PDA

View Full Version : sprocket replacement ?

wvwoods
06-10-2009, 06:54 AM
My front sprocket on my 450r is beginning to get some wear. I would like to replace it but don't want to replace the chain and rear if not necessary. I have read before that you should replace all of it at the same time. What do you all think? Is it okay to just replace the front sprocket or will this cause problems for me?

F-16Guy
06-10-2009, 11:20 AM
You can replace any one piece by itself, but that piece will most likely wear much faster than if you replaced the whole set.

BakerRacing40
06-10-2009, 05:35 PM
it'll be ok to just replace the sprocket on the engine. it'll wear faster than if you did it all at once. but when you think about sprocket wear, think about how often it is engaged to the chain compared to the rear and the contact area of the number of teeth engaged. your front will always wear quicker and i know i can't afford 2 sprockets and chain every time i swap, tires cost too much as it is lol...

wilkin250r
06-11-2009, 07:25 PM
If your sprocket is worn out, it means your CHAIN is also worn out. It's stretched, there is more distance between the links than a normal, brand-new chain.

That means, when you throw a new sprocket in there, the teeth don't fit very well. Best case scenario, you wear out the sprocket faster. Bad case scenario, the chain breaks and strands you a few miles from camp/home. Worst scenario, you break the chain and it spins around and breaks the engine case.

Is it really worth the risk, to save a few bucks?

John451
06-12-2009, 07:26 PM
The ONLY way to replace a separate part is if your sprockets are okay and you replace the chain.. The chain wears the sprocket so if you replace the sprocket the chain's going to put the new one right back down to where the old one was so you're going to need to replace the sprockets then replace the chain every 500 hours. BUT you can put a new chain on pre used sprockets as long as the chain's in better shape than the sprocket.