PDA

View Full Version : 03 Predator 500 with 06 motor choking out. Help!!

500dollarpreddy
06-10-2009, 06:27 AM
Ok just finished up the motor swap in my 03 preddy that sparked my name. I bought it for 500 bucks with a blown motor, and I will post pics when I can, but after I got it running it's just not right.

It has a HMF Slip-on and I jetted it with the motor swap. The carb was set-up for the old 560 motor, so I took out a 135 and dropped in a 155 Main. The thing will start, but seems that the headers get hot quick. They don't glow but just seem hot fast. After running and idiling sometimes will die and restarts ok, I took it for a test spin. It rode fine for about 500 feet only got into 2nd gear, then it died. I got it started back by choking it and had to ride it back on with the choke on. pulled it in the garage waited 3 or 4minutes and started it back up with out the choke, and it was running fine, so I took it down the hill ( mistake, never test ride anything down a hill!!!) rode fine went thru 4th gear, and when I turned around to come back up it sputtered and died, again i got it started with choke on all the way. It was idled high as it should, but would die if I tried to give it gas to ride it home. It would NOT start without the choke, then eventually would'nt start. Thats the mistake I was talking about had to push it up hill about 80 yards.

I'm wondering if the jetting is wrong or what. At the time the airbox lid/carb intake was modified by the previous owner. He took the lid turned the kn filter updie down in the lid and zip tied it in, there fore it would not seal the narmol way so i guess it would be the same as running a str8 filter on the carb. Thats kind of making me wonder if with that the jetting was'nt big enough, which I'm going to turn it around and seal it like normal.

Would that fix it though? I don't think that would cause that problem, but Im on a thread for help too.

oh also the motor sounds a little like its got a little tick evry 4 or 5 seconds. Could the whole problem be a valve adjustment?

Please help!!

500dollarpreddy
06-10-2009, 05:54 PM
Ok sit rep for today. I put the lid back on with the kn filter in the right way then tried to start it. Nothing. It won't start with or without the choke. Idk what gives but I'm going to try to get anwers off here and if not I'm going to take it to a shop.

skin36
06-11-2009, 02:41 AM
check out polarisriders.com theres ton of info and knowledgeable guys there that are willing to help. also check out bigborepredators.com

katch26
06-11-2009, 10:23 AM
youre on the east coast in GA Im assuming sea level. If thats the case, and were talking Mikuni jets, than youre really lean. 150 is the stock jet and can usually get away with a 155 on an aftermarket pipe with stock lid still on and in normal config. The 560 is going to require some additional fuel to boot. Also make sure all your connections on the carb side are solid, if it works it way loose than more air is getting in and causing it to lean out. You may also need to chamge out the pilot jet and mess with the a/f screw

katch26
06-11-2009, 10:50 AM
you had a 135 in a 560? check your valves but mine only hard starts when it cold on tight valves.

500dollarpreddy
06-11-2009, 11:07 AM
Well the guy I bought it from had it as a 560 and says it was jetted for it. I pulled a 135 out of it.

I ride between 500 and 1000 feet.

Also the motor is an 06 outlaw motor. And I just remembered I didn't check the pilot and starter jets to compare what was in it to stock. I know one of them. I think the pilot jet was a 112 and I'm pretty sure stock is 120?

katch26
06-11-2009, 12:29 PM
500-1000 really isnt enough altitude to make that much difference in jetting. The manual states 0-1800 feet and between 40-80 F the jet is a 150. Over 1800 for the same temp is 142.5. Dont get the jet number from the parts fiche because thats not going to be what comes in the bike when you pick it up. Youre going to need somewhere between a 162-175 Mikuni jet and probably going to go 1-2 bigger on the pilot.

stock jetting specs
Main 150
Pilot Jet 45.
Pilot Screw 2.5 turns out

I ran mine at 167.5 and it was stong....a little rich.....but strong and youre talking like 10+ jets smaller than me.

running that lean probably had something to do with the blown motor

500dollarpreddy
06-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Ok thanks for that.

Do you think that is the cause of these problems I have desribed? I have a wide range of main jets that came in the dynojet kit for the main but I guess I will have to pick up a 47.5 or 50 pilot?

katch26
06-11-2009, 12:44 PM
yeah if thats not THE problems its def a huge problem. Now youre saying DJ so is the 150 you put in a dynojet or a mikuni jet? All the numbers Im dropping are for using Mikuni jets, if youre 150 is a DJ than thats the equivalent of roughly a 140 Mikuni. If youre looking to use that kit try the 175 DJ and like a 47.5 pilot. Its been awhile since I had the mikuni but I believe mine was a 47.5.

500dollarpreddy
06-11-2009, 12:49 PM
Yeah sorry I dynojetted it when I did the motor swap. I put IN a 155 main. That's what the kit suggested.

When I ordered it I didn't realize my motor was out of an outlaw but that shouldn't matter right? Its the same 500 I think.

katch26
06-11-2009, 01:02 PM
so DJ recommended a 155 jet? or it ended up needing a 155 jet after having it dynotuned? 155 is too small if it a DJ, if youre talking about the 155 that came with the HMF thats a Mikuni. The motors are the same, it may need a slight difference in jetting in the outlaw frame because the airbox set up is different but in a fred frame using pred components there will be no difference

500dollarpreddy
06-11-2009, 03:02 PM
OK

I reread the kit, and the jet i put in was for the stage 2, thats why it recommended the 155. Since i have a KN filter I should have used the stage 3 which recommended the 175 ( sound familiar?)

So I took YOUR advice and dropped in the 175 Main. The original jet I took out, when i first jetted it with the 155, is marked 112 but it is huge compared even to the 175. IDK if the guy drill it out or if its made by another company but its kind of odd with the marking but makes sense to be huge since it was a 560.

Anyways the thing runs like nothing i have ever had!!! No sputtering, very little lag, and it seriously threw a donut in the cul de sac when I was turning it around, well the ground was a little wet from a quick shower, but runs like a bat out of hades none the less!!!

Thanks alot for the tips, saved me alot of time, headache, and money!!!

Now the next task is to change out the front shocks. The right shock's spring retaining ring is stripped out, and would like to have the piggybacked resivoir design anyway. SO if anybody has a set with red springs I am very interested!!!

Thanks again for the help!!!

katch26
06-11-2009, 03:09 PM
hey bro good to hear!, when you stab it and let it go does it sound like popcorn as it rev down?, if so up that pilot and should fix that flat spot at the beginning when it hesitates.

weird about the last jet......theres really only Mikuni or DJ. All those ready made jet kits with other names on them are just made by dj and repackaged. I wonder if its a worn 172 mik jet. People do drill jets but to me anyways it doesnt really sound like the best idea
http://i43.tinypic.com/2em3dpd.jpg

500dollarpreddy
06-11-2009, 05:59 PM
Yeah man it does sound like popcorn, when its revving down with drag.

im looking for another pilot jet right now so....

Hey i noticed in another thread you have some shocks you might wanna sell?

One of mine are toast and I need a replacement. I would like to have the rezzies but not absolutely necessary.

500dollarpreddy
06-11-2009, 09:19 PM
That's weird I got an email saying you replied but I see nothing on the thread???

katch26
06-12-2009, 12:09 AM
yeah I sold those awhile back, sorry