PDA

View Full Version : grinding noise...help!!

dirtrider77
06-10-2009, 01:37 PM
so when i give it throttle in neutral lets say, when it revs back down it makes a big click, like metal hitting.....then when i am driving it starts grinding inside the motor...what could this be?? could it be the clutch, because clutch is very stiff, and guy i got it from said they put a hinson basket in, maybe they messed sumthin up? anyone have any ideas?? thanks

Scro
06-10-2009, 02:42 PM
I would pull the right side cover off, and make sure everything was installed correctly. Also make sure the bolts for the clutch basket were installed with locktite, and peened on the opposite side.

dirtrider77
06-10-2009, 03:18 PM
ok..im pretty sure its the clutch because sometimes when i take off it dies, like clutch slipping....so ill check the clutch

does this sound logical?

dirtrider77
06-11-2009, 05:19 AM
i took the cover off and nothing looked out of place? should i remove clutch and reinstall?

or is the crank bearing the prob

i have a 2004

Scro
06-11-2009, 07:00 AM
Well something is definately wrong. I wouldn't put it back together or ride it, until I found out what was causing the grinding. The crank won't be causing any grinding. It normally just goes out, with the only warning being shavings in the oil filter.

If it's grinding, there are probably shavings somewhere. Did you see any on the clutch side?

dirtrider77
06-11-2009, 07:22 AM
nope no shavings anywhere, however the clutch basket seems to be wore, i havent took it off because i have to get the tool, but by feeling it, i think it needs replacing, also when i took the disks out, there was a fiber, then a random metal ring (not the metal clutch plate) then another fiber, then metal, fiber, ...

what was that ring there for??

Scro
06-11-2009, 09:12 AM
Did it have sort of a curve to it, and one of the last metal pieces to come out of the basket? If so, it was the judder spring. Can you post a pic of the it, and the basket also.

dirtrider77
06-11-2009, 11:16 AM
yup from your description its the judder spring...whats it do?

and i will get pics of basket when i get the tool you use to assist in removing it

...sorry for all the questions but this is my first 450r and my first time inside the motor, and i dont have the money to pay someone to do it all (and i wanna know how to do it myself)....so im just learning so i know how to do things the right way =]

Scro
06-11-2009, 12:36 PM
The judder spring allows the clutch to slip a little when you are first taking off. Alot of people remove the judder spring and the smaller steel, and replace them with a regular steel. This engages the clutch a little harder when taking off. I personally like it better with the judder installed.

dirtrider77
06-11-2009, 01:25 PM
ok.......so for the heck of it i removed the judder spring and then just went with the regular fiber, metal, fiber, metal, etc. pattern

and then i noticed that there wasnt any oil in the transmission side!!!!!

so after oiling up i took it for a ride and the clutch didnt slip as much (like you stated)...but my clutch must be horrible becuase it would still slip a little...but i have another entire basket, inner hub, discs, etc. on the way.!!!

and there wasnt any clicking when i let of throttle, and it didnt grind!!!!!

lol, the most basic things will get you everytime

so now i see where my problems were

grinding was a result of no oil, and stuff was literally grinding together

and the slipping was because i have a pos clutch

finally i got it fixed

and Scro, you are a very helpful person...thanks

but now...i realised that my upper left a-arm is slightly bent..the bar furthest away from quad is bent in half an inch...and the left tierod is bent in the middle about half an inch..and my left wheel is bent.....so im thinking someone must have flipped it and it landed pretty hard on the left side..lol

but other than that the quad is in good shape

i paid $1500 for it with these mods:

-port polish head
-bored .40 over
-weisco 13-1 piston
-carb has been jetted with k&n kit
-nerf bars
-fat foot pegs
-metal heel guards
-hmf exhaust
-pro taper contour bars
-teather kill switch
-swingarm skid
-full bully skid
-lonestar carrier
-gforce axle
-key relocated
-front bumper
-rear grab bar
-shock covers
-parking brke block off
-case saver
-several billet accesories

and im putting new tires $200, and a $50 axle bearing, and great condition plastic w/graphics $200 and i put a good stock clutch in it $100 and to replace tierod and aarm $50

so i will have like $2200 in this quad, and there will be nothing wrong with it...its a 2004

could i get that much out of it???

how much do you think i could get??

Sorry for the extreeeemely long post, but thanks!!!

Scro
06-11-2009, 01:43 PM
You could get $2200 easily.

dirtrider77
06-11-2009, 01:59 PM
ok...thanks...im gonna put the clutch, tierod and aarm on and ride it for a few hours, and if everything is good, i will prolly dump a couple hundred into some look good accesories..and price it at about what??? $3,000???

or i might just keep it

and while im at it, i would like to trade my stock head that has been ported, polished, bored .40 over, with weisco 13-1 piston, and rings installed.....for a completely stock head with the pistons and rings....my head works fine and runs good, but i want to ride a stocker for a while until i get used to the power and feel of the quad...this is my first 4stroke...ive always had banshees, blasters, etc.