PDA

View Full Version : just a thought about a CR motor

rigger
06-12-2009, 05:06 AM
I know the CR motors do not have a counter balancer and everyone says the vibration is to much for the R frame but why is it so bad for the R frame and not a bike frame? I grew up on bikes and vibration from a non counter balanced bike was never a problem for frames or for riders.

Just wondering what is so different about the atv vs bike frame.

jcs003
06-12-2009, 05:24 AM
its the way the motor is cradled in the frame along with the heavier, more compact structure of the chassis.

i think the square tubing is an issue for a stock frame.

All250R
06-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Everyone seems so down on square tubing. It's not for every application, for sure, but it's got its merits - maybe the ATV frame isn't one of them, but (and guys like Rusty would have some handy metrics maybe), but I believe if the load is applied from a single direction, you need less mass of the square tubing than you do round for a given strength requirement. If the load comes from multiple directions I believe the opposite is true.

Think IBeam of a big rig truck bed, or the swingarm of a dirtbike. These things have the largest amount of material perpendicular to the load they expect most.

Anyway, I'm not sure how well square tubing stacks up against round in the TRX configuration. I know square is easier to fabricate the cuts for. The TRX frame seems relatively simple (like compared to the LT), so could be Honda thought it was good enough... I'm just speculating out loud at this point.

fastrnrik
06-12-2009, 02:57 PM
I have always heard that dirt bikes lose most of the vibration through the spokes in the wheels. It made sense when it was explained to me. I'm no engineer. Just my $.02

woodsracer144
06-14-2009, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by fastrnrik
I have always heard that dirt bikes lose most of the vibration through the spokes in the wheels. It made sense when it was explained to me. I'm no engineer. Just my $.02 that sounds good but imo we have alot more rubber touching the gound... why wouldnt that suck it up? mabie im just not htinking right but i think that makes sence