PDA

View Full Version : Drag Racing

pro-rider46
06-11-2009, 04:53 PM
i am starting to drag race my 05 450r alot, and traction is a problem, when i dump the clutch on the road it even spins and leaves marks! i heard that a no link setup provides more traction compared to a link setup. right now i have a +6 swing arm with the stock link and shock, i have razrs now, but i plan to get some american racers here soon. can anyone help me figure something out to get more bite.

also while i am in here, is it possible to lower the front and rear shocks by letting nitrogen out?

thanks for any help.
-steve

usp4u
06-16-2009, 05:16 PM
do not change/buy anything until you have the tires. you run a real good chance of throwing money away making any changes before you get a decent set of tires.

there's a reason the phrase is, "where the rubber meets the road". make it hook, then make it fast.

nakomis0
06-16-2009, 09:13 PM
Could always use your clutch. Release it in a way so your not breaking loose. I never have good luck dumping the clutch on a 4 stroke.

I just stay low and forward, hammer it, and then its just a matter of working the clutch, I try and do my best to limit wheel spin and keep the front end down. When everything is good keep low and throw your weight to the back, to get more weight and traction at the rear wheels.

All this is done real fast of course. Good tires always helps too.

pro-rider46
06-19-2009, 12:05 AM
okay, i have a guy bringin some american racers to the next race, so i will have to try the tires out. even with me sitting on the grab bar, it still wants to spin, so i guess ill experiment with the tires, and see if i can find something that works, thanks guys. ill keep you updated when i get my tires.

06-21-2009, 09:17 PM
I rather dump the clutch and spin on the road rather than wheelie back to the bar. Why rev so high then, you could rev less but still dump it or ease it out more.

pro-rider46
06-24-2009, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
I rather dump the clutch and spin on the road rather than wheelie back to the bar. Why rev so high then, you could rev less but still dump it or ease it out more.

i dont have to worry about it flipping back with a plus 6 swinger, see i want to rev high, dump the clutch, and pull hard forward, and not spin. if your slipping the clutch, or spinning. your losing forward momentum. if i hook up, and dump the clutch, i just got a bad@$$ holeshot, and that can determine the race.

nakomis0
06-24-2009, 06:09 AM
Why you guys say if you slip the clutch your losing momentum, or wheeling it back to the grab bar? The way I look at it your getting the maximum traction to the ground.

Its harder to control the clutch, but the benifits are worth it. I drag race alot, (sand, grass & dirt) and I always have a killer holeshot. As a matter of fact thats where I win the race. I race with piped 450s and 700 Raptors, it seems like all these bikes are the same speed as mine so its down to whoever gets the holeshot, and I swear I kill on the holeshot.

If I had slicks and a massive swingarm, that would be a different story. Tractions there and the bikes long enough so the front end stays down. 'If you can hook up" . Now if you can't hook up, (like 95% of the time) what ya gonna do? Buy more things to help you get traction.. sure if your looking for a purpose built bike. Or, ... use a clutch... Other than that your just spinning your wheels.

Like I said if your looking for a purpose built bike thats different.

pro-rider46
06-29-2009, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by nakomis0

Like I said if your looking for a purpose built bike thats different.

as a matter of fact i am only using this thing for drag racing, just my pockets arent very deep. the setup i used yesterday(still with out slicks:() it hooked like crazy, i bet i had one of the best setups out there. but on other tracks i am just going to have to try the trial and error process. probably stud my razrs on the loose track. here is a pic of my quad so you see what im doing.

when you slip the clutch, your motor is making power, but its not running to the tires, and its not launching as hard as it could have, if your wheeling, all your power is getting to the wheels and its using a lot to bring that front end up. if it stays planted on the ground, you dump the clutch, it doesnt spin. its going to pull the hardest because all of the motors power is going in a forward motion accelating you to the finish line faster.

Ryan'07400ex
07-10-2009, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by pro-rider46
as a matter of fact i am only using this thing for drag racing, just my pockets arent very deep. the setup i used yesterday(still with out slicks:() it hooked like crazy, i bet i had one of the best setups out there. but on other tracks i am just going to have to try the trial and error process. probably stud my razrs on the loose track. here is a pic of my quad so you see what im doing.

If you ask me you just need tires for draging. Last I heard Razrs will spin all day long if your really torquey or dumpin the clutch in your case. I think you should just get some of those big ballon looking tires and you should be set. haha

pro-rider46
07-12-2009, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Ryan'07400ex
If you ask me you just need tires for draging. Last I heard Razrs will spin all day long if your really torquey or dumpin the clutch in your case. I think you should just get some of those big ballon looking tires and you should be set. haha

yep. going to hopefully buy some today, but they guy keeps forgetting them, so we will see if he has them.

kitman
07-15-2009, 04:44 PM
my buddy drags and he swears by being narrow... he had cusom made aarms and axel that are narrower than stock and he said it hooks awsome

pro-rider46
07-18-2009, 11:01 PM
yes, narrower is deffinatly better, i would do it, but at the moments i dont have the cash do to so.

400exrider707
07-19-2009, 11:34 PM
Tires will help tremendously. If you get good tires and are still having issues with traction, next thing to look at is rear suspension setup, and a shorter swinger.

Hutchracer
08-08-2009, 09:20 AM
I was wondering if you ever ran the American Racers yet? I see you have a set of skinnies up front but am wondering if you have gotten a better rear tire yet. Also if you did not know Maxxis is just comming out with a flat track tire. have you ever looked into Jr. dragster slicks on a .125 rim remember sprung weight is a horse power robber

pro-rider46
08-12-2009, 07:10 PM
ya i got the rims, and that other guy kept jacking me around with the tires, so im buying a set of my good buddy. 60 bucks. and they are like new.

Hutchracer
08-13-2009, 06:11 AM
Right on sounds good post some times when you get some

pro-rider46
08-16-2009, 06:08 PM
alright, i can only post times from one place because they are the only ones that have light systems. but its so loose up there, paddles wont work, and neither do nobbies or flat trackers, but ill post up the times when i next run there, which will be on the 12th

Ex_Rider43
08-16-2009, 11:35 PM
Hey you dont need to spend some crazy cash to narrow the bike , just flip your rear hubs and your done ! ;)

Tommy Warren
08-17-2009, 12:13 AM
is your rear shock stiff enough? have you tried different rear sprockets? maybe go down a tooth or 2 in the back and it will help reduce spin and it will give you a higher top speed in first gear. well every gear for that matter. also check out rockymountainatv.com and look at the lowering kits from dura blue that will help a bit. bike looks sick by the way!;)

pro-rider46
08-17-2009, 12:21 AM
well right now with that front shock, the bump stop is the only travel, but even with the razrs it would only spin a little, so the am racers should fix the minor spinning. im real happy with the way it launched, ill probably buy a marvin shaw this winter cause im going to have a lot more motor:)

pro-rider46
08-17-2009, 03:39 AM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
bike looks sick by the way!;)

thanks, heres a new one for ya.