View Full Version : Small block ford choices

hondariderdylan
06-11-2009, 06:31 PM
I am currently working this summer to put money into my bronco this fall

the first item on my list is an engine swap, the truck currently has the 4.9 300 ci I-6 with 215,000 miles on it and i was wanting to swap it out for a 5.0 or a 351

once i pick up another job it will end up with a 6 inch lift and probably 35 or 36 inch tires on it

anyone have any experience with a swap like this?
im kinda new to this so what else do i need for the swap?

fastredrider44
06-11-2009, 07:25 PM
I voted 5.0. Parts are plentiful and they are proven motors. Easier to find than a 351 Windsor motor anyway.

Tommy Warren
06-11-2009, 07:32 PM
yeah go with the 5.0... just make sure you do up the tranny before you do up the motor. i've always had tranny problems with the 5.0. and a 5.0 might be able to work on your current tranny. just make motor mounts and put heavier springs in it. also i dunno what year it is but if it had a carb don't try to convert it to EFI its a pain in the junk!!

Kickstarts-suck
06-11-2009, 09:00 PM
Id go with a 351w

More torque for a 4x4 bronco. Ive owned a 5.0 and 5.8 and the 351 is much better then the 5.0.

KXRida
06-12-2009, 05:50 AM
I'm assuming that this is a full size bronco seeing that it has the I6 in it.

If I remember correctly 351's used to come in the full size B's, so you can probably find most of what you need in a junk yard. Do a light overhaul on the motor, put a 4 barrel on it (or if you want to get fancy, FI), and get it in good working order. After that grab yourself a C4 or C6 (AOD if you want overdrive), an NP205, make sure the rest of your drive train is in good working order and you've got the basics to start out. My words of advice, make sure you have EVERYTHING you need and ready to go before you start the swap or it'll drag on forever. Trust me on that.

5.0's are good and all, but everybody does them. I'm hoping to snag up the 396 out of my brother's ranger next summer for my ranger.

Be prepared to do some tweaking and fanagling with the swap. Remember, it's not an out of the box fit so be patient when you do it. It'll pay off in the end.

8my_Cash
06-12-2009, 11:13 AM
Hell in my honest opinion i would keep the I-6. That motor will never die it may lack in HP, i believe 150 stock, but the torque it has is unbelievable, around 300 i believe.

Depends on what you are trying to do because the I-6 never will let out. I know plenty of people with 300k on the stock motor with no rebuild. Those motors are tanks. I had one in an 84 f150 and it would never die, haha

But if you are going for something that is more high performance i would go with a 5.0 over a 5.8. This is because 5.0 stuff is cheap and plentiful.

hondariderdylan
06-12-2009, 11:48 AM
thanks for the feedback

yes it is a 1992 full size XLT
im not sure of the correct name of the tranny but its a non granny gear 4 speed with overdrive, depending on how i like it soon, i might keep it

my buddy has a built and bored 5.0 with EFI and he still wants to throw a holly double pumper on it and be done with it, so i will probably go that route

keep the replys coming:cool:

Titanium
06-12-2009, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Kickstarts-suck
Id go with a 351w

More torque for a 4x4 bronco. Ive owned a 5.0 and 5.8 and the 351 is much better then the 5.0.

5.8 and the 351 are the same motor;) .......anyways your going to need engine perches for your motor mounts out of a v8 f150 or bronco of around the same year as yours. your also going to need a bigger radiator. possibly a diff kick down cable depending on tranny. there's a few other things you will need i just cant remember them right now i've done the swap a couple times. As far as motor choice i would pick the 5.0 just because the aftermarket world for them is endless. i would stick with fuel injection though. Try looking for a H.O 5.0 out of a mustang. Or you could just find an explorer with a 5.0 in it they came with H.0 5.0's in them with GT40 heads.

hondariderdylan
06-12-2009, 03:59 PM
thanks for the pointers
:cool:

Kickstarts-suck
06-13-2009, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Titanium
5.8 and the 351 are the same motor;)

I know I have both.. ;)

You know what they say.. No replacement for displacement.. Plus the 351 and 302s get about the same gas mileage.. chit 460s get about the same too :p

BakerRacing40
06-13-2009, 02:56 AM
depending on how hardcore your going to make it... ;) you might look into putting... shh!! chevy parts to it.. you can buy parts way way cheaper.. not starting the dreaded ford vs chevy deal. i own both. the 300ci I-6 was the best engine ford every made, the torque and reliability is unbeatable. on your project if you want to v-8 it, i'd put a solidly but reliable 350 sbc, transmission- 700r4 , transfer case not sure bout cheap ones but a 2 speed atlas would be awesome. suspension i'd go down to a salvage yard and find some good axles front and rear for a straight axle swap. get measurements on your rear leafs and figure out where to weld on spring hangers for the front and have a spring shop build you some 6" lift springs and get you drive lines made up...

or freshen up you straight six and put 3" body lift and put spring rubbers in the front coils and a lil triming and run 35s decently with little rub or forget the spacers and run 33s

BlaineKaiser450
06-13-2009, 10:29 AM
Id saya 351W. Weve got one in our Cougar, and its pretty nice and reliable

hondariderdylan
06-13-2009, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by BakerRacing40
depending on how hardcore your going to make it... ;) you might look into putting... shh!! chevy parts to it.. you can buy parts way way cheaper.. not starting the dreaded ford vs chevy deal. i own both. the 300ci I-6 was the best engine ford every made, the torque and reliability is unbeatable. on your project if you want to v-8 it, i'd put a solidly but reliable 350 sbc, transmission- 700r4 ,

:huh
haha
your funny:p :p :p :p

hondariderdylan
06-13-2009, 04:57 PM
i just picked up a new idea today guys, i was up by the u-haul place by my grandmothers house and they had some old trucks out back for sale

they had a few 92-96 superdutys that were chassis/cabs and i needed a couple body parts on the front end anyway

but since they are industrial trucks, i figured that they would have 351/460's or deseils

not much interested in the deseil but if i could find a 460 truck, i could pull the sheetmetal off of it i needed, get the motor, wiring harness, etc. and do a swap that way

watcha think?;)

416exfreak
06-13-2009, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by hondariderdylan
i just picked up a new idea today guys, i was up by the u-haul place by my grandmothers house and they had some old trucks out back for sale

they had a few 92-96 superdutys that were chassis/cabs and i needed a couple body parts on the front end anyway

but since they are industrial trucks, i figured that they would have 351/460's or deseils

not much interested in the deseil but if i could find a 460 truck, i could pull the sheetmetal off of it i needed, get the motor, wiring harness, etc. and do a swap that way

watcha think?;)

I wouldn't recommend that if you enjoy not having to stop for every gas station...

:chinese:

hondariderdylan
06-14-2009, 05:52 PM
i thought of that too

not sure:confused: