have to pay $5 a quart at the dealership it just has to be safe for wet clutch applications and non energy conserving.

They want $10 at my dealership...i use 10w-40 is that ok??

Sir Fix Alot
12-07-2009, 05:05 PM
Thats what I thought about oil too.

But I went threw every possible sinereo(sp) and I could not figure out why I was having the problem I was having, Then the parts just went together and three weeks later and almost selling the 400 I was up and running. Weird.

katch26
12-07-2009, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by nickyroman
They want $10 at my dealership...i use 10w-40 is that ok??
a quart? suck it....lol

I use rotella t......get it at any walmart for less than 10 a gallon. Think about it $10 a quart in a machine that takes 2 quarts with a filter change and youre looking at about 25 (or so) an oil change...put enough hours on it and the price difference alone will pay for a rebuild.

katch26
12-07-2009, 05:10 PM
yeah 10w-40 is fine thats what honda calls for it just cant say energy conserving (extra friction modifiers) and has to say safe for wet clutch applicaions. The rotella I use is 15w-40 I believe.

12-07-2009, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by katch26
a quart? suck it....lol

I use rotella t......get it at any walmart for less than 10 a gallon. Think about it $10 a quart in a machine that takes 2 quarts with a filter change and youre looking at about 25 (or so) an oil change...put enough hours on it and the price difference alone will pay for a rebuild.

(Yes, 10 a quart) I know the only time i ran honda oil in it was the day i bought it off the floor. I buy castrol 10w40. I fill mine for like 10 Bucks. I change it about every 3 weeks, I ride mostly Friday Saturdays Sundays and Mondays then i let my quad sit for the rest of the week.