PDA

View Full Version : Worth it or sound good?

matt14c
06-10-2009, 02:24 PM
Well I have never had an R before and had always wanted one. Well there is a local Craigslist ad a guy has an 86 basket case. Said he took it apart 2 years ago to clean some things up ( paint and replace bearings) and never put it back together bought a yzf and lost interest. It has everything needed to put back together along with many spare parts. Its an 86 bottom end and 87 top end. He said he did this because the 87 can be bored further???? Its bored 80 over wiseco piston, new stator, boyseen reeds and spacer along with stock, carb off cr500, cool head. He had the motor in his three wheeler it ran just two weeks ago no problem. Stock rear shock and swingarm, works and stock front shocks with stock a-arms, Durablue axle and he said a new carrier from rocky mtn didnt say brand. newer maier fenders bought them for the rebuild and never used. All wiring, screws, nuts, bolts, seals, bearings, everything needed to just put together and ride. Has the manual and three complete sets of tires and wheels both front and rear one set being paddles. He wants $1000. To me it sounds like a good deal. Running R's on here and other places generally start at $2000+. He said the shocks need rebuilt and the frame and sub is sandblasted and not coated so it will need paint/pc. Should I get this? Anything that I should check out before getting this? It seems with about another $1000 I could have a pc'd fresh shocks R ready to ride. The only thing is I dont know if I want the 80 over bore. Input... Thanks

1promodfan
06-10-2009, 03:04 PM
Well let me put it to ya this way......if I had $1000 extra, I would probably get it. If the motor runs, and there is no problems that is a plus. You get it, paint/pc.....either way you'll prob. have a nice bike. Don't let the .80 bore size scare you. I've seen guys go .120 over. Just my 2cents......

matt14c
06-11-2009, 04:28 PM
Well I added an 86R to my stable. Talked him into $850 for it. Im going to finish my ongoing 400ex rebuild then begin this one. My first R and im pretty pumped!

250Renvy
06-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Too bad, there was a guy selling one near flint for $450. I personally think if it's a basket case $850 could be too much.

It's also too bad you didn't have a little more money as there was a fully aftermarket 250R for sale near you for a good price.

If you do the work yourself it may not be that bad, but if you have to get the motor rebuilt professionally you should know going into it that by the time you have it in good condition and fully ridable, you'll likely have $3-4K into it depending on how bad it is maybe less if it's just in parts and not really a basket case.

On the 87 cylinder, .80 over is almost as far as it can go. The 86 cylinder had the bigger size pistons. You could go with a 86 piston and a spacer plate if you need to go any bigger. Otherwise you'll need to resleeve which can cost $180 for the sleeve and upto $200 for the install.

matt14c
06-11-2009, 07:12 PM
The motor is together and runs so no real surprises there. The rest everything is there it will just need a new throttle cable probably brakes but there not that bad and some suspension or rebuild the current suspension. I just laid everything out in my basement and he gave me a repair manual so I was kinda flipping through and reading looking at pictures and somewhat dry fitting if you will. The motor he raved about and said it had all kinds of work done by a shop that has been working with my family for many years with sled motors so I checked with them to make sure all he said was correct he indeed it was. they know of the fourstrokes ive had and what I have and they told me I better be ready to hold on! As far as more money into it it will be far from $3-4K unless I go with completely new suspension which will be my last resort. Im getting it PC'd so that isnt a necessity but will bump the cost up but also be somewhat of an investment so 6 months from now I dont have to re rattle can it. Im thinking $1500-2000 is what I will need. That will be for some nice shocks, arms, pc, cables, and misc stuff that I feel like either replacing now or next winter like brakes. But there is like enough spare parts for 1/2 another bike. There is two sets of shocks both front and rear, two swingarms, two axles both straight good splines, he has like 3 lock nuts in there, two carbs, two wiring harnesses, couple links for rear shock so hopefully can sell some of that stuff to help fund the project. Other than the the PC work though really I could put together and throw the stock shocks on there and prolly ride it this weekend. But its my first R and Im going to do it right!:macho

so $3000 buck or less I will have something that I have wanted for awhile and know how and who put it together.