PDA

View Full Version : 2009 trx400x 38mm carb?

ae13291
06-10-2009, 02:46 AM
i just read on the honda powersports main website that the new 2009 400x has a 38mm carb, is that true? or is it the same?

ae13291
06-10-2009, 01:20 PM
so nobody knows??

GPracer2500
06-10-2009, 02:05 PM
same carb it's always had

F-16Guy
06-11-2009, 06:49 AM
Honda has always diappointed me with the 400ex. It could be so much more than it is with just some basic yearly upgrades (and I don't mean BNG). As soon as the 450r came out, the 400ex should have gotten some 450r spec shocks and the 42mm carb. Honda should have also put their ear to the ground and listened to what people were doing to the engines. They could have roll formed the head stud threads, changed the cam profile (if even just to the XR400 specs), and bumped the compression up by changing the deck height to achieve the proper squish band. Those changes would have been at a bare minimum cost, and would have totally changed the quad and put it on par with the rest of the sport quads out there. Honda went cheap on the quad that started this whole 4-stroke era.

ae13291
06-11-2009, 02:18 PM
yes but that would put the 400ex in pretty good comparison with the 450, then not to many people would want the 450 if the 400 is almost as good and is cheaper

F-16Guy
06-12-2009, 06:59 AM
It's still a totally different quad, though. The 450R will always have way more power potential, and there are a lot of other differences, such as a kick start option, that will make it better for pro level racing. I just think Honda should have kept the 400ex updated like Suzuki did with the Z400. Suzuki put reservoir shocks on it, changed the cam profiles, added fuel injection, and did a bunch of other mid-cycle updates to keep it fresh. Now customers can buy a Z400 for about the same $$ as the 400ex and really not need to spend a penny on it to make it rideable. Throw some arms, an axle, a filter, and a slip-on on it (or just a filter and slip-on for XC), and you have a competitive local racer. You can't do that with the ex.

Snipe
06-12-2009, 12:33 PM
Suzuki and Kawa are just a waste any company that will have there quads role off the same assembly line is a joke imo there the same as kymco what a joke.

the 08 is reported to be a 38mm as well and I honestly think its true as what would they have to gain by saying its a 38 instead of a 36 not much lol.

06-12-2009, 01:25 PM
Dude, honestly? Get with the modern times. Saying suzuki and kawasaki are a waste is just an ignorant statement. You, I, and pretty much everyone else knows damn well that the z400 is a great package, and a MUCH better deal then the 400ex. The 400ex lost all the shootouts against it, and for the same price you get much better piggyback shocks, liquid cooling, double overhead cams, and EFI. To top it off the Z400 has a lot more potential engine-wise then the 400ex. (I mean check out gust's old Z450. It kept up with the other race built 450's no problem) And the engine has proven itself.

The LTR450 and KFX450 have also both proven themselves to be great quads. May not be the best in the bunch, but great.

GPracer2500
06-12-2009, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Snipe
...the 08 is reported to be a 38mm as well and I honestly think its true as what would they have to gain by saying its a 38 instead of a 36 not much lol.

Honda's press release info for the 2003 400ex listed the carb as 35.5mm. Then, inexplicably, in 2004 their press release (http://www.hondanews.com/categories/133/releases/1584) for the 400ex stated it was 38mm. And it wasn't in the "New for 2004" area of the document.

The part number for the 2003 and 2004 carb is identical. There is no evidence in the 400ex's parts manual to suggest the carb changed sizes in any other year. Plus, the anecdotal evidence I've seen reported suggests the carb bodies are the same size. Plus, my OEM service manual (date of issue: Sept '99) says the carb is 38mm.

There's one dubious thing (the '03 vs. '04 press releases) that suggests the carb changed sizes. There are several solid things that suggests it didn't. My theory is Honda's original press release was incorrect and they never noticed the error or bothered to correct it until 2004. Little else seems plausible to me.

$0.02

F-16Guy
06-12-2009, 01:33 PM
Yeah, that was a pretty ignorant statement. I'd buy a KFX or LTZ before I bought a 400ex simply because of their upgradeability. The 400ex is too entry level for the price they want. You can't keep a quad the same for a decade while everyone upgrades and still demand the same price for it. Now that the LTZ has a better engine, FI, reservoir shocks, and a Honda-style rear carrier, I can't think of a reason NOT to buy one. It's one of the best deals out there, if you ask me.

