PDA

View Full Version : A tad rich?

BEAVER.989
06-11-2009, 09:07 AM
I took my quad out for it's maiden voyage yesterday, after the addition of my slip-on, filter and new jetting. Overall, it runs great. I'm quite happy with how it turned out. I can't feel any flat spots or anything of that nature.

I did notice a couple of things, though... If I stab the throttle in neutral, it hesitates before it revs and it doesn't hot start now without feathering the throttle. It was never like that before.

I am a tad rich on the pilot and/or needle circuit? I'm thinking about going in 1/2 turn on the fuel screw and/or removing one of the two washers I used to shim my needle. What do you guys think?

BEAVER.989
06-11-2009, 11:11 AM
I've also noticed I have a little bit of black smoke, so I'm definately running a little rich. I'm just not real certain where to make my adjustments.

BEAVER.989
06-11-2009, 04:54 PM
Boy, the lack of response makes me feel like you guys don't like me anymore. :)

I guess I'm gonna just go with my gut and restore the needle to the stock position, fiddle with the fuel screw just a bit and see how it goes.

Since you're all sooo curious, I'll be sure to report back with how it went. :D

racerdan24
06-11-2009, 09:02 PM
I have the same issue...I look at it this way....if it is pretty close and is running rich...Its better to have to replace a spark plug once in a while then run to lean and hurt the motor.

Eviltanker
06-12-2009, 05:24 AM
Try dropping back to a 40 on the pilot, do a plug chop then if thats good put your a/f at about 2 1/2 out. That shoud give you more of the responce youre looking for.

BEAVER.989
06-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Well, before I had a chance to read these responses I went home, removed the needle shims and adjusted the fuel screw to about 2 1/4 turns out. By the time I was finished it was too late to fire it up and see how it worked out... don't want to upset the neighbors.

I'll be taking it for a little spin when I get home tonight. What should I look for to be sure that I haven't leaned it out too much?

BEAVER.989
06-13-2009, 07:24 AM
It now runs awesome. I've ridden it very little, but from what I can tell, I've worked the bugs out. I plan on putting a few hours on it tomorrow, so I'll know more then.