Tommy Warren
06-12-2009, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
It's still a totally different quad, though. The 450R will always have way more power potential, and there are a lot of other differences, such as a kick start option, that will make it better for pro level racing. I just think Honda should have kept the 400ex updated like Suzuki did with the Z400. Suzuki put reservoir shocks on it, changed the cam profiles, added fuel injection, and did a bunch of other mid-cycle updates to keep it fresh. Now customers can buy a Z400 for about the same $$ as the 400ex and really not need to spend a penny on it to make it rideable. Throw some arms, an axle, a filter, and a slip-on on it (or just a filter and slip-on for XC), and you have a competitive local racer. You can't do that with the ex.

If you want a race bike get the 450R the 400ex is a reliable purpose built trail bike. IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT!!!

F-16Guy
06-12-2009, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
Honda's press release info for the 2003 400ex listed the carb as 35.5mm. Then, inexplicably, in 2004 their press release (http://www.hondanews.com/categories/133/releases/1584) for the 400ex stated it was 38mm. And it wasn't in the "New for 2004" area of the document.

The part number for the 2003 and 2004 carb is identical. Nor is there any evidence in the 400ex's parts manual to suggest the carb changed sizes in any other year. Plus, the anecdotal evidence I've seen reported suggests the carb bodies are the same size. Plus, my OEM service manual (date of issue: Sept '99) says the carb is 38mm.

There's one dubious thing (the '03 vs. '04 press releases) that suggests the carb changed sizes. There are several solid things that suggests it didn't. My theory is Honda's original press release was incorrect and they never noticed the error or bothered to correct it until 2004. Little else seems plausible to me.

$0.02
Just to add to that: It also seems like it would be almost impossible to shoe-horn a 42mm carb into a 35.5mm boot. If people are doing the conversion without modifying the boot (which a lot say they are), then it seems like 38mm would be a lot closer.

F-16Guy
06-12-2009, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
If you want a race bike get the 450R the 400ex is a reliable purpose built trail bike. IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT!!!
Tell that to GM and Chrysler. You have to keep up with the Joneses. You're right that it will never be a race quad, but for a very small investment using equipment they had on hand, they could have given customers a lot more for their money. Even riding in the woods and trails, a little more power and much improved front shocks would make a huge difference.

06-12-2009, 01:58 PM
Tell that to GM and Chrysler. You have to keep up with the Joneses. You're right that it will never be a race quad, but for a very small investment using equipment they had on hand, they could have given customers a lot more for their money. Even riding in the woods and trails, a little more power and much improved front shocks would make a huge difference.

Exactly.

If that saying "If it ain't broke don't fix it" was true, we would still be riding trx125's and old bikes. our sport wouldn't be anywhere near where it is today, and would've never grown.

Seems like all the Honda guys say that as an excuse because Honda DOESN'T upgrade their stuff. But I heard those bold new graphics add 15hp.

BEAVER.989
06-12-2009, 02:03 PM
+1 a-arms, 450R style shocks and advanced timing from the factory would make a huge difference for very little extra cost.

ae13291
06-12-2009, 09:52 PM
yea i have been looking at ltz400 and kfx400's for my brother, man im surprised at all the things a z400 has now, they really stepped it up with that thing, the 400 is still the same technology and i think its still that way because of how reliable it is.but it would be nice to have some better shocks 4 sure

RaginRedneck
06-13-2009, 03:25 AM
In all honesty you would think that Honda would give the 400 the same shocks as the 450R. Think about, by increasing production on the 450r shocks they would probably save money by eliminating a part#, reducing manufacturing costs, and eliminating a varied step in assembly.

My .02

06-13-2009, 05:28 AM
You also have to take into consideration, that, they will need to re-valve and re-spring the shocks. The 400ex is meant to be a trail bike, so the stock 450r shocks would not be the best thing for it.

RaginRedneck
06-13-2009, 01:41 PM
Valid point, but I would think that just having the outer core and reservoir being the same, a quick change of internals would be cheaper??? Not sure, I'd have to see the production numbers. Just a quick observation.

There is a reason that Auto Companies use the same platform for multiple vehicles. It saves time, materials, and labor. Originally the Ford Expedition shared the same frame as an F-150. GMC and Chevy trucks share the same frame, motor, and drive train...etc, etc, etc.

Punkmaster Flex
06-13-2009, 02:50 PM
It's one of the best deals out there, if you ask me.

Dont forget the Arctic Cat DVX400. From now I think that's what I'm going to get instead of a 400EX. Heck, a 2006 DVX 400 sells for like 500$ more than a 400EX of the same year. And it's a friggin Z-400 with different plastics!

The DVX is only cheaper because Arctic Cat was never a really cool brand in sports quads. It's still a killer deal if you like the Z-400's reliability and want to save $$$ or just like the unique look of the DVX.

06-13-2009, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Punkmaster Flex
Dont forget the Arctic Cat DVX400. From now I think that's what I'm going to get instead of a 400EX. Heck, a 2006 DVX 400 sells for like 500$ more than a 400EX of the same year. And it's a friggin Z-400 with different plastics!

The DVX is only cheaper because Arctic Cat was never a really cool brand in sports quads. It's still a killer deal if you like the Z-400's reliability and want to save $$$ or just like the unique look of the DVX.

Yeah but the DVX didn't receive the updates that the z400 did if I am correct. I believe it's still the same as the 2008 Z400, which doesn't have the fuel-injection, wider stance, and improved shocks. Still has gas shocks though.
So honestly for the same price as the DVX, you can get the newer version of the same bike lol.

honda400-4-ever
06-13-2009, 07:36 PM
its surprsing how outdated the 400ex is compared to the rest!!:(

Snipe
06-13-2009, 10:43 PM
I love how everyone says the z400 and kfx400 are so much better there just so flippin awesome that they would buy one over the ex but ya know something? Every damn one of them are riding a 400ex go figure.

And statement still stands they role off the same line and are the exact same bike and no one mentioned 450's

If the 400ex sucks so bad how come they sell so many?

06-14-2009, 07:16 AM
I love how everyone says the z400 and kfx400 are so much better there just so flippin awesome that they would buy one over the ex but ya know something? Every damn one of them are riding a 400ex go figure.

And statement still stands they role off the same line and are the exact same bike and no one mentioned 450's

LOL, because I don't like the older z-400's and can't afford the new model. I got a good deal on my ex, that's why I bought it. And I prefer the 400ex over the older z's and kfx's.

And if I did have money for the new Z400, I would just buy the black KFX450 at our dealer for $5999 lol

F-16Guy
06-14-2009, 09:55 AM

No such thing as a Z400 or 450R when I bought my EX. :cool:

I like my EX, but these days, the Z400 and it's clones are a far better deal. If I were just starting out today and bought a new Z400, I could get to/past the performance point I'm at with my EX much quicker and less expensively with the Z400. Those are the facts, and it's a shame, because Honda could have made the EX so much more.

Snipe
06-14-2009, 11:12 AM
Yeah there pretty good bikes my cousin owns a kfx400 its setting in his barn with a cracked head pretty sweet ride :eek2: .

The 400ex is cheaper to build, easier to find parts for and just a awesome quad. Hell even the glorified kfx and z designed alot of there parts after the ex. Only thing really different is the liquid motor that I personally hate, and the shocks. But most ppl out there upgrade shocks from stock anyway so who flippin cares about 2 mph. you will find my *** on a ex for the fact that its a very good machine and can be modded out the *** to do whatever I want it to. And yes I love the air cooled bike I dont trust the radiator on a liquid cooled.

honda400-4-ever
06-14-2009, 01:52 PM
\ I dont trust the radiator on a liquid cooled.

yep i agree just another thing to worry about

F-16Guy
06-15-2009, 08:22 AM
Yeah there pretty good bikes my cousin owns a kfx400 its setting in his barn with a cracked head pretty sweet ride :eek2: .

Some people can F-up a crowbar in a sand box. I've read about a lot more 400ex head problems than with the Z400. I've owned liquid cooled dirtbikes for decades without any problems, so there are arguments for and against that. The LTZ/KFX/DVX quads just have more to offer these days for the money spent. Spend $1000 in aftermarket parts on a 400EX and a Z400 and see who comes out ahead. I can put my brand loyalty aside and concede that it isn't the Honda.

bigbad400
06-16-2009, 11:00 AM
put all these good ideas to use and wright a letter to honda. they have there reasons they dont update, and i believe its like the guy in the beginning said, its not built as a competitor to the z/kfx/dvx, its a purpose built trail quad, built to be reliable, sporty and fun, and for ENTRY level racers to learn to ride. they dont want to loose that factor in daddy buying his boy the first real quad hes ever had, but not wanting his son to kill himself. the other 400s are much faster reving motors, i ride with a z400 that has big gun pipe and filter and i can beat him but only on top, were neck and neck till fifth gear. i have more mods than he does. there faster.... if i was buying one again id get a can am 450 xc, or a ktm 525xc. nobody wants to leave a 400ex for one of the 450s and step up to second best again with honda or suzuki or something why not get the race winning out of the box winner just like your saying with the z400. if any one needs more than a ktm525 to toy with you need to build your own quad maybe think about a fully built quadzilla motor in a 250r.:macho and a body bag to go with it:(

but i love my ex and i cant see getting rid of it for anything less than the best out there. thats my opinion and i have a feeing that honda kinda thinks the same way.

2001trx400ex
06-16-2009, 10:28 PM
yes its the same size carb as the 1999 through the 09's